What's your favourite RL shirt ever?

13 hours ago, Nate90 said:

I don't really have a favourite as there are so many to choose from , I think when I was a young child the kits colours and designs were one of the many things that initially sparked my interest in the sport.  I do have a preference for retro shirts with quite minimalist design.

yep, I used to spend hours with paper and felt tip pens designing and drawing kits, just for my mum to throw them away an hour later.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm always surprised that there seems to be so much love for this shirt

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVnCYLpXcpzAEAeEy-x8Y

From a personal point of view, it's probably because it coincides with the first GB series that I can remember, and it was a particularly iconic one, at that. Wales used a similar template for the 1995 World Cup which again is quite an iconic one, largely because of the team wearing it rather than the shirt itself.

eng_pl_WALES-RUGBY-PUMA-SHIRT-L-35365_1.jpg

Maybe tying in to the discussion on another thread about the retailing of England shirts, but the England 1995 shirt was by far the biggest seller I've ever known, they seemed to be everywhere for a good couple of years afterwards.

1995-1996-england-rugby-league-shirt-adults-xxl-2xl-8184-p.jpg

12 hours ago, chuffer said:

Was it the 88 one that had thinner blue and red stripes and the trophy sponsor on it though? Thats the one that my retro vintage top (recent purchase) is based on. Wore it at an exeter chiefs game and got loads of compliments about it, even got chatted up by a student lady in a bar who wanted to know what it would take to acquire it from my person?

What was the price and did it require any cash. 

This, from 1991, is my favourite. The original sponsor (Copy Consultants Group) went bust partway through the season and the club issued iron-on patches of the new sponsor, Beazer Homes.

For me, Beazer Homes is synonymous with the best era of Fev shirts. 

featherstone-rovers-home-shirt-1990-1991-s_688_1.jpg

1991-1992-featherstone-rovers-no-2-rugby-league-shirt-large-[2]-12181-1-p.jpg

I do like the classic Wigan, Hull, Leeds, Widnes etc style shirts from the late 80s. Some great jerseys and a great illustration of how sometimes less is more.

I also like many of the Ellgren ones from the early 90s, a lot of these were still quite a classic design with a more modern look.

After that we got some truly wacky designs where clubs began to lose complete touch with their traditional jerseys.

27 minutes ago, Damien said:

I do like the classic Wigan, Hull, Leeds, Widnes etc style shirts from the late 80s. Some great jerseys and a great illustration of how sometimes less is more.

I also like many of the Ellgren ones from the early 90s, a lot of these were still quite a classic design with a more modern look.

After that we got some truly wacky designs where clubs began to lose complete touch with their traditional jerseys.

When I was on the committee at Irlam Hornets, our sponsor, a certain John Wilkinson, who was chairman at Salford at the time, offered to pay for 2 new kits, we looked through the catalogue and I proposed a similar pattern to the Classic Leeds shirts, but in Black and Yellow for our first kit, and Red & Yellow for our 2nd strip. It was passed, and we had some of our most successful years in the mid '80's wearing those.

Archived