Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MattSantos

Worlds most expensive cities

The report doesn't include things such as housing costs and utilities etc. It is based on things like the cost of a loaf of bread, a cup of coffee, a haircut etc. I'm not sure how reliable a study it is when the cost of housing isn't included given that it is most people's primary cost.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

42 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

London isnt even top 10 

Thoughts?

I haven't seen the study but have lived in Brussels and London. People often think London is an expensive city, and it certainly is to rent or buy a flat, or to to buy a beer or a plate of fish and chips in central areas. Commuting into London from the edges or outside is also an eyewateringly expensive, and unpleasant, experience. 

But for most day-to-day items, London is pretty reasonable: food, energy, council tax etc cost the same as you would pay in any random northern town. And there are some things that are cheaper: buses are plentiful and cheaper than other towns and cities, and there are lots of cheap/free days out.

• Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

19 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Mega surprised it doesnt include housing as thats why i thought Singapore and HK were joint top.

According to the report it is based on "160 products and services - food, drink, clothing, household supplies and personal care items, transport, private schools, domestic help and recreational costs".

They use New York as the benchmark and then cities are ranked depending on the % price differential in US$, which also means that exchange rates can have an effect. New York is the benchmark at 100, Singapore scored 107.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

It's an interesting topic isn't it? You would think property would be a big factor in the cost of living somewhere. Obviously this research isn't about that though. Looking at it from that angle, you can understand places like Hong Kong and Singapore being expensive with how densely built up they are. Property is at a premium because there isn't much space to build more. Hong Kong of course has the largest number of high rises in the world (and is my favourite city I will add but you don't need to know that!). Developers can charge more because there is a limited supply of housing and a lot of people scrambling to get it and willing to pay whatever they have to.

Of course people are drawn to these places for their amenities. New York is a good example because of its culture such as museums, theatre, night life and so forth. That probably explains to a certain extent about London as just Browny mentions above. Property is expensive because people want to live in the city for its culture but other things such as everyday goods don't need to be because there is a huge supply of those things that can be brought in.

I'd like to see some figures from about 10 years ago before Internet shopping took off. With the rise of Internet shopping, everyday goods from a shop will probably have come down in price because of the sudden increase in competition. Small countries like Singapore will have higher prices for these things because they have to import them and so companies can charge more because the country need them. Same sort of situation as the housing I suppose. So in that case location will probably be a factor as well.

I went to Luxembourg and it was 7€ for a ham sandwich, I'm guessing because there aren't masses of pigs in Luxembourg. Least I think it was ham. Don't have a massive grasp of french so just bought it based on what it looked like! Though I did once buy a sandwich which I thought was chicken in Paris but it tasted more like crab!

Anyway, I'm just rambling now. Human geography is my favourite subject! :D

Copenhagen is quite pricey.

But we can check that with @Bob8

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

With the availability of inexpensive food from supermarkets it's not surprising, large cities like London you can find products at a decent price if you shop around, even s/h cars can be quite cheap because of the sheer number of cars available. Mega cities will have more affordability because vast swathes of the population will not be on mega money, there's an absolute need/market to provide these people with products they can afford.

Housing aside, most household items can be as expensive or as inexpensive as you want to pay in London.

Now as for housing, different matter altogether, someone was telling me that central Sydney was more expensive than London, I just laughed, showed them what a modern apartment in South Sydney overlooking the harbour, less than 10 minutes walk to the Australian museum, Barangeroo Reserve etc, then compared it to what you might get in London for same. A much smaller apartment in an much older building that was facing not onto the thames but to the plebs from the 4th floor. From the other side the best view if you craned your neck you'd maybe catch a glimpse of the bow of HMS Belfast, simply no comparison as to purchasing power.

Switzerland I found particularly spendy everywhere, France can be inexpensive if you're in a bigger town/city and have choice but certainly in the mountain resorts, food and drink at least go right up to CH levels. We paid €7 for a 1/2l of lager in one hotel in Megeve (12miles ESE of Mt Blanc), we couldn't really afford to eat in the hotel on our budget (we were on a crossing the alps by bike trip) so had to search around for somewhere that wasn't quite as much.

8 hours ago, Derwent said:

It is based on things like the cost of a loaf of bread, a cup of coffee, a haircut etc.

God will people be travelling on away days to get a hair do, a java to go and a sliced white?

2 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Don't have a massive grasp of french so just bought it based on what it looked like! Though I did once buy a sandwich which I thought was chicken in Paris but it tasted more like crab! 

Specsavers

Job's worth, job's worth more than my job's worth         

if any major city in the world doesn't have a greggs within 50 yrds  of a Wetherspoons then its a rip off and I wont be going.

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

I wonder how the cost of living in such places compares to the average wage. High prices are less of an issue if you're comparatively well paid. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb