Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bearman

Hemel and New York

Just read about it on the Hemel Stags website. No change for Stags in becoming the best amature team in the South.

• Thanks 1

But the North American Dream is dead a certain poster has insisted.

And NYC were a bunch of chancers who wouldnt pass the first inspection, they had been rejected we were told.

18months for the RFL to shrug its shoulders and say you decide is impressive to be honest.

• Like 11

Hemel Stags wish to advise that ownership of Hemel Stags (2016) Limited - which operates the Betfred League 1 team - has been acquired by a Canadian consortium.

This change of ownership has no impact on the Hemel Stags community club at Pennine Way - Hemel Hempstead Amateur Rugby League Club - which holds the long-term lease on the land at Pennne Way and owns all the assets on that land and which will continue to operate its successful community rugby league programme in and around Hemel Hempstead.

Bob Brown

Chairman

http://hemelstags.com/article/55643/change-of-ownership

Looks like we will probably have another 2 NA franchises pretty soon

• Like 6

Public knowledge for a while and finally The RFL have mentioned it officially. 

Neither Hemel Stags company at Companies House have had an official change of ownership via Companies House, as yet. 

This is such an exciting news story, I can hardly contain myself. The wait for more information is agonising. Come on Rugby League. 

I know it's a long way from fruition, but is the expectation that these possible NA teams will enter League 1? Or is there a likelihood of a big shake up regarding having 2 SL leagues where these new concept clubs might just drop in to a more advanced set-up so avoiding the struggling L1 sides having to conjour two trips to NA? L1 would be much the same as it is today with all GB membership.

If the L1 and C clubs agree with these changes, what happens then about the SL clubs, will the next step be to engage with them?

• Like 3

I'll bet there's a fair number of them eager to block the whole thing? 

• Like 1

I suspect when the new tv deal kicks in, people should realise this tv money goes to S/L it is up to them how much is filtered down . I think there will only be Super League 1&2 . With a lot of teams being cut adrift. Can see a lot of money being spent next season trying to get out of league 1.

Edited by newbe

1 minute ago, newbe said:

I suspect when the new tv deal kicks in, there will only be Super League 1&2 . With a lot of teams being cut adrift. Can see a lot of money being spent next season trying to get out of league 1.

...and probably without any actual knowledge about where the goalposts will eventually be placed.

Didn't the clubs reportedly block the Wilby consortium? Will this bid have a different fate at the hands of the self-obsessed clubs?

Pass the buck to the clubs then RFL. Many of which may put self interest above the good of the game. Great leadership there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Pass the buck to the clubs then RFL. Many of which may put self interest above the good of the game. Great leadership there.

To be fair, isn't this the way it always happens? The RFL make their recommendation and do the groundwork, but ultimately anything like this needs to be voted in by the clubs?

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

To be fair, isn't this the way it always happens? The RFL make their recommendation and do the groundwork, but ultimately anything like this needs to be voted in by the clubs?

I can see that but when many of those clubs are little more than amateur, homeless and haven't a pot to #### in I don't see why they should be allowed to potentially hold the game to ransom. Hopefully they don't and see the bigger picture.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

I can see that but when many of those clubs are little more than amateur, homeless and haven't a pot to #### in I don't see why they should be allowed to potentially hold the game to ransom. Hopefully they don't and see the bigger picture.

I can see both sides. It is the way the game is run, and has been for a long time. They are voting on something that can affect them majorly.

The RFL are in a no win situation here. If they don't consult the clubs they get criticised, if they do consult the clubs they get criticised. 

Personally I hope both bids get approved but it is only right the clubs are consulted in my view. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Mate, they're only interested in £££. If any of these prospective clubs throw some money in the pot, you'll see how many of these clubs soon turn. Money talks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrfranco said:

...and probably without any actual knowledge about where the goalposts will eventually be placed.

That certainly applies to Rochdale :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Presumably the RFL also provides the member clubs with all the necessary information, financial, operational etc. so they can make an informed decision and not have to go asking these questions themselves. But they'd have to be nuts to say no... so of course they will.