Steeden balls

We're now 9-10 games into the SL season and I must admit I've seen a noticeable reduction in the amount of knock ons and handling errors this year, particularly in wet conditions. I'm convinced the change to Steeden balls is a factor. Does anyone have any facts to back up my belief and what are other peoples thoughts?

The Super League stats section stupidly wipes stats of any club not now in SL, so it makes it difficult to compare stats as Widnes are not included when you go and look back at 2018. This is a new 'improvement' they have put in.

But, looking at a high level, and using the metric of errors per carry, it suggests that there has been a reduction of c1.7 errors per game. Obviously the sample size is lower, and the omission of the worst team in 2018 distorts it slightly. We should also remember we are never comparing like for like as extrenal factors like weather conditions.

The stats are also difficult to use as you have no idea whether the 2018 season is looking at 30 games, or 23, or what. Loving this improved site.

38 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The Super League stats section stupidly wipes stats of any club not now in SL, so it makes it difficult to compare stats as Widnes are not included when you go and look back at 2018. This is a new 'improvement' they have put in.

But, looking at a high level, and using the metric of errors per carry, it suggests that there has been a reduction of c1.7 errors per game. Obviously the sample size is lower, and the omission of the worst team in 2018 distorts it slightly. We should also remember we are never comparing like for like as extrenal factors like weather conditions.

The stats are also difficult to use as you have no idea whether the 2018 season is looking at 30 games, or 23, or what. Loving this improved site.

I was about to do the same but encountered the same issues as you.

I got as far as determining that on average we are getting 10.5 errors per team per game this year. But then looking at last year I wasn't certain whether the stats were for 23 or 30 games, so I didn't bother. I think it's probably 23 games, because some of the stats would be really low if it was for 30 games.

Just now, MZH said:

I was about to do the same but encountered the same issues as you.

I got as far as determining that on average we are getting 10.5 errors per team per game this year. But then looking at last year I wasn't certain whether the stats were for 23 or 30 games, so I didn't bother. I think it's probably 23 games, because some of the stats would be really low if it was for 30 games.

yeah I ended up with establishing that the error to carry ratio this year is 6.0% and last year 6.5%.

So based on a team making c180 carries per game, they now make 11 errors instead of 11.9 last year. 

So generally each team is making one fewer errors per game. This may drop further as we go into a better weather period, although I think we have done quite well compared to last year.

But the shambles that is the stats section since SLE took them over onto their site is pretty typical tbh.

There just a better standard of ball. Always been the brand for rugby league ball. Does anyone know if the super league ball is available for purchase anywhere 

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

There just a better standard of ball. Always been the brand for rugby league ball. Does anyone know if the super league ball is available for purchase anywhere 

They are a great ball. Not sure where you can get a proper match ball these days though. I remember my dad buying me one at IIRC the 2005 CC semi final from one of the merchandise vans. It cost about £40 so I wasn't allowed to use it on concrete ?.

6 minutes ago, Spike said:

In the British game, the Steeden brand has only been used for around 10-11 years.

Even in the Super League we have seen Mitre, Gilbert and Rhino as well as them.

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

Does anyone have any facts to back up my belief and what are other peoples thoughts?

I can only go off personal experience of training with both and I have to say I found my own handling of Steeden to be better. The grip on the Steeden's is better IMO, they just seem to stick to your hands better when you catch them....oddly, I've found that the Rhino balls seem a bit lighter (though I don't know if that's true) and so passing them doesn't feel as "right".

Going on from what has been said a brand new Steeden is great to play with but I have noticed through repeated use the grip can become worse quite quickly. That wont be a problem to most pro teams as they will be using fresh ones all of the time. For amateur teams after the freshness has gone there will be little difference.

10 hours ago, Dave T said:

In the British game, the Steeden brand has only been used for around 10-11 years.

Even in the Super League we have seen Mitre, Gilbert and Rhino as well as them.

Did we use Puma balls at one point as well?

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

28 minutes ago, latchford albion said:

Yeah, I think that may have been just before SL, but could be wrong. I think that Offiah try at Wembley was with a Puma ball. But my memory could be way off!

1 hour ago, latchford albion said:

First Rugby League ball i ever bought was a Puma ball. 

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

5 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

First real ball I had was Mitre.  

Before that it was a plastic one with the laces painted on from Woolworths.

Same on both counts! The mitre balls were 4 panels of smooth leather, also v slippy in the wet but it never seemed to be an issue in the winter rugby era

On 11/04/2019 at 19:44, Spike said:

Most local clubs would have access to a supplier. Steeden had staff and a UK base back as recent as 2013. To the best of my knowledge, they would still have a UK base,

On 11/04/2019 at 21:14, The Blues Ox said:

Going on from what has been said a brand new Steeden is great to play with but I have noticed through repeated use the grip can become worse quite quickly. That wont be a problem to most pro teams as they will be using fresh ones all of the time. For amateur teams after the freshness has gone there will be little difference.

All depends on the quality of ball being used. They have a range of about five, all the way from a trainer (which are cheap and many clubs use for matches to save pennies) up to the professional ball, which will retain its grip much longer.

A bit of a sad indictment of our game, I’ve been trying to buy a current steeden ball for my kids. This is not easy  almost impossible.  This seemed a fairly basic request for the most basic tool of our game    Plenty of old rhino balls  and some old nrl steeden. But no current super league steeden balls     Google couldn’t find any available in over 60 billion pages  

finally found a basic steeden kids ball on eBay from a nice chap in knottingley  £10.

I’ve seen lots of names of people with some lovely job titles at the rfl and super league in the last week given the events, do any of them have a clue ?  Answers please on the back of a current steeden ball by Tuesday  best answer will receive a current steeden ball.   V rare item 

8 minutes ago, Danny Boy said:

A bit of a sad indictment of our game, I’ve been trying to buy a current steeden ball for my kids. This is not easy  almost impossible.  This seemed a fairly basic request for the most basic tool of our game    Plenty of old rhino balls  and some old nrl steeden. But no current super league steeden balls     Google couldn’t find any available in over 60 billion pages  

finally found a basic steeden kids ball on eBay from a nice chap in knottingley  £10.

I’ve seen lots of names of people with some lovely job titles at the rfl and super league in the last week given the events, do any of them have a clue ?  Answers please on the back of a current steeden ball by Tuesday  best answer will receive a current steeden ball.   V rare item 

Although not a replica of the balls used in games, you can buy club-specific Steeden balls from club shops. 

Leeds Rhinos, one of the biggest clubs in the game on line shop, have 5 balls. None are current steeden balls   all old Rhino balls  ‘Official partner of super league’ 

our merchandising is run like a market stall  actually more like a car boot stall 

Archived