Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
andyram

Shot Clock

Just wondering what plans the club have in place about the new Shot Clock ruling for the new season. Will we have a 30 seconds run down on the scoreboard, the counting down on the p.a system. My personal favourite of the Countdown T.V  song been used or just the hooter going off when time's up ?

Be no good using the PA system at York, would take a couple of minutes. Listening to announcements is like listening to Norman Collier. Not the announcers fault, just a system that doesn't work properly.

The shot clock and golden point are purely SL initiatives so won't apply in the Championship. What next season might bring is another matter, however.

A side issue for we minnows to be concerned about is the proposal for SL to move to two referees next season. No doubt this will mean the star refs from our leagues will be "promoted" leaving us with the rest. Given that there are already severe referee recruitment difficulties already in RL I do wonder where the new blood will come from. Maybe it will become an extra prize in the HT draw?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

13 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

The shot clock and golden point are purely SL initiatives so won't apply in the Championship. What next season might bring is another matter, however.

A side issue for we minnows to be concerned about is the proposal for SL to move to two referees next season. No doubt this will mean the star refs from our leagues will be "promoted" leaving us with the rest. Given that there are already severe referee recruitment difficulties already in RL I do wonder where the new blood will come from. Maybe it will become an extra prize in the HT draw?

Aren't there any washed up,  has been Aussie refs the RL could bring over especially for SL - I mean it works OK with players.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

On 1/20/2019 at 1:54 PM, Crown Flatter said:

I think it is only being used in Super League. 

20 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Would appear the 'Shot Clock' applies to The Championship also:

Full details of the new rules for 2019, as they apply in the Betfred Championship as well as the Betfred Super League (with the exception of Golden Point extra-time), are explained here https://www.rugby-league.com/superleague/new_beginnings

I noticed it was being tried at the Mount yesterday, the ref indicated to stop it nearly every time very much trial and error.

There was no physical clock on show apart from the one on the scoreboard and that stopped nearly everytime.

The only thing about it is what happens if the kicker runs out of time?

22 minutes ago, RogerT said:

I noticed it was being tried at the Mount yesterday, the ref indicated to stop it nearly every time very much trial and error.

There was no physical clock on show apart from the one on the scoreboard and that stopped nearly everytime.

The only thing about it is what happens if the kicker runs out of time?

Same as always, the 'game time' is stopped.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RogerT said:

Ta

One thing to add is that repeat/serial offences/offenders of running down the stop clock when taking a kick will be referred to the Compliance Panel who may impose a sanction. Although what that sanction may be is anyone's guess, but it will not affect the (outcome of the) game it occurs in.

15 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

One thing to add is that repeat/serial offences/offenders of running down the stop clock when taking a kick will be referred to the Compliance Panel who may impose a sanction. Although what that sanction may be is anyone's guess, but it will not affect the (outcome of the) game it occurs in.

Good job Colin "gerron wi it" Tyrer isn't still playing :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

On 1/21/2019 at 10:57 AM, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Would appear the 'Shot Clock' applies to The Championship also:

Full details of the new rules for 2019, as they apply in the Betfred Championship as well as the Betfred Super League (with the exception of Golden Point extra-time), are explained here https://www.rugby-league.com/superleague/new_beginnings

Yes, a quiet reverse-ferret by the RFL on this after saying that it wouldn't be applied. Reference is made to consulting with SL coaches but none to Championship coaches. It also puts an extra burden on overworked timekeepers when really the referees should just sort out the time wasters.

I did read a reference elsewhere that any player going down injured when a dropout is due to be taken would be removed from the field until the next stoppage or an interchange.

There is also a requirement for a separate stop clock buzzer. Looks like we will be in for further major investment.

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

10 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Yes, a quiet reverse-ferret by the RFL on this after saying that it wouldn't be applied. Reference is made to consulting with SL coaches but none to Championship coaches. It also puts an extra burden on overworked timekeepers when really the referees should just sort out the time wasters.

I did read a reference elsewhere that any player going down injured when a dropout is due to be taken would be removed from the field until the next stoppage or an interchange.

There is also a requirement for a separate stop clock buzzer. Looks like we will be in for further major investment.

Looking at the implications for the part time sides, with regard to the higher intensity, the greater fitness of the full time sides will become even more apparent. Although we all wish to stop the time wasters and those involved in gamesmanship, I can't help but think the changes will cause the gulf between the haves and have nots to widen to the extent they will become two separate divisions. What price the introduction of a second tier to SL for 2020

George Bernard Shaw.

5 hours ago, grumpyoldram said:

Looking at the implications for the part time sides, with regard to the higher intensity, the greater fitness of the full time sides will become even more apparent. Although we all wish to stop the time wasters and those involved in gamesmanship, I can't help but think the changes will cause the gulf between the haves and have nots to widen to the extent they will become two separate divisions. What price the introduction of a second tier to SL for 2020

I notice they haven't introduced anything in regard to players of certain clubs feigning a head injury whilst defending to ensure the game is stopped. Therefore, I'm not convinced that the rules brought in to speed the game up, will really have much impact, as the teams looking to slow the game due to a lack of fitness, will just have even more players laying down holding there head every time they are under any sort of pressure. 

It might not be too late to get one of the local bed factories to sponsor you for the opening game.

Gamesmanship is becoming a problem in all sport!

• Like 1

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: