RFL marketing

Just come across a job advert for the RFL head of marketing paying 45-55k per year. Considering the role includes the flowing responsibilities listed below isn't this salary very low? 

It's unfair to compare companies but glassdoor has the average "head of marketing" at 68k. Considering the salaries of Barwick, Rimmer and previously Wood this seems nowhere near what is needed to get the right  candidates for the roll for a job this. 

Pay peanuts.......... You know the rest. 

important and vital to the game. 

• To lead the planning and be responsible for the delivery of the RFL’s Marketing Performance and Programmes, unlocking the marketing potential of Rugby League.
  • To plan and deliver the annual marketing plan that will lead to the development of the sport at all levels, through increased ticket sales, revenue generation, membership acquisition & engagement and participation to maintain organisational sustainability.
  • Management of the RFL, Great Britain RL and England RL brands.
  • Together with Membership Manager develop and deliver the strategy and annual plans of the Our League Membership Scheme.
  • Work with the RFL’s key partners and sponsors to deliver value. 
  • Oversee the communication between the RFL and its customers.

41 minutes ago, saintspete83 said:

Just come across a job advert for the RFL head of marketing paying 45-55k per year. Considering the role includes the flowing responsibilities listed below isn't this salary very low? 

It's unfair to compare companies but glassdoor has the average "head of marketing" at 68k. Considering the salaries of Barwick, Rimmer and previously Wood this seems nowhere near what is needed to get the right  candidates for the roll for a job this. 

Pay peanuts.......... You know the rest. 

important and vital to the game. 

• To lead the planning and be responsible for the delivery of the RFL’s Marketing Performance and Programmes, unlocking the marketing potential of Rugby League.
  • To plan and deliver the annual marketing plan that will lead to the development of the sport at all levels, through increased ticket sales, revenue generation, membership acquisition & engagement and participation to maintain organisational sustainability.
  • Management of the RFL, Great Britain RL and England RL brands.
  • Together with Membership Manager develop and deliver the strategy and annual plans of the Our League Membership Scheme.
  • Work with the RFL’s key partners and sponsors to deliver value. 
  • Oversee the communication between the RFL and its customers.

Does it state who the role reports into? It is always hard to understand the seniority of roles within the RFL. 

Clearly the salary is poor, but the role description could fit some of my marketing peers at my employer and they would have another couple of levels above them. They would also be paid more at our place.

If this is the top marketing person at the organisation, it is very poor. I'd expect at least a marketing director though?

18 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Sometimes when you pay well you just get wealthy monkeys.

Sometimes.   Usually the salary offered would attract wealthy experienced proven people AND wealthy monkeys with no proven background ? So the recruitment process has to be good enough to find the right person for the job.   I doubt you could head-hunt a proven individual on that salary, so might be a case of taking a chance on a young up-and-coming talent.   I’d rather it be the former though...   isn’t Super League also advertising a similar position?   Maybe the RFL marketing person will look after only the interests OUTSIDE of super league such as internationals and the championship.

====

As an example of the converse side of the peanuts-monkey argument, Warrington a few years ago employed a very high-profile ex-tennis supremo as the CEO.   This isn’t a dig at him personally - as I don’t believe he did anything wrong - but he didn’t seem to change much at all.   When he left the club gave a chance to Karl Fitzpatrick who I think was the player welfare manager at the time.   I thought he was a cheap option with little experience, but since he’s been in the role he’s done some fantastic things, not only in the people he’s recruited behind the scenes but also in the promotion and marketing of the club.   Sometimes it pays off.

It's well paid for an RFL job that Ive actually seen advertised but probably below par compared to the industry.  

They are after a couple of content producers too.  Probably a good position for someone just out of Uni who wants to build a nice filming and editing CV.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

10 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Should. Great chance for a young person with a passion for the game to try and make a difference.

The problem is that the salary band will reduce the size of the talent pool. You won't get proven talent at that level. I suppose it depends what they want.

1 hour ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Sometimes.   Usually the salary offered would attract wealthy experienced proven people AND wealthy monkeys with no proven background ? So the recruitment process has to be good enough to find the right person for the job.   I doubt you could head-hunt a proven individual on that salary, so might be a case of taking a chance on a young up-and-coming talent.   I’d rather it be the former though...   isn’t Super League also advertising a similar position?   Maybe the RFL marketing person will look after only the interests OUTSIDE of super league such as internationals and the championship.

====

As an example of the converse side of the peanuts-monkey argument, Warrington a few years ago employed a very high-profile ex-tennis supremo as the CEO.   This isn’t a dig at him personally - as I don’t believe he did anything wrong - but he didn’t seem to change much at all.   When he left the club gave a chance to Karl Fitzpatrick who I think was the player welfare manager at the time.   I thought he was a cheap option with little experience, but since he’s been in the role he’s done some fantastic things, not only in the people he’s recruited behind the scenes but also in the promotion and marketing of the club.   Sometimes it pays off.

I used to work for BAE Systems where there are/were plenty of overpaid monkeys in high management. Usually because of promoting from within rather than going outside the company.

rldfsignature.jpg

4 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

I used to work for BAE Systems where there are/were plenty of overpaid monkeys in high management. Usually because of promoting from within rather than going outside the company.

It is the other way round in our place. Internal promotions get a far lower salary than if they hire in and pay the going rate.

Offering a decent salary won't guarantee a good candidate, but it does widen the talent pool.

At least they haven't insisted on someone with experience in Rugby League this time.  

However, that salary is low for the role and their expectations for experience.  Many marketing managers in the sports/entertainment industry will already be on a similar salary, so even for a first time Head of Marketing it doesn't look particularly attractive.  

31 minutes ago, Cowardly Fan said:

At least they haven't insisted on someone with experience in Rugby League this time.  

However, that salary is low for the role and their expectations for experience.  Many marketing managers in the sports/entertainment industry will already be on a similar salary, so even for a first time Head of Marketing it doesn't look particularly attractive.  

They have however specified having experience of selling out sports or entertainment events, Why be so specific? It is weird. 

They also want somebody who has operated at board/senior management level. People like that are earning more than £45k ffs.

1 minute ago, BatleyBird said:

A bog standard Product or Brand Manager will be on that, five years experience at senior management level for 45k, they’re in cloud cuckoo land. 

And if the talent pool wasn't small enough based on that, they think they can be really specific about experience and industry! 

They really are idiots.

59 minutes ago, Dave T said:

They have however specified having experience of selling out sports or entertainment events, Why be so specific? It is weird. 

They also want somebody who has operated at board/senior management level. People like that are earning more than £45k ffs.

Oh absolutely I agree. It's just one step, they can definitely be broader. 

Will be interesting to look up the background of whoever gets the job. 

Archived