Featherstone v Batley match thread

Batley Bob

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 7:37 PM, Blind side johnny said:

Seriously do your fans really believe that your attendances are as they are simply because of your local population? It really is a lazy excuse for a simple decline in interest.

out of the 5 to 10 thousand that live around Mount Pleasant...….I'm sure we could attract a few supporters as we did in the past....if the houses were not habited by free cricket watching Muslim's

edited for Dog Forever.....

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" ....Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865..

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Super thread.

So we've gone from are hopeful result at Fev to getting pumped, to Featherstone rhinos to why the locals didn't buy into ex salford saquib murtaza.

The win is in the post sit tight 

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

13 minutes ago, RPH said:

out of the 5 to 10 thousand that live around Mount Pleasant...….I'm sure we could attract a few like we did in the past....

The problem being is as we all know mount pleasant is a predominantly Muslim area. After all these years I think if we were going to get extra bodies through the turnstiles I think it would have happened by now. Asians prefer cricket, which I find to be one of the most boring sports in the world. So if someone was trying to coax me into going to watch cricket every other week it would be a big fat NO.

I've no idea what the secret is, but the image of RL and RU is so very different, RL's roots are still very much bedded as a working class game. RU definitely isn;t, maybe it is the public school system?

Football was always seen as a working class game when I was growing up, but somehow that all seemed to change over the years, maybe it is the pricing structure? They priced themselves out of being a working man's sport and the game became a sort of status symbol. A sort of "Look at me, I'm doing well for myself, I'm happy to pay £30+ to watch Leeds Utd". Where as many RL supporters, from working class backgrounds would kick up a stink about it or stop going.

Many people seem to have ideas above their station (lol), but it is a bit the same with RU. Everyone I know who has or is attending a RU international, has a tendency to shout it from the rooftops and plaster it all over social media, I don't believe anyone in those people's lives do not know they are going to see England v Wales at Twickers etc.

Where as the RL supporter is much more low key about going to LSV to watch England play PNG etc. 

I'd bet a good proportion of the people attending twickers have no real interest in the game, or really understand the rules, but it is seen as an event, so that doesn't really matter, the game is only a small part of the event.

OR -

Maybe that's the thing, RL is a game, we see it as the be all, and end all, maybe the game has not done enough to make it an event over the years? 

Your guess is as good as mine.

19 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Well our gates went up. 

Seriously do your fans really believe that your attendances are as they are simply because of your local population? It really is a lazy excuse for a simple decline in interest.

Thanks for answering the question BSJ. 

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

Archived