Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
geoffcooke

Standard Cup Final 2019

Recommended Posts

Excellent

 

Ooopppsss edit...sorry,got the impression it was a double header at whitebank..sadly it isnt

Edited by roughyedspud

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a great time watching saddie put in a sterling performance in beating Mayfield. Many thanks to the volunteers who give their valuable time in organising this great cup event. Things like are a testimony to everything's that's great about rugby.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously there will be reasons why not but couldn't it have been a double-header at Whitebank with the Standard Cup Final at 11am and Oldham v Hunslet at 3pm (ie over 2 hours between the end of one game and the start of the other) with a chance to earn revenue from having the "catering" facilities open for longer than usual.

Regarding how much to charge spectators ... entry to the Standard Cup was £5, so why not charge that to anyone coming in before 11.45am (ie half time of the final) and then the usual entry fee afterwards ?  OK, some people will stay to watch both games for just a fiver but between the two games many would then spend extra money over the bar, etc that the club would not usually receive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me the standard cup final should stay as a stand alone event. It is it's own event and a popular one. I believe that at whitebank any revenue made regarding food, drink etc goes to avro and not the rugby club. That's what I've been told anyway, forgive me if I'm wrong. Oldham rugby union is a good venue and it opens the game up to people who might not otherwise consider rugby league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saddleworth Rangers with the Standard Cup after their 32-20 defeat of Rochdale Mayfield.

Sam Hart receives the Rugby Oldham sponsored Ben Powell trophy as Man-of-the-Match.

P4190044 (2).JPG

P4190036 (2).JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, geoffcooke said:

Saddleworth Rangers with the Standard Cup after their 32-20 defeat of Rochdale Mayfield.

Sam Hart receives the Rugby Oldham sponsored Ben Powell trophy as Man-of-the-Match.

P4190044 (2).JPG

P4190036 (2).JPG

Fantastic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

For me the standard cup final should stay as a stand alone event. It is it's own event and a popular one. I believe that at whitebank any revenue made regarding food, drink etc goes to avro and not the rugby club. That's what I've been told anyway, forgive me if I'm wrong. Oldham rugby union is a good venue and it opens the game up to people who might not otherwise consider rugby league.

Good point. Agree about the venue although I don't think many people outside RL would really know about the significance of both an RL match being played at Manor Park nor why this particular game is special.

What about asking the RFL fixture planners to always ensure Oldham have a home game on Good Friday afternoon (and ensure the Standard Cup Final is always Good Friday morning - which has not been the case during some recent years) and then giving every spectator at the Standard Cup a voucher to get a £5 discount on their entry to watch Oldham in the afternoon ?  It just might attract a few more spectators, both to Manor Park in the morning and then to Whitebank in the afternoon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Good point. Agree about the venue although I don't think many people outside RL would really know about the significance of both an RL match being played at Manor Park nor why this particular game is special.

What about asking the RFL fixture planners to always ensure Oldham have a home game on Good Friday afternoon (and ensure the Standard Cup Final is always Good Friday morning - which has not been the case during some recent years) and then giving every spectator at the Standard Cup a voucher to get a £5 discount on their entry to watch Oldham in the afternoon ?  It just might attract a few more spectators, both to Manor Park in the morning and then to Whitebank in the afternoon.

I think what I meant by other people considering rugby league was the union people at the ORFUC. I know some people in either code won't have anything to do with the other. I don't see it that as I've played and spectated both. I love rugby as a whole. Your idea of Oldham playing at home every good Friday with the £5 voucher would be a great idea and would serve the standard cup and roughyeds as a whole. I don't know how the RFL would look at it though. I had a great time at manor park(I follow saddleworth as well)and my afternoon at whitebank would've been better had they won. By the way I love your forum name,it couldn't be more true, we're all sky's lapdogs aren't we?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

By the way I love your forum name,it couldn't be more true, we're all sky's lapdogs aren't we?

Yes, the only reason we went to summer rugby was because Sky wanted a team game to show during that time of year in order to sell their dishes ... and that probably wouldn't have happened if 20-20 cricket had been started by then.

It was also only because Sky wanted it (or rather their Australian RL producer wanted it) that we now have an end-of-season play-off to decide the champions. Yes, that was OK when there was only1 division and not everybody played each other - as when Oldham won it in 1957 and as they have in Australia - but the RFL abandoned that idea when they split into two divisions so that the team finishing top of the league were champions.

Yet nowadays a team could easily win every league game of the season plus their play-off matches and then not become champions because they lose the final by one point. ... ridiculous.

In fact, we might as well call our game "Aussie Rules" because they're the ones who make them all.

I am just concerned with what might happen to RL if Sky ever decide it's not worth pursuing ... it's already often shown on one of their lesser sports' channels when they feel something else more important is on at the same time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we all worry about what sky decide,the game is in their hands unfortunately. Sad. I do agree with your third paragraph 100%. If you come top of the table at the season,your the champions,seems to work in football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...