Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sticklebricks

The end of leon

The Lancaster/Sutton issue has power struggle written all over it. Not using Curwen for long Friday was a strange decision 

Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

1 hour ago, DocH said:

Can’t see Leon being blamed for the spate of injuries we have and the size of our squad so clearly something else going on behind the scenes. As for him being to blame for ‘local players’ jumping ship thought that started with Clarke and the Bod and at the time I recall many on here saying good riddance.  

Anyhow I look forward to seeing all these talented ’local’ amateur players people are talking about queuing up to join us now and making the difference and are we really going to get the best from Penky now? Hope I’m wrong but I think rudderless and down on players the decline will continue and thats it for another season.

I agree DocH, everyone keeps harping on about a local team , where are these locals at ?? the best amateur players that are out there are prima-donnas and expect  ££££ for signing on , most have well paid jobs and can go on tours to the other side of the world regularly,  there is  6/7 decent local players at Haven and when that pot runs dry they will run back to Town and bleed them dry to, it happens every year and will never change until there is only one left sadly.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Hate the rec said:

everyone keeps harping on about a local team , 

It’s total throwback fantasy these teams don’t exist anymore 

51 minutes ago, townie88 said:

It needs someone new, someone young and exciting to match all the good, hard work the board has done to raise the club to where it is now. By appointing an old head from the amateur scene who has been here before would be a backwards step if you ask me. One thing is certain, if we continued in the same vein as we had been, we would never achieve our goals this season. Something had to change! And sadly, more often than not, its the coach that is the 'easiest' to replace.

Players like Sutton trained 3 times last week. Was named in the squad. Then at the last minute was replaced by an amateur on trial!? Whose decision was that!? He's a centre to!! Hearing Tom Curwen has had enough of training 2 or 3 times a week and getting a 10 minute stint (if at all). If things continued, we would have been at risk of being unable to raise a 17.

Said already, my shortlist would be Carl Forster, Jason Payne and Chris Thorman. All young, ambitious coaches

Alan Kilshaw, Mike Grady, can’t think of any more on top of your list 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gillmeister said:

The Lancaster/Sutton issue has power struggle written all over it. Not using Curwen for long Friday was a strange decision 

I know you are well involved in seaton Peter, who’s the best amatuer there you have and who else in the league could fit the bill? Just out of curiosity.

9 minutes ago, Annon said:

I know you are well involved in seaton Peter, who’s the best amatuer there you have and who else in the league could fit the bill? Just out of curiosity.

Just my personal opinion but Lewis Mason. Who else would I sign for Town? Owen Hoyles at Ellbra is a cracking player as is Zac Olstrum and they’ve plenty that will develop in the next couple of years as we have at Seaton. I also like Liam McNicholas at Dis looking long term as they’ve lots of good players but at the wrong end of the age spectrum. The conference teams have several players that could step up but as others have said they aren’t willing too

1 hour ago, NorthWest RL Academy said:

Just been looking at the betting odds:

Wilkes - 6/1

Forster - 1/2

Thornman - 4/1

Kilshaw - 9/2

McCormack - 9/1

Pryce reinstated - 11/2

Betts - 10/1

Which bookmaker is this with? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Townie89 said:

Which bookmaker is this with? 

Yeh I’d be interested to see those to

45 minutes ago, gillmeister said:

Just my personal opinion but Lewis Mason. Who else would I sign for Town? Owen Hoyles at Ellbra is a cracking player as is Zac Olstrum and they’ve plenty that will develop in the next couple of years as we have at Seaton. I also like Liam McNicholas at Dis looking long term as they’ve lots of good players but at the wrong end of the age spectrum. The conference teams have several players that could step up but as others have said they aren’t willing too

Strange not to mention the two we had on trail in pre-season. I have seen a bit of Mcnicholas when he has played up lowca for distington and in the Copeland Vs Allerdale game. Looks strong for his age.

2 minutes ago, Annon said:

Strange not to mention the two we had on trail in pre-season. I have seen a bit of Mcnicholas when he has played up lowca for distington and in the Copeland Vs Allerdale game. Looks strong for his age.

I only mentioned Lewis as the answer to the question of who is the best amateur at Seaton but that’s just my opinion. Dom and Liam are good players as are others the big thing with any amateur is a good pre season to hit the ground running 

Perhaps we had to let Leon go early as it`s what we failed to do with Clark when he managed to upset half the Team leading to us losing the Phillips brothers and several others who played for Haven on Friday .

• Like 1

It's a another sad day to be a Town fan we have gone from optimism to crisis in a few weeks. I can understand why the supporters are split by this news Leon was well liked by the majority of fans and he certainty raised the profile and interest in the club, the superb attendance on Friday being proof of that. Personally I've been concerned about our performances since the Siddle game, like most Town coaches he's been unlucky with injuries but we never had a big enough squad in the first place. We don't know the reasons for Leons departure but we have never been a club who sack a coach on the back of a couple of bad results, no doubt it will all come out in the wash. I would like to think it wasn't about his inability to beat haven, we had 4 of our best 5 players missing on Friday but most of us still expected to win, the fact that we were out enthused and out played didnt sit well with fans and probably the BOD. I've no doubt that Leon will go on to bigger and better things, I would love to see him replace Kear at the bulls some day. Thanks for all of your efforts Leon and I wish you the very best for the future. I wouldn't be rushing into appointing another coach just let Olly take the reigns and see how we go.

• Like 3

Its pretty obvious why Leon, who is constantly on twitter has said nothing since yesterday. Its also pretty obvious why the club has said nothing who are always on twitter has said nothing. There'll be an agreement in place surely? All of the vocal ones out of the supporters club who are calling the BOD liars and idiots should take a look at themselves as its unfair. The BOD handles itself very well and will be doing things for a reason. Leon was very good at saying the right things to the right people. I'm sure there are very good reasons and it won't be as reaction to the haven game. Calling the club on twitter is wrong at this point.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, GentlemanJim said:

Its pretty obvious why Leon, who is constantly on twitter has said nothing since yesterday. Its also pretty obvious why the club has said nothing who are always on twitter has said nothing. There'll be an agreement in place surely? All of the vocal ones out of the supporters club who are calling the BOD liars and idiots should take a look at themselves as its unfair. The BOD handles itself very well and will be doing things for a reason. Leon was very good at saying the right things to the right people. I'm sure there are very good reasons and it won't be as reaction to the haven game. Calling the club on twitter is wrong at this point.

Great post. A polite reminder they are supporters clubs of workington town. Not the leon pryce fan club. The board were here before leon, to pick up the pieces of the club that were left, I might add! And they'll be here long after him. Doing what's best for the club. 

This board put their hands up when nobody else would. And have overseen the transformation to where we are today. To call any member of them is out of order in my opinion

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, GentlemanJim said:

I'm not on Twitter so impervious to all the apparent drama. Saying the right things to the "right" people seems to be the default position for many of the cast of this latest crisis , including you 😉

Correct, coaches are here for at most three years ,us the fans including the directors are in it for life. Losing the last two league games has put us behind the eight ball but its early enough to be rescued. We havent even been inconsistent so i couldnt see where the improvement was coming from to change our poor form. It was great to have a legend as coach but we need a change of leadership and some astute signings in the backline. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Hate the rec said:

As a town supporter for nearly 50 years I would like to thank Leon for everything he has done in a very demanding role, he lifted our profile and got people talking and taking an interest in Workington Town that we haven't seen in years, he will have made mistakes and done the wrong things at times but he gave it a good go. He always came and shook my hand and talked to my family, good luck Leon and all the best to you and your family. 

Excellent post mate.

He has certainly left us in a better position than we were when he came.We must move quickly to replace him and keep the positivity going around the Club as it has taken a long while to get the crowds on the up but won't take long to lose them again.

Being in Leeds only 2 weeks along with around 500 Town fans showed me how much potential the Club have if we can just get a decent product on the pitch and continue with the amazing off field work that many have put in.Merchandise sales have been very good and the Welcome in the Club shop is great and I for one have spent more money in there this year than i probably did in the previous 5.

Get Chris Thorman on board and lets get this Party Started !!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Agree entirely about our progress off the field and the magnificent work and effort to our cause this BOD puts in .  Disappointed as I am by this outcome that is no sleight at all on those making the decisions . There’s always a story , always reasoning and we don’t know the full story over time so to call anyone is going to far . These guys oversee the whole picture , one thing we’ve seen is they do everything they do for the good of the club as they see it . I wish Leon well , he raised our profile and took us to a within a game of a higher league , but I also appreciate this BOD and respect them in their stewardship of our club

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hate the rec said:

Has someone at the club ran over a black cat  !!!!

I think we need answers about this black cat

go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...