New York Times

3 hours ago, Tonka said:

New Yorkers have surely all heard of Wigan.  Whenever I go they ask me about Martin Offiah.

Tell them that Wigan is where wigs came from and they would actually believe you...I'm not kidding.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having one story in the New York Times is a great coup, but will not have any impact on the success of the New York venture. We need to have more articles in the future. But the Murdoch owned New York Post tabloid, if directed by the company's heir apparent Lachlan Murdoch (a huge rugby league fan) to regularly cover the new New York rugby league team, will be more effective than the New York Times in getting bums on seats.

New York will not be a big rugby league success if its only north American competitors are Canadian cities. We need at least one if not more US cities (specifically Boston, or Philadelphia, or Chicago) to participate in competition with New York for there to be serious north American TV coverage and thus for the New York public to become quite interested.

I'm seeing various indigenous names. I don't know if they're a joke or not, but in case anyone in the UK hasn't noticed, teams are dropping those type of name on this side of the pond.

Appropriate names for New York:

New York Subway Vultures
New York Cheesecakes

14 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

New York Giants but my preferred would be 'Yankees', afterall Yankee is actually a term for people from New England and specifically those descended from the early settlers from England, so I think it would historically be an appropriate nickname, most of all it would create a hell of a stir and get a lot of people talking.

Getting ANY sort of connection to one of the big teams in the region of ANY sport would be huge and beneficial.

Fair point but I assume it's trademarked?

10 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

New York Trumps

New York Dolls

New York Stock Exchangers

New York Broadways

New York (Central) Parksiders

New York Empire

New York Hawks

New York Buffaloes

Ottawa Otters

Ottawa Beavers

Ottawa Capitals

Ottawa Owls

Look , I've told you all , the ' Liberties ' , badge sorted as well 

On 14/04/2019 at 20:16, Yorkshire Knight said:

Sorry fellas. I’ll try to be less critical and realistic next time 

Just stick to a rah rah forum please. RL might be inclusive but we draw the line with flat earth believers 

3 hours ago, Pie tries said:

Just stick to a rah rah forum please. RL might be inclusive but we draw the line with flat earth believers 

The flat Earth forum is the rah rah one but you fall of the end of the pages of the Telagraph not the world.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

New York Rugby Apples, sponsored by Kingstone Press.

Whatever they come up with I just hope the fixtures fall kindly as a Toronto, Ottowa, New York RL road trip over 2 and a bit weeks would be on my bucket list.

8 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

New York Rugby Apples, sponsored by Kingstone Press.

Whatever they come up with I just hope the fixtures fall kindly as a Toronto, Ottowa, New York RL road trip over 2 and a bit weeks would be on my bucket list.

I am sure they will.

21 hours ago, Oxford said:

The flat Earth forum is the rah rah one but you fall of the end of the pages of the Telagraph not the world.

Why isn’t Yorkshire Troll banned ?

34 minutes ago, Pie tries said:

Why isn’t Yorkshire Troll banned ?

Two theories the yawn lizards have taken over the forum or he skims the water like a well thrown stone. Is there enough evidence for either or both?

But for entertainment value he's right up there with Parky.

Having said that in very worrying times he does say some quite disturbing stuff!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

I like New York Empire.

All New Yorkers know Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal due to rivalries in various major North American sports.  I agree that Boston, Philly,  and perhaps Pittsburgh or Baltimore would be potential targets .  Other alternatives might be Detroit, Cincinnati, or Cleveland.

It was a good article.  I noticed they also published a prior one in 2017 on Toronto.  But it will take exposure in one of the New York rags and a concerted effort among expat communities as well as rugby fans in order to put to help put bums in the seats.  In America it will help to get a big name personality, such as a movie star to help promote.

Archived