Widnes

red square

We go into the match against Widnes with high hopes but the odds stacked against us looking at recent form. Is this an opportunity to change things around and approach the game with a game plan that the Vikings will not expect - what we have offered up so far this season hasn't really worked.

If Carter is fit I would like to see him started and told to run the game and show what he can do. I was impressed with him when he featured the in the warm up games. It is an experiment that may not work but on the other hand may prove a masterstroke - we have nothing to lose. (and local boy given chance etc will generate great publicity|). In fact why not give any local fringe player some game time as they'll have something to prove.

This is not getting at Cresta but are the players getting over comfortable with him which means they are no longer paying attention and have become complacent - it happens in all businesses and sports. Have we the funds to bring in a short term assistant for him (e.g. Paul Rowley) who will offer a different prospective and way of getting the message across it - may just raise the game of the players and make us as competitive as we should be at this level.

On 3/6/2019 at 9:57 AM, red square said:

We go into the match against Widnes with high hopes but the odds stacked against us looking at recent form. Is this an opportunity to change things around and approach the game with a game plan that the Vikings will not expect - what we have offered up so far this season hasn't really worked.

If Carter is fit I would like to see him started and told to run the game and show what he can do. I was impressed with him when he featured the in the warm up games. It is an experiment that may not work but on the other hand may prove a masterstroke - we have nothing to lose. (and local boy given chance etc will generate great publicity|). In fact why not give any local fringe player some game time as they'll have something to prove.

This is not getting at Cresta but are the players getting over comfortable with him which means they are no longer paying attention and have become complacent - it happens in all businesses and sports. Have we the funds to bring in a short term assistant for him (e.g. Paul Rowley) who will offer a different prospective and way of getting the message across it - may just raise the game of the players and make us as competitive as we should be at this level.

Red square.... dont take this the wrong way but...have a quiet word with yourself.

Cresta has dragged this club through the s*ite kicking and screaming.  Since the crappy days Of National league 2 in the early 2000's

Hes done the things 99%fans like and players like.

Nurture the youth and bring locals in

Gambled on a bit of a no one and found a gem. Likes of Bullock

Played attractive rugby 

We've had players missing here there and everywhere from injuries greed and the likes.To even comprehend bringing in a big bucks fella as an assistiant is farcical. 

If anything, mirror the clubs player policy and bring a young local coach in to be mentored and learn in that environment. 

Give Carter a go by all means, try whoever wherever, but the fundamentals are letting the squad down...

Missed kicks to touch... result more defending... more penaties... more points against etc. 

Lazy carries... dropped ball more scrums more defending etc. 

Missed tackles etc...

Cresta can coach a gameplan but if the players dont execute the basics then the game plan cant come to fruition.

When it does happen we score points amd this forces other teams to do this.

He is by far the best and right man for the job. And im sure cost effective. Hes so knowlegeable about the game with so many contacts. 

He coaches a gameplan of our opposition off video reviews and the like... then they get 4 dual reg players in last minute which fundamentally changes things? 

Again only opinion.

1 hour ago, B4RR0W said:

Red square.... dont take this the wrong way but...have a quiet word with yourself.

Cresta has dragged this club through the s*ite kicking and screaming.  Since the crappy days Of National league 2 in the early 2000's

Hes done the things 99%fans like and players like.

Nurture the youth and bring locals in

Gambled on a bit of a no one and found a gem. Likes of Bullock

Played attractive rugby 

We've had players missing here there and everywhere from injuries greed and the likes.To even comprehend bringing in a big bucks fella as an assistiant is farcical. 

If anything, mirror the clubs player policy and bring a young local coach in to be mentored and learn in that environment. 

Give Carter a go by all means, try whoever wherever, but the fundamentals are letting the squad down...

Missed kicks to touch... result more defending... more penaties... more points against etc. 

Lazy carries... dropped ball more scrums more defending etc. 

Missed tackles etc...

Cresta can coach a gameplan but if the players dont execute the basics then the game plan cant come to fruition.

When it does happen we score points amd this forces other teams to do this.

He is by far the best and right man for the job. And im sure cost effective. Hes so knowlegeable about the game with so many contacts. 

He coaches a gameplan of our opposition off video reviews and the like... then they get 4 dual reg players in last minute which fundamentally changes things? 

Again only opinion.

???

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

B4arrow - read my quote, I am not getting at Cresta. I am just trying to suggest something which may kick start our season. I agree that it is the basics that are letting the team (and Cresta) down which I why I put forward that a short input from someone else may have the effect of re-enforcing the message. After every game the fans on here and the coach himself make the same observations about discipline, unforced errors etc. but nothing seems to change - do we therefore need a different way of getting the message across - that is my one and only point in suggesting another voice coming in for a short while.

I appreciate what Cresta has done and continues to do for the club and am no way knocking him, just trying to find a way which may help him do his job. I am not blaming Cresta but those players who don't seem to want to take the message on board and may benefit from a fresh face and style  saying "yes guys Cresta is right get this sorted out"

Yes I agree.

But money is not a thing we have a vast pot of (yet) to splurge. From historic refrences Cresta has a wealth of knowlege and avenues to explore locally and in his little black book for advice and has good staff around to ask the questions of. 

I think we need to ride out the next few weeks, possibly smatter the odd under 19 in who will make the senior players realise they atent guarenteed a place. Like we have done to date.

The good thing is people like Aspinall still getting MoMs and showing his teammates staff and fans than Barrow isnt a cash cow and when you pull a shirt on if its your 1st or 501st game you still have to get stuck in.

As fans lets TRUST the staff to get the best from our good squad.

The academy thing and the quality in local teams is plenty to keep this team at a decent level.  Christ you could even get a decent Champ1 team of our local talent

It's a long season, barrow have a good set of players the board have brought new players in to the squad, like last year barrow need to target the games around them in the league so they stay up in this league.creasta now's better than anyone it's a result based job but barrow will be fine come end of season.

Good performance all round today not sure we could of done much more. Stand out performers in Jono, Danny morrow and Jordan Walne. Not sure how the mighty Anthony Gelling stayed on the field after his strike at Josh Johnson?? 

Im afraid though Lewis Charnock just doesn’t look up to the standard at all, cant remember  the last time we had an organised play through him? He seems to just wanna take the ball in like a prop most of the time!

Moan aside a good performance today that I’m happy with and onto Toulouse next week and hopefully a bit of warm sun?

up the raiders.

Miles better performance today against a full time side. I thought Danny Morrow was excellent and offered a lot in both defence and going forward. I think we're massively missing an organisational half back especially when we're in the opponents 20. I won't rant about the ref but I do feel the decision not to bin gelling for the strike is what changed the game. Fair play to the Widnes fans that traveled however I have never come across a more arrogant bunch of fans in my life they whinged about the stadium announcer, the pitch, our players & our fans. Our ground might not be perfect but at least it's OURS and give me a real grass pitch over 3g any day. 

Shame about a relatively poor attendance. Widness brought a big crowd so the ~1700 gate isn't too great for us. I think a lot of people wrote Barrow off today before even turning up. That was a mistake as we made a good show of it. 

Good effort by the lads and all involved. We played MUCH better than in recent weeks.

Thought we played well but they just had an extra 3 or 4 top quality players which made the difference. 

I didn't think ref was that bad but didn't see the strike people have referred too. 

We probably should have done more 1st half with the wind but they were very solid in defence. Going to be very tough next week at Toulouse. 

Widness travelled well and brought big numbers which we'll be thankful for. Unfortunately the vocal ones will always stand out. They definitely brought a few c*nts with them today. I don't think they'd have been particularly pleasant had the result been a bit closer, but I wouldn't write them all off.

1 minute ago, NWDuk said:

Widness travelled well and brought big numbers which we'll be thankful for. Unfortunately the vocal ones will always stand out. They definitely brought a few c*nts with them today. I don't think they'd have been particularly pleasant had the result been a bit closer, but I wouldn't write them all off.

Majority were good fans, more than a few however were total whoppers. 

10 minutes ago, BarraFan said:

Still not good enough, poor performance by a lot of the team it's time for a clear out! Get players in that seem interested, nothing new poor attack

I think this is a little harsh, our second rowers are superb and I don't think our outside backs have had a chance. Props need to do more especially Riley he doesn't bring anything to the team IMO

19 minutes ago, joe142 said:

I think this is a little harsh, our second rowers are superb and I don't think our outside backs have had a chance. Props need to do more especially Riley he doesn't bring anything to the team IMO

Riley, walker, minoga, had a quiet game, walker did nothing, Johnson had a quiet game, time for dan toal to come back at least he has aggression that's what the team is lacking

41 minutes ago, BarraFan said:

Still not good enough, poor performance by a lot of the team it's time for a clear out! Get players in that seem interested, nothing new poor attack

Completely disagree with it being a poor performance, we were beaten by a better team but no way we were poor. 

1st 2 tries in 1st half were from very good half back plays (great kick on 5th for 1st 40/20 for 2nd) the other 2 tries were them pretty much grinding us down. I think the fact they took the lead due to good play early in the 2nd half really put us on the back foot. 

They were very solid in defence and put some big shots on us. We didn't miss many tackles and didn't concede much more penalties/have much more unforced errors. I completely agree our half backs need to create more as our opposition half backs seem to be creating 12-18 points a game which ours aren't. 

It feels disappointing being beat after the last few weeks but if you look at the game just on this week I don't think we can criticise the lads. We played a very good side today. 

22 hours ago, BarraFan said:

Yep thats why we got beat. 

Clear out? Whos on the list? 

Are you available to give up your full weekend plus potential overtime from your job or family time to travel out of the country to likely get a good hiding in the south of France ? 

Surely some rotation perhaps is more the key. Freshen it up.

Players go through spells of good and bad.... 

The halves werent great on Sun and agree the kicking game needs improving. 

Maybe ask Darren holt to come and spend some time with the lads ... hes kicked many a team to death at Craven park. 

I do agree though excuses cant continue, but were not in the realms of oxford coventry (no offence bearman) and west wales.....

Bradford,Widnes,Leigh...... massive hitters from the world of RL.... an element of realism is required.

BARROW ARE GOING TO LOSE MORE GAMES THAN THEY WIN. FACT.

We were slightly fortunate with a couple of results last year(Toronto) and so far we have been slightly unfortunate. (Dewsbury and Sheffield.)

We just have to hang in there and Im sure the team will keep us in the league

Archived