Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
marklaspalmas

Match Thread: Toulouse v Featherstone Rovers Saturday 6th April 2019

Big test for Fev in France. It would be a great result to do them there. I think they are far from unbeatable, but we'd need to be at our very best, and better than we've been all season so far.

Squad wise, for me, the forwards look ok, but the backs are very thin. The idea we can somehow do without DR & loans because we beat Swinton is laughable unfortunately.

Forwards:

Middle: Wheeldon, Ormy, Makatoa, Cooper, Lockwood. (Bussey still suspended)

AHB: King, Maskill

Back row: Davies, Harrison, Day (Walters still injured?) (Beckett if needs be).

That's fine.

Backs:

With Carey, Teteh and Boas injured, we've got Josh Hardcastle.

Render's done enough to warrant another go, and Richardson did ok, though I'd be wary of playing anyone with those two in key positions (FB and SO)

However, even with a second-rower at centre (not at all ideal) we are still three short of a backline.

We need Briscoe, Golding and Reynolds, plus Newman and Holmes if we are really going to compete.

For any Fev fans who follow other Championship teams' Twitter feeds, it's been a bit sobering over the last couple of weeks...as we prepared for the Swinton game which seems to have cost us so dearly in injuries, there have been daily videos of Toulouse's training sessions, weights sessions, recuperative sessions, team-bonding exercises etc. You couldn't have two more contrasting preparations for this weekend's game and it does make you rather envious that Toulouse are able to opt out of the Challenge Cup.

In all honesty I think we face a massively difficult task against a team that has scored 96 points in its last 2 home games, including 46 against Toronto. When we played here last year we had Ridyard and Holmes, Briscoe was playing, we had Newman, Lilley and Oledzki on DR, Mitch Clark and Jansin Turgut on loan and the likes of Hock on the bench...and we still were beaten 36-10. As Mark says, much will depend on who we can get on DR in the backs, but even so it will be some effort if we are competitive in this game.

Then again I thought that when we played Catalans in the CC a couple of years ago and we nearly beat them, so who knows. Time for a gallant backs-to-the-wall effort!

Squad announced https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/walters-to-return-in-france-BF0hj

Well that looks about as strong as we could have hoped for in the circumstances given the injuries. Presumably Callum McLelland (Leeds' academy international half back)hasn't been brought in just for trip to France so Richardson might miss out, which would be unlucky, but he'll get more chances in the future for sure, probably very shortly in the Cup at Bradford..

Possible line-up:
Golding
Render
Hardcastle
Newman
Briscoe
McLelland
Reynolds
Wheeldon
King
Cooper
Davies
Day
Lockwood

subs
Makatoa
Walters
Harrison
Ormondroyd

(unless he wants another hooker on the bench in which case Maskill might feature).

18 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

That's my 17 too. Bit harsh on Jorge but there we are. I look forward to seeing Render at full-back again.

In fact, next week's backline could be fun.....

Agree re Jorge, but we are in a much better position now than last year in terms of opportunities available for fringe players. Jorge will probably get another run-out against Bradford, and there will be plenty of reserve games too.

And yes we will have a very inexperienced backline against Bradford, but at least we will be able to turn out 17, which wasn't always the case towards the end of last season. As you suggested above, we actually have plenty of depth in the pack; unusually, we have suffered more injuries amongst the backs this year.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

That's my 17 too. Bit harsh on Jorge but there we are. I look forward to seeing Render at full-back again.

In fact, next week's backline could be fun.....

he will get plenty more chances im sure

Golding, Briscoe & Newman bring a lot of quality to the side, but McClelland is an unknown factor? Take him out of the equation and it's a very strong line-up, so you never know? Toulouse will be without Stan Robin, but Willie Barthaeu comes in for him, so they will still be very strong in the halves.

I suspect Phil will be close with his prediction regrettably

4 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

A very quiet weekend. Nowt of any interest occurred🤗

There was uproar when one of the brethren nearly forgot his pate de foie gras...............

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

4 minutes ago, roversspud said:

There was uproar when one of the brethren nearly forgot his pate de foie gras...............

That would have been catastrophic!!😂

• Haha 1