Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mumby Magic

What are the reasons behind the Viewing Increases (Attendances/SKY)

1 minute ago, Mumby Magic said:

Can anyone pin point it. Is it the strategic opening fixture selections? More media coverage -good or bad- than most pre seasons?  New rules?

I honestly have no idea. Anyone?

It the obviously the  'Toronto Effect'...it has brought new interest to the entire game...it is evidence of a new day, a new dawning for RL....a new vision.

It is clearly the 'Toronto Effect' and everyone knows it....time to announce another NA franchise to keep the good momentum going.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

It the obviously the  'Toronto Effect'...it has brought new interest to the entire game...it is evidence of a new day, a new dawning for RL....a new vision.

It is clearly the 'Toronto Effect' and everyone knows it....time to announce another NA franchise to keep the good momentum going.

Put your fishing rod away, Kayak you crafty swine ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

14 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Its the new lure...seems to work every time on the English RL fan.

lure dollar bill.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Can anyone pin point it. Is it the strategic opening fixture selections? More media coverage -good or bad- than most pre seasons?  New rules?

I honestly have no idea. Anyone?

I don't think we are seeing any difference at the moment, but that isn't a bad thing as these things take time. Let's be honest, there has been no more marketing or visibility than previous seasons. 

The 25% increase in cumulative viewers is likely because of a few factors:

A - more games televised this year than last

B - more games on mix, although none iirc so far on Main Event. Channel mix is very important for viewing figures.

C - fixture list included derbies

I can live with the spin, as long as they aren't sitting in the office patting themselves on the back for a job well done, as quite frankly nothing is different.

Ultimately increased viewership is great whatever the reason, but it is more to do with Sky than the game. 

• Like 6

I think there is a minor affect of the season tickets. A few clubs reported selling quite a few more season tickets which obviously has a disproportionate effect on the less attractive games,

I think the games have in general been good, exciting of a higher quality, so a larger amount of people who watch one will watch another and so on.

I think there has been some good signings people are interested in seeing.

Overall i think the 25% increase is a good headline figure though it was a lot to do with how we are delivering the games (thought that isnt a change to be ignored or mitigated in anyway) rather than anything ground-breaking in the marketing or anything like that but thats largely exactly where we should be.

Some quick wins and steady progress is what we should be expecting and if it continues and we can go in to next year on the back of some good news stories regarding growth of attendances and viewing figures, and some quality play and exciting memories, then that sets us a brilliant platform for the bigger changes Elstone has promised for next year.

Surprised nobody has mentioned that Super League pulled out its finger on selling the game by generating a little bit of hype with New Beginnings and the rule changes.

Even if it was spin or cosmetic, it worked. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Surprised nobody has mentioned that Super League pulled out its finger on selling the game by generating a little bit of hype with New Beginnings and the rule changes.

Even if it was spin or cosmetic, it worked. 

What do you mean it has worked? What is the tangible evidence of this?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Is the rise not actually down to the fact that Sky now show an extra game every weekend due to Toronto?

This is clearly the main driver of it...but some still can't bring themselves to admit it...its just too hard for them to admit they were wrong....they need time and our patience.  It is clearly the 'Toronto Effect'.

Could increase viewing figures and attendances even further with Toulouse, Toronto and Bradford in Super League.....

But a traditional promotion and relegation system seems to be more important to most people than the growth of the sport.

This season cumulative total of first Thurs, Fri and Saturday game: 457k.

Last season cumulative total of first Thurs, Fri and Sat game (first Sat game was in wk2) - 468k

Last year benefited from 2 games on Main Event, this year benefited from all 3 on SS Mix.

Getting on Main Event should be the key aim for the comp, I notice we are on there for a game next week.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

This is clearly the main driver of it...but some still can't bring themselves to admit it...its just too hard for them to admit they were wrong....they need time and our patience.  It is clearly the 'Toronto Effect'.

York v TWP attracted just short of 50k, solid, but not sure that Sunday slot will be amazing for figures.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

York v TWP attracted just short of 50k, solid, but not sure that Sunday slot will be amazing for figures.

I agree but there is a little thing known as a 'multiplier effect' which is at play in these things.  This is clearly what has caused the increase, not the actual number, but the multiplier effect'.

"An initial change in aggregate demand can have a much greater final impact on the level of equilibrium. This is known as the multiplier effect

4 minutes ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

And yet despite the "public demand" they have declined to show the Toulouse v Toronto game today....

Is this not just down to the fact that what Sky gain by showing it/selling it to Canadian tv wouldn’t cover the cost of sending a crew to France. 

5 minutes ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

And yet despite the "public demand" they have declined to show the Toulouse v Toronto game today....

Well there could be open streets riots over that very fact  in downtown Toronto tonight....hopefully everything remains peaceful.

• Haha 1

The kind of things that should have been highlighted here are:

- more games on tv leading to increased visibility, c1.7m viewers in the first month.

- 250k viewers for the Wigan v Leeds game, higher than any reg. Season game in 2018

- SL social media channels have had 5.5m views this year

- rules to speed up the games have reduced event time by 7 minutes

It doesn't need the scattergun approach, a little good news keeps the positive momentum going.

We don't need to be so insecure and desperate, be confident with what we are achieving. There are some decent numbers to build on there. 

This is pretty much the same tactic of what the RFL did last year with the Anfield test, telling us it was a record crowd (when you ignore higher crowds just a couple of years earlier!).

Things are going ok, we weren't going to just double crowds out of nothing, it is about building momentum.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

The problem with the 3.00 pm Sunday slot is that is tends to clash with almost every other game in the Championship.

I'd watch a Sunday game at 6.00 pm or 7.00 pm, but its not very attractive to me when it clashes with my own teams game!

Let's see how or if the figures shift once Toronto start playing at home.

I wouldn’t know if the Sky audiences have increased or not as i haven’t got Sky. I can do a bit of jiggery porkery and watch it for nothing. But usually i’ll nip round to my brother’s or mates and let them pay for it legally. As for NEW BEGINNINGS, to me it’s the same old rubbish from SL Clubs. I’m taking Saints for an example as i don’t see them doing any promotion of games in the town. It’s the usual thinking of them and probably other clubs whose thought is “we don’t have to do anything because they’ll turn up anyway”. 9,090 was there last night which i think was a poor crowd, even though the weather was appalling. 

Love to say it was down to London being in Super League but... IMO its the end of the 8/8/8 because with the knowledge that you can buy a season ticket knowing the fixtures up to September (yes I know about Sky changes) more people buy season tickets and once you have bought the ticket you are more likely to go.

I take all viewing figures with a pinch of salt but for me its the click of the turnstiles that is more of an indicator of interest.

• Like 1

?

The dominant ideas in society are always and everywhere the ideas of the ruling class. And always and everywhere they portray us as stupid, untrustworthy with bad motives. Show us respect sir. We gave you everything progressive there is. We gave you democracy. We demand some too.

Eddie Demsey RMT

There were 17.4m people who voted to leave the European Union.

"Any attempt to try to cast their vote aside, as if they didn’t mean it or didn’t understand the consequences, whereas everybody else did, is a bit of a slur on the individuals who took the time to vote, many of them for the first time

Ian Lavery - Labour party chair  - 29th March 2019