Round 1 — Workington Town

Dave Naylor

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Upbeat Scott and his squad all ready to go

AS the countdown begins to the big kick-off against Workington Town at the Vestacare Stadium on Sunday, February 17, head coach Scott Naylor is upbeat about the size and quality of his squad; about team performances in pre-season; and about the bookies’ verdict that Oldham are favourites to win Betfred League 1.

Read full article

Looking forward to what should be a cracking first league game of the season, between 2 strong sides. Both have recruited well and  will be testing each other out, going into the game believing they will come out on top, setting a marker for the season.

Home advantage and good support will be crucial, so with the weather forecast looking good, there's every reason to go along on Sunday and give Scott and the lads the support they deserve - one not to be missed, for sure.

COME ON OLDHAM?   

1 hour ago, m brooksy said:

Surprised we haven't officially announced the squad numbers yet for the coming season.

If you look hard you'll find them.  One of the issues has been waiting for the arrival of the playing kit.  I wanted to run a drip-fed social media release with the players wearing their new kit bearing 2019 sponsors and correct squad numbers.

All that doesn't come together until Saturday morning when I'm doing all the players' headshots and Murgy is doing the group and team shots.

After that it's a dash home and some post-processing before a release on social media, probably on the morning of the game in all honesty.

3 hours ago, Fluffybed said:

Some of you may have seen yesterdays score in League one Newcastle 26 Doncaster 32, but did anyone else notice that Doncaster had a certain Danny Langtree in their line up?

Think he was 26 for Donny. Sure he made all the difference when he came on. 

Fuming. A good close game as expected. I am now desperate to see the video to see if the disallowed try at the end was offside or not. Two other turning points for me. When in front late in the game by 2, why try and offload on the half way line. The other was why was the Town player not sin binned after delaying the play the ball when our right centre was tackled 10 yards out?

Can't calm down, but my conclusion is to evenly match sides, and Town won.

What a frustrating game. 28-20 up then Hawkyard drops the ball with no one contesting him and then Scott law tries to offload the ball for no reason. When are we going to see a close game out. The referee was a joke and also laughing when walking down the tunnel. It just seems to be never our luck if it was the other way we all know it would of been given. Need to dust ourselves down work on defence but I think we showed good signs apart from stupid and defensive errors 

We can't give teams a 12 pts start, I have no idea what Hawkyard was doing in the first half when he dropped the ball, but certainly made up for that with his try, the offload was a complete brain freeze. That's a coach killer. 

There was signs of a great team but they need to see the games out!!!!! 

Finally the referee was poor for both teams but penalties against us at important times killed us. 

40 minutes ago, YoungYed said:

What a frustrating game. 28-20 up then Hawkyard drops the ball with no one contesting him and then Scott law tries to offload the ball for no reason. When are we going to see a close game out. The referee was a joke and also laughing when walking down the tunnel. It just seems to be never our luck if it was the other way we all know it would of been given. Need to dust ourselves down work on defence but I think we showed good signs apart from stupid and defensive errors 

We brought in experienced players to try to see out games and that failed today. 

Saw nothing wrong in the Bowman try at the end - thought we had scored an awesome try to win after the hooter.

Clear mistake by Touch Judge for Workys opening try. Two sets of lines clearly fooled TJ as try scorers feet were at least a foot over the rugby dead ball line. Think the lines need to be better colour difference. 

Decent performance though, just can't give good teams 12 points start primarily due to giving away field position due to poor discipline.

Only first game onwards and upwards.

COME ON OLDHAM!!!! COME ON OLDHAM!!!!!

Archived