Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Plow

Reserve teams in League 1?

Recommended Posts

Comments made by Barriw Chairman about scrapping dual reg and SL clubs putting reserve teams in League 1

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/put-super-league-reserve-teams-in-league-one-suggests-club-chairman/

Could benefit development teams but I don’t think you want more than 12 teams in League 1 so would have to form a League 2 

Edited by Mr Plow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Comments made by Barriw Chairman about scrapping dual reg and SL clubs putting reserve teams in League 1

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/put-super-league-reserve-teams-in-league-one-suggests-club-chairman/

Could benefit development teams but I don’t think you want more than 12 teams in League 1 so would have to form a League 2 

Really disagree with this. Leave league one be please and instead of bonkers ideas like this how about clubs just have a reserves league... 

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Really disagree with this. Leave league one be please and instead of bonkers ideas like this how about clubs just have a reserves league... 

I wouldn’t add anymore teams to L1i think a small division benefits development teams such as Coventry, Skolars ect.

The main issue is young players not getting competitive game time, reserve grade would fix that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Suggested this a few times.

League One has lost its way, it’s purely existing and nothing else. There seemed to be the idea it was going to be a development league around the time All Golds, Hemel, Oxford and Coventry come in and with London, Newcastle and West Wales (South Wales then) around, it seemed a good plan for that level of the game. Then a couple of years later, the powers that be had another change of mind and it all went to pot and we now have a league without a purpose and teams just surviving, not thriving. 

There seems to be quite a sway of interest in a Reserve grade returning at the top level of the game but, correctly IMO, teams want a proper, organised, competitive league and with League One losing its way, it could be a way in for the reserves and a way for League One to return to the premise of it being a development league. 

The crowds at Coventry for Leeds Academy’s visits have been impressive in pre-season and if given the opportunity to host the Leeds’, Wigan’s and Saints’ in a proper league game would be good news for them. 

I do wonder about this though. From a Saints perspective, I’d rather see Jack Ashworth, Danny Richardson and Matty Costello playing regularly in the Championship if they’re not getting in the nineteen each week rather than them possibly playing the likes of West Wales. No disrespect but they’re above that level and it also wouldn’t be much good for the development of League One teams. I know the names above aren’t Academy players but there would be still some need for a loan market for the likes of the names above. 

I’m not sure if all Super League clubs could just start a Reserve side like that, I think it would be your top clubs that would be able to walk straight into League One. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would rather see No super League players in the Championship unbalancing matches (Rochdale had 5 in a recent match that's nearly half the team, just think of the lads that train week in week out at Rochdale ect only to be told they are being dropped so a super league player can get fit) and the tight wad super league run a proper reserve league. Dual reg is the biggest disaster in Rugby league ever

 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you look at Major League Soccer they allow reserve teams in the USL D1 now does it work many will say no because they can't compete vs the non reserve teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this could work if it was kept to just a few clubs. I’d suggest Leeds, Wigan and St Helens.

It’s not completely untested in Rugby League, Catalans have a side in Elite 1. Most Queensland Cup and New South Wales Cup sides are effectively reserve NRL sides.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the likes of Saints Wigan Leeds etc are struggling to find competitive games for squad players  having a "2nd" team in a lower division makes perfect sense

SL is an unachievable pipe dream for some clubs. Why not give them the chance to at least visit and play at some of the bigger grounds

Would rather watch Saints reserves play some competitive games with a purpose than the reserves league in its recent format

 

 

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I think this could work if it was kept to just a few clubs. I’d suggest Leeds, Wigan and St Helens.

 

If Leeds carry on as they are, they'll be in that division anyway!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

League 1 hasnt lost it's way- last season was a cracking season with some good crowds and some very good players.

However we arnt soccer or even Union and dont have all their cash, so we need to do what we need to do.

If the likes of Wigan and Saints played their reserves it would help them pay for the reserves and it would boost the crowds in the division. If a team say Coventry played say Leeds reserves at Coventry you could see the local fans turning out in numbers. In turn the level of play would improve.

For once let's just sort this now for next season - what is there to lose??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems a silly idea. Especially with P+R. If your complaint is that DR makes the league unequal how on earth does putting sides that don't care about winning make that any better? it makes it exponentially worse.

Leeds, Wigan, Saints and Wire reserves finish 1,2,3,4 in the league, who goes in to the play-offs? who gets promoted?

The structure of the sport, its size and the environment it operates in doesnt really lend itself to it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

League 1 hasnt lost it's way- last season was a cracking season with some good crowds and some very good players.

However we arnt soccer or even Union and dont have all their cash, so we need to do what we need to do.

If the likes of Wigan and Saints played their reserves it would help them pay for the reserves and it would boost the crowds in the division. If a team say Coventry played say Leeds reserves at Coventry you could see the local fans turning out in numbers. In turn the level of play would improve.

For once let's just sort this now for next season - what is there to lose??

You could have a league with 24 or 25 teams that could be a issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or just bolt on Lg2 - SL teams in Lg1 & Lg2 but can only go up as far as Lg1 - all other teams can be promoted and relegated as they can now - easy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Just lump in all the clubs willing and able to field reserve teams into a ‘Development League’ and organise a fixture list. Why is that so hard?

It isnt hard, it just doesnt really achieve anything. A reserves league doesnt work because its not at a high enough level.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

It isnt hard, it just doesnt really achieve anything. A reserves league doesnt work because its not at a high enough level.

Of course it achieves something, it gives game time to fringe/injury-comeback/young/trial players. There’s no need to reinvent the wheel

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Of course it achieves something, it gives game time to fringe/injury-comeback/young/trial players. There’s no need to reinvent the wheel

A wheel works. Reserves league doesnt.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Of course it achieves something, it gives game time to fringe/injury-comeback/young/trial players. There’s no need to reinvent the wheel

Indeed, plus it keeps players in a fully professional environment with the best training available and playing the correct systems for that club. Dual registration certainly doesn't work and I haven't spoken to anyone that isn't scathing about it as a means of developing young players.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The main issue with this idea is whether you allow promotion for the Super League Reserve sides or not. If you don’t and you get a situation where the top two or three of League One is Super League Reserve teams and the third or fourth best team are getting promoted, you’re in danger of watering down the talent further in the Championship. 

There’s also an argument that you’re stuttering growth of the young players from the Super League clubs by not allowing them to progress to their natural level if you’re penalising them and denying them promotion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Damien said:

Indeed, plus it keeps players in a fully professional environment with the best training available and playing the correct systems for that club. Dual registration certainly doesn't work and I haven't spoken to anyone that isn't scathing about it as a means of developing young players.

Systems, yes, hadn’t thought of that but seems logical.

You don’t need whizzy comps with complex structures, just fixtures. Nobody really cares who wins A-team comps anyway, it’s the taking part that matters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Damien said:

Indeed, plus it keeps players in a fully professional environment with the best training available and playing the correct systems for that club. Dual registration certainly doesn't work and I haven't spoken to anyone that isn't scathing about it as a means of developing young players.

Dont speak to Rob elstone then. Hes been pretty scathing about a reserves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Systems, yes, hadn’t thought of that but seems logical.

You don’t need whizzy comps with complex structures, just fixtures. Nobody really cares who wins A-team comps anyway, it’s the taking part that matters.

That's why it doesn't work. The step up from a development comp where nobody cares who wins to a fully pro SL environment proved too big. That's why we got rid of it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

That's why it doesn't work. The step up from a development comp where nobody cares who wins to a fully pro SL environment proved too big. That's why we got rid of it

And made that gap even wider ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

And made that gap even wider ?

Did we? The gap between the championship and SL is far smaller than it was between the reserves/U23/colts and SL

The fact is most sports are moving away from reserved not towards because reserves dont work. There are next to no major sports who rely on a reserves to develop players.

Why not just have full feeder teams. Instead of Coventry playing Leeds academy give Coventry access to Leeds knowledge and expertise and player base and share that to try and build Coventry. Let Leeds take care of the developing players and putting out a squad and let Coventry take care of what they should be taking care of. Getting people through the gates and getting kids playing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Did we? The gap between the championship and SL is far smaller than it was between the reserves/U23/colts and SL

The fact is most sports are moving away from reserved not towards because reserves dont work. There are next to no major sports who rely on a reserves to develop players.

Why not just have full feeder teams. Instead of Coventry playing Leeds academy give Coventry access to Leeds knowledge and expertise and player base and share that to try and build Coventry. Let Leeds take care of the developing players and putting out a squad and let Coventry take care of what they should be taking care of. Getting people through the gates and getting kids playing 

Football has reserve leagues. Nobody cares who wins them, but they do care about fringe/injured/young players getting game time and making progress. They work, whatever you may think.

I’m confused by your idea of feeder clubs. Are you suggesting Coventry should be Leeds A playing in Coventry?

Edited by Man of Kent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...