Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

15-17 Feb: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

Just now, paulwalker71 said:

That's what comes of having a decent coach

If they'd taken the plunge when Leeds got rid of McDermott, and got him in at that point, then I suspect they'd now be in Super League

That’ll prove to be a huge difference this year . He’ll get the job done , comfortably you’d think 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

I often wonder if refs need to put incidents on report . You’d think every game will be gone through and anything pertinent taken from it in review 

Full games aren't reviewed below SL level. Only incidents brought to the attention of the match review panel (cards, on reports, referrals by clubs etc) are investigated.

You see Kayak Man what a difference having a good coach as opposed to a ********* like like Rowley makes to a team, those of us with longer experience of the game sometimes, rarely I admit, do know what we are talking about, it's a pity that Noble was trying to save face with Rowley's appointment and didn't ditch him sooner as like someone said you would be in SL now. Of course it might well be that McDermott wanted some time out of the game after his experiences with the Rhinos, so I would just be grateful for Rowley's dimise & McDermott's availability if I was you and enjoy the ride?

• Like 1

Toronto certainly looked more the sum of their parts today. Didn't look like conceding when the game was a contest. Ground down Vikings up front in a tight first half. Then put the foot on their throat when they got on top. Scored some good looking tries too. Will be difficult to beat on that showing.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

You see Kayak Man what a difference having a good coach as opposed to a ********* like like Rowley makes to a team, those of us with longer experience of the game sometimes, rarely I admit, do know what we are talking about, it's a pity that Noble was trying to save face with Rowley's appointment and didn't ditch him sooner as like someone said you would be in SL now. Of course it might well be that McDermott wanted some time out of the game after his experiences with the Rhinos, so I would just be grateful for Rowley's dimise & McDermott's availability if I was you and enjoy the ride?

Here is another POV, perhaps Toronto signed better players this year:

Gadwin Springer

Joe Mellor

Jon Wilkin

Ricky Leutele

Tom Olbison

Bodene Thompson

And now Anthony Mullaly.

Unlike last season, Toronto have a legit Super League calibre team.  It has little to do with the coach. 

Edited by CanadianRugger

7 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

Gadwin Springer

Joe Mellor

Jon Wilkin

Ricky Leutele

Tom Olbison

Bodene Thompson

And now Anthony Mullaly.

Unlike last season, Toronto have a legit Super League calibre team.  It has little to do with the coach. 

That has plenty to do with the coach; he got the club to sign them.

Toronto have certainly got Superleague-quality players. Our regime  talks about a top-five finish but have got a squad which, realistically, is capable of keeping us in this Division, but not of getting us out of it.

I'd have preferred it if we'd signed fewer, but better, players.

• Like 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

14 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

Gadwin Springer

Joe Mellor

Jon Wilkin

Ricky Leutele

Tom Olbison

Bodene Thompson

And now Anthony Mullaly.

And how many of them played under Rowley at Leigh?  As Woolford6 said the coach has a major say in who's on the playing roster and who will fit into his systems.

• Like 2

Thought Toronto played well and their defence kept Widnes at bay most of the game. Disappointing that we will not see Widnes in Toronto this season, they look like a young team with a good future.

It is a long way to go and there will be downs for The Pack. However if they keep improving I really would like to see what they could do against Super League opponents. However with no 8's this season and no Challenge Cup that isn't going to happen for at least a season if not longer.

10 hours ago, CanadianRugger said:

Gadwin Springer

Joe Mellor

Jon Wilkin

Ricky Leutele

Tom Olbison

Bodene Thompson

And now Anthony Mullaly.

That's a real mixed bag though - Leutele won the NRL with Cronulla in 2016 and would be a top player at any SL club. Mellor & Olbison were in the Widnes squad that finished bottom of SL two years running. Mullaly spent several years in the championship with his hometown Widnes and is now at his 11th club.

I think the good thing for Toronto is they have some depth in the squad too - decent cover in all positions.

• Like 1

Very impressed with Toronto,excellent style of rugby.

Some good things happening with York,London,Newcastle,Sheffield etc.

Could just do with Cas,Wakefield and Bradford sorting out their grounds.

Four DRs for Hornets  yesterday and their quality and full-time fitness was pretty obvious. Rochdale played well but ran out of steam and ironically lost momentum when Carl Forster brought himself on as sub on about the half hour. This coincided with Tyla Hepi coming on for TO13 and his positive attitude not for the first time changed the game. Sitaleki Akauola  looked good and young Declan Gregory looked lively when he came on as sub. Great to see the Kilshaw tactics a thing of the past to be replaced with quick movement and PMA.

Entertaining game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Leigh v Fev squads look more like St Helens Reserves v Leeds Reserves

I'm not familiar with Leigh's squad, however Fev have 3 Leeds DR this week, which indicates 16 non Leeds in their squad. If Leeds were to run a reserve team, I'd hope they'd have more than 3 of their own players in it... 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

15 hours ago, Clogiron said:

I think you are way off the mark there...times have changed...what  you have to remember is that Paul Rowley is really well thought of over here in Toronto...we thank him for his service...but now it is the time of McDermott.  No one over here bears a grudge against Paul Rowley.

Time moves on.

Edited by Kayakman
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, cookey said:

Very impressed with Toronto,excellent style of rugby.

Some good things happening with York,London,Newcastle,Sheffield etc.

Could just do with Cas,Wakefield and Bradford sorting out their grounds.

Ha ha  do you actually think this will ever happen? 

19 hours ago, chuffer said:

Not once have looked in any danger of scoring

I honestly think Widnes will improve on that.  TWPs defence has improved and so has their patience, so a new look Widnes were always going to struggle.

16 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

That has plenty to do with the coach; he got the club to sign them.

Toronto have certainly got Superleague-quality players. Our regime  talks about a top-five finish but have got a squad which, realistically, is capable of keeping us in this Division, but not of getting us out of it.

I'd have preferred it if we'd signed fewer, but better, players.

He didn't Wilkin signed before the coach was appointed, noble will be signing players in his role, Toronto have built a SL squad because they believed they would be in SL this year. Toronto are a a SL club but in a lower division. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, yipyee said:

He didn't Wilkin signed before the coach was appointed, noble will be signing players in his role, Toronto have built a SL squad because they believed they would be in SL this year. Toronto are a a SL club but in a lower division. 

As indeed did Leutele and Springer.