BREAKING: Sky to broadcast Championship play-offs and Toronto Wolfpack fixtures

The RFL have announced today, at the ongoing Championship and League 1 launch, that Sky Sports will cover the Championship play-offs, as well as Toronto Wolfpack’s home and away matches ahead the new campaign, in addition OuRLeague app will also be screening Championship and League 1 Women’s fixtures, which will be one per week. The Sky deal with Toronto, which was…

The post BREAKING: Sky to broadcast Championship play-offs and Toronto Wolfpack fixtures appeared first on Total Rugby League.

View the full article

Total Rugby League
www.totalrl.com

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.totalrl.com/breaking-sky-to-broadcast-championship-play-offs-and-toronto-wolfpack-fixtures/

The RFL have announced today, at the ongoing Championship and League 1 launch, that Sky Sports will cover the Championship play-offs, as well as Toronto Wolfpack’s home and away matches ahead of the new campaign. In addition OuRLeague app will also be screening Championship and League 1 Women’s fixtures, which will be one per week.

The Sky deal with Toronto, which was reached after discussions between the RFL and Sky during 2018, will also include distribution to Canada and around the world, as Rugby League seeks to expand its global footprint, with the full details of the contract set to be confirmed in the coming weeks.

“We have invested significantly in our broadcast for the last two seasons, culminating in our 2018 postseason games reaching 140 million homes in 19 countries worldwide.,” said Brian Noble MBE, Toronto Wolfpack Director of Rugby. “We are extremely grateful to both Sky Sports and the RFL for sharing our vision to grow our game globally in 2019, and thank both for their efforts building this opportunity.”

In addition to live coverage of the Wolfpack’s fixtures both home and away, Sky will also be showing games from the Betfred Championship play-offs, namely the newly reinstated Championship play-off final, which which still retain the name ‘Million Pound Game’ but will now feature the top two sides from the Championship as opposed any Super League sides like in previous editions, as part of the competition restructure.

“We saw with the reaction to Sky’s live coverage of the £1M Game between the Wolfpack and London Broncos in Toronto last autumn what a massive boost that was to the profile of the Betfred Championship,” added Mark Foster, who heads the RFL’s commercial department..

“This couldn’t have happened without the co-operation and support of Sky Sports and Toronto Wolfpack and we wish to thank both organisations for helping us to broadcast in the UK and around the world what will be a fantastic Championship as well as League One in 2019.”

In addition, at least one fixture per week will be shown through the RFL’s OuRLeague app in 2019, which will include the Betfred Championship, League One, Coral Challenge Cup, Coral Women’s Challenge Cup, 1895 Cup and Women’s Super League.

rldfsignature.jpg

3 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Every team on twice a year isn't bad. Plus the live stream on the app is decent. 

It is better than what we had before, so three cheers for progress.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Slim pickings . They hold all the rights , there’s lots of live in the championship beyond Toronto . Is looking really fascinating , show the tie of the round every week on telly and share the exposure . The app showing league one games was great to 

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

This is good news and could mean as well as the Wolfpack we get another live Championship game via OurLeague online.

The way it reads TWP will be on Sky while the OL app will carry another game so there will be times when two Championship games are broadcast on the same weekend.

rldfsignature.jpg

Just now, deluded pom? said:

The way it reads TWP will be on Sky while the OL app will carry another game so there will be times when two Championship games are broadcast on the same weekend.

Yes, that’s my interpretation of it too.

Hope it works out that way as it’ll be much easier to follow what’s happening in the Championship for those of us who can’t commit to a season ticket.

2 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Premier taking these off Sky I could get , but surely sky themselves can show whatever games they want ?

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

They could televise any championship game covering any team if they chose weekly ?

Probably.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Private Baldrick said:

For us dinosaurs, what is this Our League app and how and where can you get it/watch it from?

You need to download the app to your mobile phone or tablet and then when a match is on you can cast it to your main TV, providing the TV is capable of course.

rldfsignature.jpg

3 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

For us dinosaurs, what is this Our League app and how and where can you get it/watch it from?

OurLeague is part of the RFL's website. Membership is required to watch live streams, but it is free.  Depending on what device you use to stream video, you may not need the app at all. I don't; I just stream straight from the website to my TV screen.

https://membership.rugby-league.com/

Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

They could televise any championship game covering any team if they chose weekly ?

True but who knows how and why Sky only chose to televise TWP? At least there will be a continuation of TWP's games being televised and the OL app means there's going to be quite a few weeks where two Championship games are available.

rldfsignature.jpg

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

OurLeague is part of the RFL's website. Membership is required to watch live streams, but it is free.  Depending on what device you use to stream video, you may not need the app at all. I don't; I just stream straight from the website to my TV screen.

https://membership.rugby-league.com/

Cheers for that! I don't have a tablet or mobile phone, only a laptop, so can I watch it on that and / or hook it up to the TV? 

Two pieces of good news in as many days. How unlike rugby league!

2 Championship or League 1 games per week in addition to the Super League games is great.

The magazine show and live streaming is exactly what OurLeague should be used for.

The only way it could have been better is if Sky showed a greater variety of teams in place of Toronto away games. I assume this mustn't be possible due to cost.

Nevertheless, a big step forward. Let's keep the good news coming ahead of the new season!

14 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

True but who knows how and why Sky only chose to televise TWP? At least there will be a continuation of TWP's games being televised and the OL app means there's going to be quite a few weeks where two Championship games are available.

Possibly makes sense to Sky as someone else will be filming Toronto’s home games so minimal costs to them. Just guessing here but maybe the Canadian broadcaster is prepared to cover the costs of Sky filming Toronto’s away games. 

There’s obviously a big push to promote and beef up the ourleague app . The league one games were well done and obviously successful . Now n again my pic froze and I had to refresh but it’ll be interesting how they get on and the numbers they get . Maybe a sign of the times in the future . The NRL app has really taken off 

Archived