Sign in to follow this  
Wakefield Ram

Widnes in financial trouble already

They have been in bother for two or three years which is the major reason that they were relegated - could't afford quality players. They have no money man behind them whilst everyone else in SL does. The debts that they were carrying coupled with the costs of the ground have eventually dragged them down.

Remember Widnes have always been financially unstable. That's why they had to sell Offiah and Davies for example.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

They have been in bother for two or three years which is the major reason that they were relegated - could't afford quality players. They have no money man behind them whilst everyone else in SL does. The debts that they were carrying coupled with the costs of the ground have eventually dragged them down.

Remember Widnes have always been financially unstable. That's why they had to sell Offiah and Davies for example.

Do they have any centres going begging???👍

2 hours ago, NickD said:

Do they have any centres going begging???👍

We don't sign Lancashire lads any more.

38 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

We don't sign Lancashire lads any more.

Damn....

4 hours ago, the old nine ole said:

Hmmm ... might just be competing for one relegation place now!!

Well, if they go into administration there will be an automatic points deduction whenever the club is reformed.

I have never been a great fan of some of their more colourful supporters when they have visited but the game cannot afford to lose clubs of their calibre. I hope that they find a new owner soon.

• Like 3

Widnes have just now appointed administrators and the RFL have announced a 12 point deduction.

Batley fans will be mightily relieved no doubt.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Widnes have just now appointed administrators and the RFL have announced a 12 point deduction.

Batley fans will be mightily relieved no doubt.

So I guess the administrators will need to liquidate some assets to pay off debts and achieve an ongoing concern which might subsequently attract a buyer  I also believe as they have gone into administration that players are now free to negotiate alternative contracts at other clubs!  .... on top of the 12 point deduction it looks like Widnes in C1 next year!!...

Still Widnes in C1 is better than no Widnes at all!!   .... what a mess!

I'm not 100% sure of the legalities here so I could be completely wrong!!

Edited by the old nine ole

53 minutes ago, Crown Flatter said:

Hard luck for Dom Speakman. 

Maybe not!!  ... when they get rid of all the big earners they will need some good Championship part timers .... Not many better than Dom as a versatile and committed Championship player! .. I know I'd have him in our squad!! ..... But with his business interests would he be interested?? .... after all he hasn't played a game this year!

Edited by the old nine ole
  • Like 1

Why don't all the club's on DR pass them these free players so Widnes can fulfil their fixtures?

2 hours ago, the old nine ole said:

So I guess the administrators will need to liquidate some assets to pay off debts and achieve an ongoing concern which might subsequently attract a buyer  I also believe as they have gone into administration that players are now free to negotiate alternative contracts at other clubs!  .... on top of the 12 point deduction it looks like Widnes in C1 next year!!...

Still Widnes in C1 is better than no Widnes at all!!   .... what a mess!

I'm not 100% sure of the legalities here so I could be completely wrong!!

Not quite. That would be true of liquidation but administrators attempt to sell on a business as a going concern, which would include contracted emloyees provided there had been no breach of contract. We don't know all of the details so any conclusions would be simple speculation.

They could still get more points than those clubs presently on zero, of course, so relegation isn't a certainty.

Just now, Piggy's mate said:

Why don't all the club's on DR pass them these free players so Widnes can fulfil their fixtures?

I do hope that you know the answer to this PM.

7 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Not quite. That would be true of liquidation but administrators attempt to sell on a business as a going concern, which would include contracted emloyees provided there had been no breach of contract. We don't know all of the details so any conclusions would be simple speculation.

They could still get more points than those clubs presently on zero, of course, so relegation isn't a certainty.

I thought they hadn't paid their players ....which is a breach of contract!! 

The administrators have succured enough money to pay the wages for now, the administration comes at the end of February if nobody comes forward to secure them.

This is on the main TRL thread talking with the administrator.

10 minutes ago, the old nine ole said:

I thought they hadn't paid their players ....which is a breach of contract!! 

The players have been paid, by the RFL. Determining whether or not contracts have been breached would require legal knowledge (I have none) and sight of the contracts themselves, wouldn't it?