Sign in to follow this  
RigbyLuger

Is this the image Elstone wants for the sport?

What does that have to do with Super League? It’s a completely separate production not linked to the games’ organisations in the slightest. 

Wayne Godwin is as funny as a trip to the dentist. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

https://twitter.com/steWild13/status/1097589270355869701

It's the one he's helping to promote, despite what he says to the papers.

ex pro player has drink with ex pro player and puts it on twitter on his own feed.. 

how is Elstone helping to promote that?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

What does that have to do with Super League? It’s a completely separate production not linked to the games’ organisations in the slightest. 

Simmons is used by the RFL on the OuRLeague app, and Elstone went on their show a couple of weeks ago. The RFL were obviously sponsoring the show last year, so endorse the antics on show.

3 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Simmons is used by the RFL on the OuRLeague app, and Elstone went on their show a couple of weeks ago. The RFL were obviously sponsoring the show last year, so endorse the antics on show.

Elstone = Super League. They’re his employer.

The RFL is a separate body and not under Elstone’s control. 

Hope that helps. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Simmons is used by the RFL on the OuRLeague app, and Elstone went on their show a couple of weeks ago.

If Elstone went on Radio 5 live how long he is then responsible and endorsing their programming?

10 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

The RFL were obviously sponsoring the show last year, so endorse the antics on show.

forgive me for asking as i really dont know, how is it obvious they were sponsoring? are they still doing so this year? 

I would love the RFL/SLE to stop using the Rugby AM guys, but this thread is an odd one!

• Like 6

To be fair they are ex players so it won't really reflect on the game currently but you do bring up a good point on how players use twitter. Of the current SL players on twitter Jackson Hastings is head and shoulders above everyone and always tweets showing a positive image of the game, also Gelling in his own way bring some good light heartdness awareness to the sport to. 

Players should be taught to use twitter to boost their own image and the sports but many don't and some are just embarrassing. The wrorst I remember was back in January when Lewis Tierney decided to post a video of his mate surfing down the stairs what was abit pathetic really. Our big stars should be all over this platform. We moan that our players do not have a big enough profile but the also need to contribute for this to happen. Looking at George Williams last few tweets and they are about football, boxing and hardly anything about the game he plays.

I have used the 2 players mentioned above as examples what sprung to mind first as Williams is an marquee international player and I remember Tierneys tweet (tweeted 13th Jan) as its that pathetic and doesn't really reflect well. Its a handy platform that can attract a relatively large audience/viewers for no cost and it's greatly underused by the players. 

Considering Wigan just played in the  world club challenge neither Williams, Gildart, Sarginson, Powell, oloughlin, Farrell bothered to tweet a single thing about it. Considering Wigan set out to sell out the game surely using these guys on social media would be another tool to use. Instead there to busy tweeting about football and other sports. 

Edited by saintspete83
  • Like 9

39 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I would love the RFL/SLE to stop using the Rugby AM guys, but this thread is an odd one!

I am odd.

41 minutes ago, RP London said:

If Elstone went on Radio 5 live how long he is then responsible and endorsing their programming?

forgive me for asking as i really dont know, how is it obvious they were sponsoring? are they still doing so this year? 

Elstone can't say he wants a more serious image for the sport, but then appear as a guest on a show which is at complete odds with that, and mug for a photo with the host. Will he turn up on Back Chat or a show where they might ask a tough question or just turn up for an easy ride with Simmo and friends?

The Ourleague app sponsored the show, so assume they paid for that.

It's RugbyAM that I have an issue with here. In the clip, Wayne Godwin is wearing a RugbyAM top & holding a RugbyAM microphone - so I presume that this is being filmed to be used as part of a RugbyAM episode.

RugbyAM is usually broadcast at a time when kids & young adults can watch. Every week a significant part of the programme even focuses on youth RL. So, to then have sections of the show championing drinking games is irresponsible & dumb.

What example is that setting to any young kids watching? Can you imagine such a clip being filmed for Match of the Day, Wimbledon, or any athletics programme (Michael Johnson & Steve Cram racing to see who can deck a pint of Newcy Brown first).                            

You would hope in this day and age that the makers of RugbyAM had the sense & intelligence to stop this now. Although the SL & the RFL aren't responsible for RugbyAM, I would also hope that both the SL & the RFL would 'have a word' with the makers of Rugby AM about this. Seeing clips like this on one of the sports main programmes does nothing for the sports image & reputation - with a potential knock on effect of putting off some parents, new fans & sponsors. 

RL has a tough time as it is getting quality media coverage, broadcasting boozing games on one of it's programmes is just another example of the sport shooting itself in the foot. 

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

I am odd.

Elstone can't say he wants a more serious image for the sport, but then appear as a guest on a show which is at complete odds with that, and mug for a photo with the host. Will he turn up on Back Chat or a show where they might ask a tough question or just turn up for an easy ride with Simmo and friends?

The Ourleague app sponsored the show, so assume they paid for that.

Are they still sponsoring it?

Again.. he appeared on it because he needs to get his message across to the listeners.. but why is he responsible for their content in anyway shape or from? you are taken more seriously because of what you say not necessarily where you appear. Serious politicians can speak on umpteen platforms to get their message across to the audience that they need to, if they are good at it they dont look foolish but those that are not good at it are shown up massively its what you say and how you say it that is important. I'm only assuming but I assume he wasnt involved in a drinking competition or any "high jinx"? 

4 minutes ago, Pyjamarama said:

It's RugbyAM that I have an issue with here. In the clip, Wayne Godwin is wearing a RugbyAM top & holding a RugbyAM microphone - so I presume that this is being filmed to be used as part of a RugbyAM episode.

RugbyAM is usually broadcast at a time when kids & young adults can watch. Every week a significant part of the programme even focuses on youth RL. So, to then have sections of the show championing drinking games is irresponsible & dumb.

What example is that setting to any young kids watching? Can you imagine such a clip being filmed for Match of the Day, Wimbledon, or any athletics programme (Michael Johnson & Steve Cram racing to see who can deck a pint of Newcy Brown first).                            

You would hope in this day and age that the makers of RugbyAM had the sense & intelligence to stop this now. Although the SL & the RFL aren't responsible for RugbyAM, I would also hope that both the SL & the RFL would 'have a word' with the makers of Rugby AM about this. Seeing clips like this on one of the sports main programmes does nothing for the sports image & reputation - with a potential knock on effect of putting off some parents, new fans & sponsors. 

RL has a tough time as it is getting quality media coverage, broadcasting boozing games on one of it's programmes is just another example of the sport shooting itself in the foot. 

if its independent then its independent so SL and RFL "having a word" is unlikely to do anything if they are of that mind.. 

agree with the post in general though.

RugbyAM is abysmally bad. It wants to be a cross between Soccer AM and a skit show and it fails massively at both and paints the game out poorly. 

Alex Simmonds’ heart is in the right place and he’s clearly passionate about the game but he makes a rubbish tv programme that does nothing for the game. What channel is it even on these days? Thankfully it’s one that not many people are aware of. 

Wayne Godwin’s part to it is strange. Rather than give opinions and an insight from a past player, he seems like an overly excited, irritant of a child that’s been given two litres of fizzy drink and free range on some pick and mix. 

I’ve always been shocked the game has aligned itself with them because of the quality of the stuff they do and the nature of what they do but I imagine the collaboration is free and thus, it benefits The RFL. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, saintspete83 said:

To be fair they are ex players so it won't really reflect on the game currently but you do bring up a good point on how players use twitter. Of the current SL players on twitter Jackson Hastings is head and shoulders above everyone and always tweets showing a positive image of the game, also Gelling in his own way bring some good light heartdness awareness to the sport to. 

Players should be taught to use twitter to boost their own image and the sports but many don't and some are just embarrassing. The wrorst I remember was back in January when Lewis Tierney decided to post a video of his mate surfing down the stairs what was abit pathetic really. Our big stars should be all over this platform. We moan that our players do not have a big enough profile but the also need to contribute for this to happen. Looking at George Williams last few tweets and they are about football, boxing and hardly anything about the game he plays.

I have used the 2 players mentioned above as examples what sprung to mind first as Williams is an marquee international player and I remember Tierneys tweet (tweeted 13th Jan) as its that pathetic and doesn't really reflect well. Its a handy platform that can attract a relatively large audience/viewers for no cost and it's greatly underused by the players. 

Considering Wigan just played in the  world club challenge neither Williams, Gildart, Sarginson, Powell, oloughlin, Farrell bothered to tweet a single thing about it. Considering Wigan set out to sell out the game surely using these guys on social media would be another tool to use. Instead there to busy tweeting about football and other sports. 

Absolutely bang on, Saintspete.

I don't think anyone is saying that players should only be allowed to tweet about RL, but, (using George Williams as an example) since Wigans first game against Saints on 31/1/19 he hasn't posted one single tweet mentioning RL. 

When you watch Match of the Day, every episode shows Twitter comments from players about that days game that they've played in.
I seem to remember that one player got caught out supposedly Tweeting something that he couldn't possibly have written (I forget what it was now), & it turned out that it was his agent who posted all his 'official' football Tweets - but the point is that the folk who run football worked out ages ago that their sport can utilise things like Twitter as just one of their tools to generate/sustain interest in football. In comparison we seem to be miles behind and amateurish in exploiting this. 

This is about as low hanging fruit as you can pick in terms of it being relatively easy and inexpensive to fix to RLs advantage (each club have some social media training for it's players, and the SL/RFL to introduce a social media policy & procedures for players/coaches to follow). 

I presume that most of us on here won't be anywhere near experts in this sort of stuff, but even to us it just seems glaringly obvious & common sense. At times you really do wonder at the quality of some administrators/marketing/media staff we employ as a sport.  

Can't see the problem, linking Elston is stretching it a bit . I enjoy the programme and the articles with junior clubs is okay. We have a chronic shortage of rl tv shows and one that is on gets moaned at big style with fans. 

24 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Can't see the problem, linking Elston is stretching it a bit . I enjoy the programme and the articles with junior clubs is okay. We have a chronic shortage of rl tv shows and one that is on gets moaned at big style with fans. 

If RL fans don’t like, why would non-RL fans?

How many people on here when they get home from work spend the evening tweeting about work.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

If RL fans don’t like, why would non-RL fans?

Seems to me fifty per cent of rl fans don't like rl going by this forum, they are the games biggest critic's. They must be watched or they would not have a slot, since its start it has improved, I  can wagga antics might upset some fans but there are good sections and good interviews with past players.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Padge said:

How many people on here when they get home from work spend the evening tweeting about work.

I don't think that is a fair comment. Social media could be part of a players role, although we need to be careful with it because they are ultimately personal accounts, maybe they need work and email ones, but that takes a lot of the personality away from it.

There are certain players who are very good on this, but there are undoubtedly players who this is just a job for and they care little for the promotion via social media element, but I think this is where the clubs and SLE need to have a coordinated approach. 

Some clubs and players are very good, some less so. 

I do think the day after the match, it could be expected to have to fulfill some social media obligations taking c5 minutes.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Seems to me fifty per cent of rl fans don't like rl going by this forum, they are the games biggest critic's. They must be watched or they would not have a slot, since its start it has improved, I  can wagga antics might upset some fans but there are good sections and good interviews with past players.

I don't mind the show itself, it does what it sees fit, but its not something I will waste an hour on, but that is cool, I don't need to like every show about RL.

Where I so have an issue is when they carry out official roles for the RFL/SLE, i.e. the staging of fanzones and entertainment, which makes us look like a load of simpletons. The fanzone at the Olympic Stadium for the first game against the Kiwis was one of the most embarrassing things ever as an RL fan, as I had taken a non-RL fan, and they made RL fans look like backward Northern oiks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Dave T said:

I don't mind the show itself, it does what it sees fit, but its not something I will waste an hour on, but that is cool, I don't need to like every show about RL.

Where I so have an issue is when they carry out official roles for the RFL/SLE, i.e. the staging of fanzones and entertainment, which makes us look like a load of simpletons. The fanzone at the Olympic Stadium for the first game against the Kiwis was one of the most embarrassing things ever as an RL fan, as I had taken a non-RL fan, and they made RL fans look like backward Northern oiks.

I can see what you say about the event things, but sometimes we don't need any help in coming across as that stereo type. We aim low and then moan about that. 

1 minute ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

I can see what you say about the event things, but sometimes we don't need any help in coming across as that stereo type. We aim low and then moan about that. 

I dunno, as fans we complain about this stuff, so I wouldn't say that we crave this terrible setup. Having been to many other top class sporting events, I crave some of the stuff they get!

But, there is a point there in that the RL fan base would complain about it if it costs more than £20, so I suppose we get what we pay for!

12 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I don't think that is a fair comment. Social media could be part of a players role, although we need to be careful with it because they are ultimately personal accounts, maybe they need work and email ones, but that takes a lot of the personality away from it.

There are certain players who are very good on this, but there are undoubtedly players who this is just a job for and they care little for the promotion via social media element, but I think this is where the clubs and SLE need to have a coordinated approach. 

Some clubs and players are very good, some less so. 

I do think the day after the match, it could be expected to have to fulfill some social media obligations taking c5 minutes.

It was posted strictly tongue in cheek Dave.

• Like 1

Well.  That was a good read!

The only thing i picked out from all that was, we dont utilise social media enough. Thanks to Salford for showing everyone else how to do it then!

Warrington are getting better at it as well as the Giants exceeding their one tweet a month from last year after only a few weeks of this season, which is encouraging.

The power of social media? Wagga has a beer and look at the stuff above. 

Elstone talks about utilising players to sell the game - after the respect shown Lockers by Cronk et al I would suggest there is our proverbial warrior - bit of media training and the man of steel himself can do a bit.

There are clearly one or two others that we could use as well. 

Jackson Hastings is a safe bet now, seems to have grown a lot since he’s been over here. Wilkin speaks well, even though he has dropped a division.

Well donee Wagga for having a go and being a personality he generates interest, love him or loathe him.

Luther Burrell speaks well, is from Huddersfield, grew up playing League and will talk the game up - obvious choice with Widdop for next season as a mouth piece

Elstone doesnt seem to be delivering by the way - perhaps he is finding the job a little difficult without a large staff to support him?

Promoting the games assets, the players and the fans, is clearly a way forward. If players and fans can generate column inches or tweets or online blog opinion pieces that have thousands of views why not? 

More the merrier.

Elstone has a  huge task, he isn't going to turn things around in a few months, anyone who thinks he can is a complete idiot.