Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
saintspete83

Barcelona record crowd?

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

If we get 30,000 there  it will probably be considered a success.

Because it will be.

If it had had all the marketing and cudos the USA would bring to it that would be poor.

Have SL marketed at all, or are they waiting in the true RL tradition to denounce it or share in its glory?

  • Like 1

  Job's worth, job's worth more than my job's worth         

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dave T said:

Are you based in Spain? Are you on any Spanish mailing lists? 

Proof will be in the pudding but if Catalans has sold 20k two weeks ago and Wigan around 6k as rumoured, 4k isn’t great to make up the 30 is it? So we will see what the final attendance is and judge by the attendance of non Catalans / Wigan fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, BenGilesRL said:

Proof will be in the pudding but if Catalans has sold 20k two weeks ago and Wigan around 6k as rumoured, 4k isn’t great to make up the 30 is it? So we will see what the final attendance is and judge by the attendance of non Catalans / Wigan fans.

How many Spanish people would be a good number to get to this do you think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have 10k would be a reasonable number of locals coming along to have a nosy. More good and less disappointing, depending on the degree. 

That could see the final number in the 40k+ bracket? 

  • Thanks 1

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RayCee said:

I would have 10k would be a reasonable number of locals coming along to have a nosy. More good and less disappointing, depending on the degree. 

That could see the final number in the 40k+ bracket? 

Agreed, 10k would be decent, but not incredible. 20k would’ve been a great effort

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can write down on one side of paper the number of times we have convinced 20,000 northerners to turn up for a normal Super League game. To expect that many Spaniards to show up for something they know nowt about is to set yourself up for failure.

Look at the attendance, not the size of the stadium. If the attendance ends up being the RECORD ATTENDANCE FOR A REGULAR SEASON SUPER LEAGUE MATCH, we should be bloody pleased.

  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perpignan got 55k in Barcelona in 2011 against Toulon in Union........I think it was a big semi final but still it shows there should be a big appetite for the game in the City especially to support a team representing Catalonia.

That was in the olympic stadium too which is rubbish compared to the Nou Camp.  Now the football is done and dusted over there hopefully quite a few locals will attend.

  • Like 1

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

You can write down on one side of paper the number of times we have convinced 20,000 northerners to turn up for a normal Super League game. To expect that many Spaniards to show up for something they know nowt about is to set yourself up for failure.

Look at the attendance, not the size of the stadium. If the attendance ends up being the RECORD ATTENDANCE FOR A REGULAR SEASON SUPER LEAGUE MATCH, we should be bloody pleased.

Spot on. If we can get 30k, that is substantially more than this game normally gets, and substantially more than an I individual SL game has got for a long time.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BenGilesRL said:

Agreed, 10k would be decent, but not incredible. 20k would’ve been a great effort

I would look it that way too.

  • Like 1

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The 4 of Us said:

According to?

You just quoted him. 😮


My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BenGilesRL said:

Agreed, 10k would be decent, but not incredible. 20k would’ve been a great effort

What are you comparing to get those figures? 

Within the UK we don't have a great track record for attracting new or heartland fans in those sort of numbers. Look at Magic Weekend, we don't get 20k from the north east or other host venues and that's multiple games. 10k from Barcelona would be great in my opinion, that exceeds Catalans and SL's average for one game. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

If we get 30,000 there  it will probably be considered a success.

That figure has been M. Guasch's target throughout. Which would be a SL record, of course, and also a bigger crowd than any game in France in the last 50odd years.

L'indepedant had a couple of pages yesterday - more than they managed ahead of the Challenge Cup final. One of the stories says that the Barcelona president was rather impressed by the Catalans fans singing Els Segadors at Wembley and the invite came from that. And there are certainly some locals intending to be there - numerous senior politicians from Catalonia on the VIP list.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big Picture won't be happy though. The ground is 6m short of maximum size.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

If we get 30,000 there  it will probably be considered a success.

Its a success to be invited to play a game there. Anything extra (Crowds, TV, Media, Sponsorship etc) is a bonus that should be used to FURTHER develop the game. Playing a one off game achieves little as we have so often seen. What needs to happen is using the game to use as a springboard for further games in the area and hopefully have amateur grassroots to develop like it has done in particular in the Valencia area.

The obsession with the Crowd is for me strange. Does it really matter if 20K, 30k or 40K turn up? The game being held in such a Stadium in a non Rugby League area is worth talking about-certainly far more than crowd size.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, burnleywelsh said:

Rain according to a couple of weather sites 

That can't be true as we all know where the rain in Spain falls.

  • Haha 1

rldfsignature.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

If we get 30,000 there  it will probably be considered a success.

Probably??????? What planet are you on?

  • Sad 1

rldfsignature.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was at that match at the Olympic Stadium and the TV was there and their camera work, judged from the large screen provided was superb. I thought, at the time, that's what we've been missing and denied all these years!

Crowd wasn't bad either though some would claim it was no where near "wasn't bad" and far less than that.


  Job's worth, job's worth more than my job's worth         

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The crowd will have been significantly hampered by the late release of tickets and match date.  Imagine if there'd been a year build up to it?  I'm sure thousands more could've planned a holiday round it with a bit more notice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JonM said:

Big Picture won't be happy though. The ground is 6m short of maximum size.

I don't think he minds provided you condense the lines and shrink the players slightly so it looks ok on TV.

All jokes aside, it sounds like it is a very small pitch (the report I read compared it to Cas - perhaps the only similarity between the two grounds), which might well look a bit odd.


I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Its a success to be invited to play a game there. Anything extra (Crowds, TV, Media, Sponsorship etc) is a bonus that should be used to FURTHER develop the game. Playing a one off game achieves little as we have so often seen. What needs to happen is using the game to use as a springboard for further games in the area and hopefully have amateur grassroots to develop like it has done in particular in the Valencia area.

The obsession with the Crowd is for me strange. Does it really matter if 20K, 30k or 40K turn up? The game being held in such a Stadium in a non Rugby League area is worth talking about-certainly far more than crowd size.

Yeah, which RL fans thought they had a realistic shot of ever seeing a match at the Nou Camp? 

It's a big deal but for some if it's not a sell-out and the Spanish national team doesn't win the 2025 World Cup then it can't be judged a success.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

The crowd will have been significantly hampered by the late release of tickets and match date.  Imagine if there'd been a year build up to it?  I'm sure thousands more could've planned a holiday round it with a bit more notice. 

I think significantly hampered is a gross exaggeration. There was still plenty of notice and tickets have been on sale long enough. It's not as if Spain is on the other side of the world.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goal posts go up!

 

 

  • Like 2

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...