• New Zealand Warriors
    • North Queensland Cowboys
    • Parramatta Eels
    • Penrith Panthers
    • South Sydney Rabbitohs
    • St George-Illawarra Dragons
    • Sydney Roosters
    • Wests Tigers

Roosters - they have the best squad and Tedesco will only keep getting better.

I do like the look of the Panthers, hope they challenge all the way and don't fade 

On a whim I'm going for Canberra this year. They blew countless leads last year losing  many games by less than six. They were also the highest point scorers.Croker should be back from injury tho Rapana will be missed. 

Bit left field here however I can see Cronulla doing it.... Would have said Roosters however going back to neck in the NRL is tough.... Cronk is a year on. And they lost the underrated Blake Ferguson who imo is a great all round player...

Cronulla... They may have had alot of issues going on off the field, however with solid Townsend and the mecurial Johnson as a HB Pair, Dugan in the centre or at FB and Fifita and Gallen in the pack plus the other talent they have means they are in with a good shout.. Johnson can step up and lead a side to winning the NRL here? 

Edited by Southerner80

Knights loyalist for 25 years so probably a bit one eyed. We're recovering from the devastation of the Tinkler era and now have a team capable of having a real dig this year. In Kayln Ponga we have undoubtedly THE talent of the game at the moment, and with the leadership of Mitchell Pearce and David Klemmer we will give anyone a game. Squad depth may be an issue, but we're up for Premiership Number 3!

Edited by nkpom
Spelling error
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Irish Saint said:

On a whim I'm going for Canberra this year. They blew countless leads last year losing  many games by less than six. They were also the highest point scorers.Croker should be back from injury tho Rapana will be missed. 

No halves. No consistency

10 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Panthers. Think they’ve been building a good side over the last few years and now is the time for them to deliver. That doesn’t mean they will, mind. 

I dont like Cleary as much as everyone else. Wouldnt be surprised if they were top 4, nor would i if they didnt make the 8...

8 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

Bit left field here however I can see Cronulla doing it.... Would have said Roosters however going back to neck in the NRL is tough.... Cronk is a year on. And they lost the underrated Blake Ferguson who imo is a great all round player...

Cronulla... They may have had alot of issues going on off the field, however with solid Townsend and the mecurial Johnson as a HB Pair, Dugan in the centre or at FB and Fifita and Gallen in the pack plus the other talent they have means they are in with a good shout.. Johnson can step up and lead a side to winning the NRL here? 

All depends on the new coach. Great squad though

8 hours ago, nkpom said:

Knights loyalist for 25 years so probably a bit one eyed. We're recovering from the devastation of the Tinkler era and now have a team capable of having a real dig this year. In Kayln Ponga we have undoubtedly THE talent of the game at the moment, and with the leadership of Mitchell Pearce and David Klemmer we will give anyone a game. Squad depth may be an issue, but we're up for Premiership Number 3!

Cant wait to see Ponga at 6. Top 8 this year and push on next year i reckon.

As usual, Brisbane, Melbourne, Souths and Roosters will be good. Dragons a should also be challenging.

Teams that wont make the 8 is hard to say, but probably Manly, Parra, Gold Coast only. 

Cant wait

• Like 2

Backed Sydney Roosters in a preseason double with St Helens last year and might have won £250 off a tenner if Saints hadn’t let me down.

Unsure who to back this year in Australia.  The Roosters are the obvious choice, but aren’t great value at the bookies at 3/1 in a wide open competition.

Might take a punt on the Bunnies - any others come to mind?

I think the Roosters are a very good chance of going back to back.

They have kept the majority of their 2018 squad with only Blake Ferguson a serious loss while adding a couple of quality players.  More critically, their 2018 additions (Tedesco and Cronk) will hit the ground running this year while Mitchell, Keary and Radley will be one year better as they progress their careers.

They look a very well balanced team with a top quality spine... full back, halves and hooker are all established stars.  They have lost a few up front (Napa and Nuuausala) but they still have a good engine room while I can't think of another team in the NRL with as much strike power out wide.  Angus Crichton and Joseph Manu on the right edge and Boyd Corder and Mitchell on the left just looks immense.

Add to that a thoughtful and progressive coach.

The NRL is such a competitive league but serious injury to a number of key players aside I think the Roosters are the best all round team.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I think the Roosters are a very good chance of going back to back.

They have kept the majority of their 2018 squad with only Blake Ferguson a serious loss while adding a couple of quality players.  More critically, their 2018 additions (Tedesco and Cronk) will hit the ground running this year while Mitchell, Keary and Radley will be one year better as they progress their careers.

They look a very well balanced team with a top quality spine... full back, halves and hooker are all established stars.  They have lost a few up front (Napa and Nuuausala) but they still have a good engine room while I can't think of another team in the NRL with as much strike power out wide.  Angus Crichton and Joseph Manu on the right edge and Boyd Corder and Mitchell on the left just looks immense.

Add to that a thoughtful and progressive coach.

The NRL is such a competitive league but serious injury to a number of key players aside I think the Roosters are the best all round team.

Excellent summing up mate . Other than teams struggling to go back to back in such a competitive league I can’t really see a weak point in them . And they are settled, and with a winning culture now. They’ll have to handle having the big target on their back but they’re set up to do so , and Robinson is very impressive . I just don’t know how Souths and Bennett will gel , I think the Dragons may sadly just come up short again for staying power and depth , and the Storm are always there n there abouts but I feel they may be in a bit of transition . Penrith and the Sharks are big contenders to the Roosters , and my wildcard is the Knights . They were going ok until Pearce got injured , him and Ponga are stars in any team and they’ve recruited solidly again . They should be looking at the 8 now 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Excellent summing up mate . Other than teams struggling to go back to back in such a competitive league I can’t really see a weak point in them . And they are settled, and with a winning culture now. They’ll have to handle having the big target on their back but they’re set up to do so , and Robinson is very impressive . I just don’t know how Souths and Bennett will gel , I think the Dragons may sadly just come up short again for staying power and depth , and the Storm are always there n there abouts but I feel they may be in a bit of transition . Penrith and the Sharks are big contenders to the Roosters , and my wildcard is the Knights . They were going ok until Pearce got injured , him and Ponga are stars in any team and they’ve recruited solidly again . They should be looking at the 8 now 

I can see the Broncos going well this year.  Anthony Seibold is a very good young coach and will be very motivated to succeed.

The Broncos probably have the best young talent coming through in the NRL and I think Seibold could take them to the next level.  2019 may be a little early for them but the Broncos will win the NRL in the next 3 years in my opinion.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

I would love this, but, my concern is the number of Jack the Lad kind of players they have recruited over the past few years. While I think Flanno was well positioned to manage that, it is another thing to promote an assistant (albeit a very impressive one) and expect him to command the authority that players like this require to remain professional.

An outstanding starting line up with plenty of depth in the forwards and even some future stars on the backline bench. Early wins will be pivotal for the coach to hold this season together.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I can see the Broncos going well this year.  Anthony Seibold is a very good young coach and will be very motivated to succeed.

The Broncos probably have the best young talent coming through in the NRL and I think Seibold could take them to the next level.  2019 may be a little early for them but the Broncos will win the NRL in the next 3 years in my opinion.

I was thinking with the new coach bedding in but very highly regarded , and the much vaunted crop of young talent it maybe a step forward and learning curve this year before they really are a premiership force in the coming seasons 

• Like 1

Assuming no serious, season ending injuries, it is hard to believe anyone but the Roosters will win it. Their back line is just amazing. Plus they have a  strong forward pack within which Victor Radley is the rising star. They have got quality cover at full back with winger Brett Morris on board, and three top quality wingers competing for two spots. Their only problem is lack of cover at prop forward.

The Roosters coach and chairman have recruited brilliantly (Cronk, Tedesco, Keary,) and cultivated young talent brilliantly (Mitchell, Manu, Radley). They have a magnificent defence. Moreover they are a joy to watch with ball in hand.

The main challengers will be Cronulla, Melbourne, Souths, Penrith, and perhaps Brisbane. But only serious injuries to a couple of their many stars, will prevent the Roosters from overcoming those challenges.

Edited by Manfred Mann

The Sombrerros ;-). Stable squad. Got rid of two players who are liabilities at times and have off field issues. New signings like Crichton are better discipline and dont carry baggage which can disrupt a team.

Melbourne, Brisbane, Souths, Penrith etc will challenge, but think they all Lack in some area that the Roosters dont.

I'm going with the Roosters too. They really do look like the best combination of flash and solidity.

22 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

A tenner has gone on the Sydney Roosters as part of a 36/1 treble with St Helens and the Toronto Wolfpack to all win their respective Grand Finals.

You have made a good decision with the Roosters and Toronto. St Helens is the big risk.

On 1/20/2019 at 10:14 AM, Manfred Mann said:

You have made a good decision with the Roosters and Toronto. St Helens is the big risk.

Yes, but Saints were actually joint favourites with Warrington when I put on the bet.

Besides it’s only a tenner!