Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fevnut

fevnut's musings 2019/13: What is wrong?

fevnut’s musings: What is wrong?

In the latest edition of fevnut’s musings we consider what was wrong against Dewsbury last Sunday. We don’t claim to be an expert but think we can see something that is missing in the team at present and it is something that Dewsbury had in bucket-fulls! If we are right there needs to be some urgent sorting out.

Access ‘musings’ by clicking on the link below and don't forget to use the links on the right hand side of the page to open other interesting pages.

https://fevblog452.blogspot.com/2019/03/fevnuts-musings-13-what-is-wrong.html

Edited by fevnut
correction

Not a lot wrong, the forwards were a pale shadow of themselves compared to how they performed against Sheffield and Halifax, but it doesn't make them bad players, and we don't know whether everyone was 100% fit, especially with Brad Day starting on the bench, and playing very few minutes? John Davies didn't seem his usual self either, maybe he's losing confidence after not being an automatic choice in the starting line up? I know it might sound daft but has losing his no.12 shirt affected him, and I also have a feeling he prefers to play down the right rather than the left? Didn't Harrison also play down the left at Batley? I know its probably a minor thing, and coaches say it shouldn't affect a player's performance which side he plays on, but we all know that Tommy Saxton was only half the player on the right wing!

Talking of left or right, Briscoe can play either but Watson is more of a runner and kicker than a passer and Reynolds has a much better passing game, so why is Luke playing down the left?

Watson seems to have lost his way over the last few weeks, is he missing his brother? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

Not a lot wrong, the forwards were a pale shadow of themselves compared to how they performed against Sheffield and Halifax, but it doesn't make them bad players, and we don't know whether everyone was 100% fit, especially with Brad Day starting on the bench, and playing very few minutes? John Davies didn't seem his usual self either, maybe he's losing confidence after not being an automatic choice in the starting line up? I know it might sound daft but has losing his no.12 shirt affected him, and I also have a feeling he prefers to play down the right rather than the left? Didn't Harrison also play down the left at Batley? I know its probably a minor thing, and coaches say it shouldn't affect a player's performance which side he plays on, but we all know that Tommy Saxton was only half the player on the right wing!

Talking of left or right, Briscoe can play either but Watson is more of a runner and kicker than a passer and Reynolds has a much better passing game, so why is Luke playing down the left?

Watson seems to have lost his way over the last few weeks, is he missing his brother? 

Watson seemed to have a good link going with Brad Day on the left side, like you I suspect Day might not be 100% fit yet. I also agree re putting Briscoe on the right wing, especially when Holmes is fit - Holmes is a rare half back who seems better on the right side than left (he's left-handed) and set up umpteen tries for Briscoe last year.

Traditionally your left winger (old number 5) was always the more prolific scorer in that most players are right handed and that may mean, depending on their skill level, that they pass marginally better to the left.

If we have an excellent left-handed half-back distributor, that could change.....

1 minute ago, marklaspalmas said:

Traditionally your left winger (old number 5) was always the more prolific scorer in that most players are right handed and that may mean, depending on their skill level, that they pass marginally better to the left.

If we have an excellent left-handed half-back distributor, that could change.....

Players' agent Craig Harrison was talking about this on Twitter this week, saying he advised his players to try and get on the left edge rather than the "graveyard shift" right edge, though not all the players who replied agreed with him.

Strangely, in recent years the right winger at Fev seems to have been a much more prolific try scorer than the left wing, even in Tommy's day.

Nowadays wingers come inside looking for work to rest the forwards a bit. Tommy Saxton would always be seen weaving in and out down the middle. He had it off to a fine art and was difficult to put down.

3 hours ago, Phil Loxton said:

Nowadays wingers come inside looking for work to rest the forwards a bit. Tommy Saxton would always be seen weaving in and out down the middle. He had it off to a fine art and was difficult to put down.

Players of his calibre, sadly missed

7 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Strangely, in recent years the right winger at Fev seems to have been a much more prolific try scorer than the left wing, even in Tommy's day.

Really? I don't have the stats on that but, for example, last year all Briscoe's tries were down the right were they?

1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

Really? I don't have the stats on that but, for example, last year all Briscoe's tries were down the right were they?

Yes Luke played right wing last year. I first noticed this when Saxton was playing, he was such a good player but seemed to end up with fewer tries than the right wing guy(s) most years.

I'd say a wingman's centre partner has a big bearing on their try scoring exploits. IIRC, Smeaton was left centre for most of Saxton's time at the Club? I never thought he was particularly good at providing for his wingman, far too often getting tackled in possession after creating space 

2 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I'd say a wingman's centre partner has a big bearing on their try scoring exploits. IIRC, Smeaton was left centre for most of Saxton's time at the Club? I never thought he was particularly good at providing for his wingman, far too often getting tackled in possession after creating space 

No LTS, IIRC Smeaton was right centre? Tommy had Welham alongside him in 2010, then mainly Bozzy, before he moved into the forwards, then mainly Greg Worthington, but Tommy's game was about much more than try scoring, he probably made more yards than any forward in the league?

54 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

No LTS, IIRC Smeaton was right centre? Tommy had Welham alongside him in 2010, then mainly Bozzy, before he moved into the forwards, then mainly Greg Worthington, but Tommy's game was about much more than try scoring, he probably made more yards than any forward in the league?

Tommy was great for us, but I'd suggest he wasn't really a traditional winger in that pace and finishing wasn't really the best part of his game. His illusiveness in running across the line and finding a gap or drawing defenders in was where he was at his most dangerous. I agree with the left/right sided arguments of passing to free a winger into space, but wouldn't have expected it to have much have an impact on Tommy's contribution (not scoring record) for us. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Something a miss at Fev. What I want to know is, why is our Chairman laughing and joking with Jamie Ford, the coach of a York in our division? He was there in directors box other week. I can't imagine what that does to our current coach's frame of mind. 

Think you'll find our troubles have little to do with players and coaching staff, and more to do with up on high making absurd appearances. 

Edited by ROVERS FOREVER