Sign in to follow this  
The Future is League

Josh Hodgson

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/canberra-raiders-star-josh-hodgson-looking-forward-to-big-nrl-season-after-2018-frustrations/news-story/5c873f3e0d40cff7559e17699f97ecc1

I like the Raiders and enjoy watching them but I fear for their chances this year. 

They have not really had the game management to win the close one's and they have over reliant on a quality forward pack.  They still have good back row options but their front row looks light. 

They have some strike power out wide but Rapana is injured for some time but it is their halves that are the big problem.  I hope I am wrong but I can only see the bottom half of the table for them this year.

• Like 1

They’ll miss Austin more than they think . They may regret that one 

• Like 1

They will miss Austin. I think they will play jack wighton in the half’s and move cotric to full back. Sam Williams isn’t good enough imo. They will be a lot more mobile this year. I hope Bateman goes well. 

• Like 1

I agree with all of the comments above, especially with the observation of Canberra's weakness in the halves. I do not understand why they let Blake Austin go, unless he was asking too much money for their salary cap.

The Canberra halves situation clearly illustrates the fact that rugby league has not produced enough quality halves in either hemisphere.

20 year old Lachlan Lam is the next emerging half back talent, who could fill the gap at the Canberra Raiders, but I suspect that the Sydney Roosters may decide to keep him to replace Cooper Cronk.

Edited by Manfred Mann

Austin couldn't or wouldn't tackle, and as such he was a huge liability unless he was making up the difference in points, but he hasn't been preforming in attack since 2016 either. The majority of points that the team have let in in last few years have been down his side of the field and more often than not cause of his poor decisions in defence. 

Almost all of our front row was overweight and/or under preforming for the last few years, Boyd and Paulo were also very expensive and nowhere near living up to the price tag which made them huge liabilities (I'm still gonna miss Boydy though). 

But yeah unless we manage to sign a quality half and/or our spine really steps up to the plate we're probably not going to do anything much this year.

We'll almost certainly finish somewhere around 10th-8th unless the team plays out of their skins and/or things go our way, but things rarely go our way cause we aren't one of the haves in the competition.

Also somebody said there's a lack of capable halves in the comp, there isn't, the real problem is that somehow some teams (the usual suspects) can afford to hire two top tier halves and a bunch of capable back up halves and still have enough room in their cap to fill out the spine with top notch players, sign a SOO quality forward pack, and a strong back line, and others can't even afford a single top tier half backed up by a team full of reserve graders without going over the cap... But you know there's nothing dodgy about that at all.

• Haha 1