Sign in to follow this  
Damien

NRL to play trial matches in Pacific nations plus Fiji funding

Great news here for the game in the Pacific:

NRL teams will play pre-season trial matches in Pacific nations for the next three years.

The announcement, made by Prime Minister Scott Morrison in Suva on Friday morning, will see at least two NRL Telstra Premiership teams play an official trial fixture within the region in 2020, 2021 and 2022.

The Australian Government have also included funding support for an elite-level rugby league team in Fiji to compete in the NSWRL Intrust Super Premiership.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/18/nrl-teams-to-play-trial-matches-in-pacific-nations/

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Those insular Aussies, eh?

I believe it’s now official policy of the Labor party - who are almost unbackable favourites to win the general election this year - for the PNG Hunters to be in the NRL. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Damien said:

Great news here for the game in the Pacific:

NRL teams will play pre-season trial matches in Pacific nations for the next three years.

The announcement, made by Prime Minister Scott Morrison in Suva on Friday morning, will see at least two NRL Telstra Premiership teams play an official trial fixture within the region in 2020, 2021 and 2022.

The Australian Government have also included funding support for an elite-level rugby league team in Fiji to compete in the NSWRL Intrust Super Premiership.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/18/nrl-teams-to-play-trial-matches-in-pacific-nations/

That is good news.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Those insular Aussies, eh?

I believe it’s now official policy of the Labor party - who are almost unbackable favourites to win the general election this year - for the PNG Hunters to be in the NRL. 

I do not think the Labour Party has much say in what the NRL decide to do.

Edited by Allora
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Allora said:

I do not think the Labour Party has much say in what the NRL decide to do.

I don't think the NRL are going to knock them back in the government is going to put money into RL. I guess it would depend on how much money though I suppose. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, B rad said:

I don't think the NRL are going to knock them back in the government is going to put money into RL. I guess it would depend on how much money though I suppose. 

I don't see what the motivation is for the possible Australian government to pay money for a foreign team to play in the NRL.

I doubt the taxpayers or the other teams in waiting to be invited to join an expanded NRL would be very happy.

The Hunters are not NRL standard and if they are using mainly local players will not be for the foreseeable future.

Its just Labour bull they spin on all sorts of subjects to try gather some minority votes.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Allora said:

I don't see what the motivation is for the possible Australian government to pay money for a foreign team to play in the NRL.

I doubt the taxpayers or the other teams in waiting to be invited to join an expanded NRL would be very happy.

The Hunters are not NRL standard and if they are using mainly local players will not be for the foreseeable future.

Its just Labour bull they spin on all sorts of subjects to try gather some minority votes.

Sounds a bit like our Labour Party 😁

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Allora said:

Australia is only a few kms from PNG at our closest point.

Australia currently gives around $500 million in aid to PNG every year.

PNG has massive social issues and a huge number of extremely diverse cultures that seem to have enjoyment of rugby league as a common factor.

China is muscling in in a big way all over Oceania to gain influence.

Subsidising an NRL team:

-would  help bring social cohesion to parts of PNG through the shared support of a team.

-tie a significant part of PNG’s daily life with Australian cultural life

-offer PNG something extremely culturally appropriate, appreciated and powerful that China would struggle to match.

It would do this and more and be very small compared to the current aid spend in PNG by Australian taxpayers. Although I suspect most taxpayers know nothing about aid spending.

Morrison is oferring to help Fiji most likely to extend our soft cultural power into Fiji in the face of others trying to do the same there.

Having enough quality players may be an issue for PNG.

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, Copa said:

PNG has massive social issues and a huge number of extremely diverse cultures that seem to have enjoyment of rugby league as a common factor.

Subsidising an NRL team:

-would  help bring social cohesion to parts of PNG through the shared support of a team.

-offer PNG something extremely culturally appropriate, appreciated and powerful that China would struggle to match.

It would do this and more and be very small compared to the current aid spend in PNG by Australian taxpayers. Although I suspect most taxpayers know nothing about aid spending.

Morrison is oferring to help Fiji most likely to extend our soft cultural power into Fiji in the face of others trying to do the same there.

While that's all true the problem is that a PNG NRL team isn't commercially viable independent of the government support, and government grants like this never last forever, so once the money is cut off the NRL would have a team in the NRL that can't support it's self and would fold if the NRL didn't support it (in other words they'd have a financial black hole on their hands), and if the club folds or struggles it'll reflect poorly on RL and the NRL not the government... Also if the government was to support a PNG NRL team it'd almost certainly become a political football overnight (just like the stadiums in Sydney) which would be a PR nightmare for the NRL even though it'd largely be outside of their control.

From where the NRL is standing this is a double edged sword... It's great that the sport is getting funding for development and expansion into the Pi's, but if/when that funding dries up it could blow up in their face if they aren't careful, and the last thing the sport (or the NRL) needs is a bunch of clubs spread across the Pi's suddenly going broke all at once cause they can't support themselves.

If the NRL is going to support these sorts of programs then they need to be really careful, for a start they shouldn't let the government pressure them into admitting clubs into their competitions that the NRL doesn't think that they can develop into sustainable clubs independent of the government funding.

If the NRL were smart in most cases they'd try to push the government away from grants for teams to compete in Australian competitions and towards building modern facilities in those nations instead so that the NRL can regularly hold events in those nations, e.g. instead of agreeing to let a Tongan team into the NSWRL/QRL convince the government to build a small stadium in Nukuʻalofa with the promise that they'll hold annual events and internationals at the stadium instead, or even try to get grants just for the events and local development where possible.

Edited by The Great Dane
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, Copa said:

Subsidising an NRL team:

I can not see it happening.

Politics should stay out of this, it should not up to them to meddle in Sport for political reasons.

Edited by Allora

3 hours ago, Allora said:

PNG is resource rich and rugby league is a religion to them.

Connect the dots...

2 hours ago, Pulga said:

PNG is resource rich and rugby league is a religion to them.

Connect the dots...

I connected the dots, it came up with a word that looked like corruption.

Why are they not living off the royalties from the companies exploiting their resources rather than getting Australian taxpayer handouts then?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/oct/16/first-maseratis-now-bentleys-for-apec-in-papua-new-guinea

Edited by Allora
  • Thanks 2

At the end of the day PNG is a third world country with third world problems. Their love for RL is highly admirable but in the case of having an NRL team irrelevant. A nice thought but totally impractical. Their players alone won't be able to compete at NRL level. Who in their right mind would leave Australia to be locked in a compound once the sun went down and living in fear?

• Like 2

I don't know why we pretend a third world nation couldn't support an RL side yet somewhere like Castleford could.

PNG may be a poor country but it's poor an a massively larger scale than places which do support RL sides. There's a huge amount more money in PNG than say Cumbria, or east York's yet nobody would argue they were too poor to support an RL side. 

This is an RL side we are talking about. Not a mission to the moon. At most the amount an NRL side would cost PNG would be within the margin of error of their GDP. It's probably within the margin of error of some mining companies financial accounts. We are talking about amounts that aren't even noticed at a national scale. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

56 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

At the end of the day PNG is a third world country with third world problems. Their love for RL is highly admirable but in the case of having an NRL team irrelevant. A nice thought but totally impractical. Their players alone won't be able to compete at NRL level. Who in their right mind would leave Australia to be locked in a compound once the sun went down and living in fear?

Agree with this completely. It's great they have a Qld Cup team, and I've loved seeing it become a stepping stone for PNG players to go to England or Australia, but an NRL club? I don't see it happening anytime soon... Certainly not before places like Perth! The NRL doesn't need more clubs necessarily, it needs strategic expansion to create a larger footprint and build TV value... So Perth, maybe Adelaide, possibly Wellington,  or if they want a game in Brisbane every week, a second club there... Not sure a PNG club in the top flight would add much commercial value? Having the Hunters in the second tier is perfect I reckon.

But anyway, great news about the Fiji thing. This continues some great work the NRL - in collaboration with the government - is doing to grow rugby league in the region. 

Edited by ghost crayfish
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I don't know why we pretend a third world nation couldn't support an RL side yet somewhere like Castleford could.

PNG may be a poor country but it's poor an a massively larger scale than places which do support RL sides. There's a huge amount more money in PNG than say Cumbria, or east York's yet nobody would argue they were too poor to support an RL side. 

This is an RL side we are talking about. Not a mission to the moon. At most the amount an NRL side would cost PNG would be within the margin of error of their GDP. It's probably within the margin of error of some mining companies financial accounts. We are talking about amounts that aren't even noticed at a national scale. 

The NRL operates on a completely different level to the game in the UK and I think analogies between PNG and Cumbria or East Yorkshire are pretty pointless. This is especially so when the fundamental problems and challenged that exist in PNG simply do not exist in the UK.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Damien said:

The NRL operates on a completely different level to the game in the UK and I think analogies between PNG and Cumbria or East Yorkshire are pretty pointless. This is especially so when the fundamental problems and challenged that exist in PNG simply do not exist in the UK.

No it doesn't. 

The Broncos turnover about £28m Leeds about £11m even without the massive NRL tv grant Leeds wouldn't be massively out of place on the NRL. 

And both of those figures are negligible to a country, even one like PNG. And both of those figures are turnover. Not losses. 

• Confused 4

Bring on the Fijian NSW Cup team!

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

No it doesn't. 

The Broncos turnover about £28m Leeds about £11m even without the massive NRL tv grant Leeds wouldn't be massively out of place on the NRL. 

And both of those figures are negligible to a country, even one like PNG. And both of those figures are turnover. Not losses. 

They would come dead last though based on last years results

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Allora said:

They would come dead last though based on last years results

Exactly. And in one foul swoop the analogy has been shifted from comparing PNG to Cumbria and East Yorkshire to now the biggest club in the UK in terms of turnover. If comparing PNG to Cumbria wasn't far fetched enough comparing it to Leeds, the largest centre outside London for financial and business services, certainly is.

9 minutes ago, Damien said:

Exactly. And in one foul swoop the analogy has been shifted from comparing PNG to Cumbria and East Yorkshire to now the biggest club in the UK in terms of turnover. If comparing PNG to Cumbria wasn't far fetched enough comparing it to Leeds, the largest centre outside London for financial and business services, certainly is.

*Fell swoop

And we didn't compare Leeds to PNG. We compared Leeds to Brisbane. On a different point.

You have confused yourself and conflated two different things. 

1 People arguing Cumbria and East Yorkshire could sustain and SL side even though their GDP is vastly vastly lower than that of PNG and 

2 your idea that the NRL was financially on a totally different level to SL Which it isn't as evidenced by the comparison between Leeds and Brisbane. 

• Confused 1

Just now, scotchy1 said:

*Fell swoop

And we didn't compare Leeds to PNG. We compared Leeds to Brisbane. On a different point.

You have confused yourself and conflated two different things. 

1 People arguing Cumbria and East Yorkshire could sustain and SL side even though their GDP is vastly vastly lower than that of PNG and 

2 your idea that the NRL was financially on a totally different level to SL Which it isn't as evidenced by the comparison between Leeds and Brisbane. 

Brisbane has three times the turnover of Leeds based on your figures.

"The Broncos turnover about £28m Leeds about £11m "

• Like 1