Reverend Ram

Reminiscing

Recommended Posts

Sat in a warm kitchen with the snow outside I find myself nodding off and remembering being a callow 18 year old on the rugby pitch at Savile Town turning out for a pre season game for Banks’ vs Shaws in what I think was the Mermaid Cup - sponsored by the chip oil in the town centre perhaps? Banks’ were a Ravensthorpe team based at the Ravensthorpe pub on Huddersfield Road but I am not sure about Shaws - was it associated with the old Cov Climax factory on Bradford Road in Batley?  I also seem to recall a Dewsbury Albion at some time, but no idea where they played? There was a team at Staincliffe I think, where Batley Boys now play. What other teams have we lost in the HW area?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ravensthorpe Allblacks/All Blacks,

Overthorpe Rangers , 

Gate Inn (from which was born Thornhill Trojans I believe),

Shaw Cross Boys’ Club had six teams I think: Bees, Hornets, Wasps, Rangers, Rovers and.....?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

albion ran out of my local way back then and we had some great away days,they played on crawshaw st pitch or up main park nr spen estate park. ran by sammy morton and they had some massive wins home and away to the likes a milford and queens. some great players too with the likes a donlan.welchy.gripper.cowheal.horse.stavross.dibby.cass.charlie.broxy.both masseys.bretton,crossley. some great times had for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunday morning 11 a side workshop league,

Shaws, Banks, George(Dewsbury), Eastborough WMC, Hanging Heaton WMC, Dawsons, Moores Bakery, Wormald and Walkers, Burnleys, Bus Company not sure whether Yorkshire Transformers did, Perseverance Inn, I'm sure there were others but they don't come to mind.

PS, SPL who went onto become Batley Victoria, then Birstall Victoria.

Edited by RogerT
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 1:51 PM, silverback said:

albion ran out of my local way back then and we had some great away days,they played on crawshaw st pitch or up main park nr spen estate park. ran by sammy morton and they had some massive wins home and away to the likes a milford and queens. some great players too with the likes a donlan.welchy.gripper.cowheal.horse.stavross.dibby.cass.charlie.broxy.both masseys.bretton,crossley. some great times had for sure.

Don't forget about Razor, waz, Scagga, Boothy,  Shawy, Leado, Snelly and a few more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lupset Ram said:

Don't forget about Razor, waz, Scagga, Boothy,  Shawy, Leado, Snelly and a few more. 

and dave kennys lad who helped with coaching and training, young blonde lad too who lived down crawshaw street,only weighed about 6 stone but he were a top lad. ??ramsden. pete had to buy his mrs a new frock start of every season..:whistle: big shane too who lived over road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in the early eighties I used to enjoy going down to Saviletown (wouldn't be seen dead there these days) and watching both the Darryl Woollin and Mermaid Trophy matches. Loads of local teams in those days playing in the warm summer evenings. Local cup finals and representative games were held there too. Happy days indeed. Where did it all go?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Lupset Ram said:

Back in the early eighties I used to enjoy going down to Saviletown (wouldn't be seen dead there these days) and watching both the Darryl Woollin and Mermaid Trophy matches. Loads of local teams in those days playing in the warm summer evenings. Local cup finals and representative games were held there too. Happy days indeed. Where did it all go?

i think after months of spending hours before games digging glass bottles out the pitch folks got fed up, me and mark tingle got a full bucket one day all broken tops off bottle hidden under the grass, seen some horrific cuts on game days with just bits missed, shame as we had some great games and good crowds thats for sure.moor v thornhill were belters.:bb:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2019 at 10:04 AM, Lupset Ram said:

Back in the early eighties I used to enjoy going down to Saviletown (wouldn't be seen dead there these days) and watching both the Darryl Woollin and Mermaid Trophy matches. Loads of local teams in those days playing in the warm summer evenings. Local cup finals and representative games were held there too. Happy days indeed. Where did it all go?

Ask the same question in Leeds, Hull, Castleford.........

The amateur game is in a bad way, just like many other sports. For whatever reason there is much less commitment shown by players nowadays.

Edited by Blind side johnny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t disagree with you BSJ but it is interesting to look back - it is 40 years since I was running around ST but go back another 40 years and everyone was preparing for war - roll back another 40 years and Northern Union was only five years old....roll on 40 years and who knows what may be - if it is amalgamated rugby then I hopefully will be spared seeing it, but then again there may be a sports renaissance on the back of England winning the centenary RL World Cup in 2054.....maybe I will merely stick to happy memories like Margaret Watson in t’Reporter though I suspect there will be at least one more success for the Rams before I (hopefully) go upstairs!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Reverend Ram said:

I don’t disagree with you BSJ but it is interesting to look back - it is 40 years since I was running around ST but go back another 40 years and everyone was preparing for war - roll back another 40 years and Northern Union was only five years old....roll on 40 years and who knows what may be - if it is amalgamated rugby then I hopefully will be spared seeing it, but then again there may be a sports renaissance on the back of England winning the centenary RL World Cup in 2054.....maybe I will merely stick to happy memories like Margaret Watson in t’Reporter though I suspect there will be at least one more success for the Rams before I (hopefully) go upstairs!

Agreed RR, my greatest achievements, sporting and otherwise, exist in my memory, or possibly my imagination. They do say that you remember being a yard quicker for every five years that you age.

I also feel sorry for any youngsters nowadays who are missing out on the pleasure of team sports in all weathers - I know that I had some great times, albeit at a mediocre standard. Mind you, my knees do give me a bit of gyp now and then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2019 at 6:42 PM, Blind side johnny said:

Ask the same question in Leeds, Hull, Castleford.........

The amateur game is in a bad way, just like many other sports. For whatever reason there is much less commitment shown by players nowadays.

Coming from Wakefield I don't recall most of those teams but I find it sad, its funny how the world gets bigger whislt at the same time it gets smaller.

To answer your question, in Wakefield the game is still fairly strong at amateur level relative to most other areas. However the number of clubs and thus the choice and oppertunities for youngsters and adults who just want to play for fun has lessened considerably.

By this I mean the clubs that are left are what I'd call Super Clubs especially where youngsters are concerned and by definition they are relatively elitist in that they only really cater for the better players. Clubs like Stanley Rangers, Grigglestone all Blacks, Normanton, Eastmoor and Sharlston to name a few have or are developing facilities and set ups way beyond what most of the old pub/park teams could manage. Lock Lane which I know strictly speaking is Cas has a club house with facilities beyond many pro clubs.

This repeats itself almost everywhere. These clubs are great but they offer little for the more casual players or those who are late developers etc etc. Not that it really matters I suppose because most SL clubs rarely scout beyond the U15's these days, after that they just seem to just poach off each other. They certainly never look at players in what's left of the open age competition and I can't help but think that we are missing the odd gem of a player who got missed on the first trawl.

What I believe for certain is that it was these pub/park teams and for that matter Championship and NL1 clubs who used to provide the coach trips to the CCup and Internationals that used toswell the numbers and make them far more viable than now, especially the CCup. Amateur players no longer feel connected to the pro-game as they once did especially SL many of whose players were segregated from the rank and file at an early age. These lads are now pro players, they don't share jobs and some don't even share communities anymore, it's like they play a different sport.

Oddly it seems to work in Football but in RL it doesn't, perhaps its just to small a game and a bit insular, I don't know.

SL and the RFLbetween them have managed to alienate a whole section of the game, they always did to a degree but in the last twenty years it's become endemic and has totally undermined the culture of the game, I find it very sad, others don't.

I'll always be a Trinity fan but I've long since stopped being a fan of the game.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very well put sir.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Coming from Wakefield I don't recall most of those teams but I find it sad, its funny how the world gets bigger whislt at the same time it gets smaller.

To answer your question, in Wakefield the game is still fairly strong at amateur level relative to most other areas. However the number of clubs and thus the choice and oppertunities for youngsters and adults who just want to play for fun has lessened considerably.

By this I mean the clubs that are left are what I'd call Super Clubs especially where youngsters are concerned and by definition they are relatively elitist in that they only really cater for the better players. Clubs like Stanley Rangers, Grigglestone all Blacks, Normanton, Eastmoor and Sharlston to name a few have or are developing facilities and set ups way beyond what most of the old pub/park teams could manage. Lock Lane which I know strictly speaking is Cas has a club house with facilities beyond many pro clubs.

This repeats itself almost everywhere. These clubs are great but they offer little for the more casual players or those who are late developers etc etc. Not that it really matters I suppose because most SL clubs rarely scout beyond the U15's these days, after that they just seem to just poach off each other. They certainly never look at players in what's left of the open age competition and I can't help but think that we are missing the odd gem of a player who got missed on the first trawl.

What I believe for certain is that it was these pub/park teams and for that matter Championship and NL1 clubs who used to provide the coach trips to the CCup and Internationals that used toswell the numbers and make them far more viable than now, especially the CCup. Amateur players no longer feel connected to the pro-game as they once did especially SL many of whose players were segregated from the rank and file at an early age. These lads are now pro players, they don't share jobs and some don't even share communities anymore, it's like they play a different sport.

Oddly it seems to work in Football but in RL it doesn't, perhaps its just to small a game and a bit insular, I don't know.

SL and the RFLbetween them have managed to alienate a whole section of the game, they always did to a degree but in the last twenty years it's become endemic and has totally undermined the culture of the game, I find it very sad, others don't.

I'll always be a Trinity fan but I've long since stopped being a fan of the game.

 

My outstanding memory of the pub leagues was " the sponge bucket" .  Concussion ? torn hamstring ? Cold sponge down the back of the neck. Broken leg ? cold sponge. It's bloodied contents also served as a half time thirst quencher at clubs who couldn't afford half an orange, and a communal shower before going back to the pub  for the pie and peas.  Happy days.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday




Rugby League World - Get It Online

Rugby League World - Issue 455 - Out Now