Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TIWIT

Perez speaks!

Recommended Posts

The NRL has been sitting on its hands for too long. The lack of initiative shown is breathtaking.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the ambition that Perez has. He really makes things happen while others just talk the talk and don't really do or achieve anything. Rugby League certainly doesn't have enough people with that kind of drive and ambition.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Damien said:

I love the ambition that Perez. He really makes things happen while others just talk the talk and don't really do or achieve anything. Rugby League certainly doesn't have enough people with that kind of drive and ambition.

Why do you think he frightens SL chairman especially the ones used to being at the top of the food chain?

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Why do you think he frightens SL chairman especially the ones used to being at the top of the food chain?

Clubs wanting to maintain the status quo, and not actually grow the game, has been a problem in the sport for as long as I can remember.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Damien said:

Clubs wanting to maintain the status quo, and not actually grow the game, has been a problem in the sport for as long as I can remember.

Yeah, but before there was no one to put the wind up them. When you have someone to compare with in everything that matters it gets noticed far more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Why do you think he frightens SL chairman especially the ones used to being at the top of the food chain?

And who will more than likely not allow them in for that reason.  I can imagine several being nervous at the prospect of another four foreign teams displacing them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Damien said:

Clubs wanting to maintain the status quo, and not actually grow the game, has been a problem in the sport for as long as I can remember.

Most SL clubs are quite content to be big fish in a small pond. They are well aware (or at least they should be) their pond is slowly getting smaller, but they are content because to do try something to make their pond bigger, as Perez proposes, would cost them money. Horrors!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everybody wants growth , as long as they are part of it , and for some to grow more than everybody else , and that is more important to them than any total growth of the sport 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TIWIT said:

Most SL clubs are quite content to be big fish in a small pond. They are well aware (or at least they should be) their pond is slowly getting smaller, but they are content because to do try something to make their pond bigger, as Perez proposes, would cost them money. Horrors!

Or cost them their place as a big fish in that pond 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Big Picture said:

And who will more than likely not allow them in for that reason.  I can imagine several being nervous at the prospect of another four foreign teams displacing them.

It will be the ones at the top and the ones at the bottom all through fear when you're reactive rather than proactive you focus on the negatives and problems rather than the opportunities and solutions.

 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Everybody wants growth , as long as they are part of it

And there's the opportunity, the question is how do you make yourself part of it, indispensable to it? How much do you want that future to include you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Or cost them their place as a big fish in that pond 

Good point. Enlightened self-interest. Or self-preservation in this case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Oxford said:

It will be the ones at the top and the ones at the bottom all through fear when you're reactive rather than proactive you focus on the negatives and problems rather than the opportunities and solutions.

And there's the opportunity, the question is how do you make yourself part of it, indispensable to it? How much do you want that future to include you.

Yes, they all have reason to fear loss of position and prominence.  Some would lose their place in the top tier outright, and others would lose their place at the top of that top tier sooner or later.

A serious question about all of the traditional clubs is, can they possibly make themselves indispensable to growth?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If SL wanted to be brave it should invite Perth and Adelaide teams into our league and go truly global

OK logistical issues but UK clubs could play 2 consecutive weekends down under then get a week off

If we were being really really brave the NRL and SL should simply merge. Hemisphere conferences so initially not that much travel leading to cross hemisphere Quarter finals, Semi final and Grand final. GF played in alternate hemispheres. 

Would be some great games and a global league would attract some big name sponsors

  

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, headtackle said:

If SL wanted to be brave it should invite Perth and Adelaide teams into our league and go truly global

OK logistical issues but UK clubs could play 2 consecutive weekends down under then get a week off

If we were being really really brave the NRL and SL should simply merge. Hemisphere conferences so initially not that much travel leading to cross hemisphere Quarter finals, Semi final and Grand final. GF played in alternate hemispheres. 

Would be some great games and a global league would attract some big name sponsors

  

 

No thanks. I'd rather Super League progress as it is with more French and North American teams. That is more than a big enough market without needing the NRL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, headtackle said:

If SL wanted to be brave it should invite Perth and Adelaide teams into our league and go truly global

OK logistical issues but UK clubs could play 2 consecutive weekends down under then get a week off

If we were being really really brave the NRL and SL should simply merge. Hemisphere conferences so initially not that much travel leading to cross hemisphere Quarter finals, Semi final and Grand final. GF played in alternate hemispheres. 

Would be some great games and a global league would attract some big name sponsors

  

 

Syncing up TV times would be problematic would it not?

Edited by TIWIT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, headtackle said:

If SL wanted to be brave it should invite Perth and Adelaide teams into our league and go truly global

OK logistical issues but UK clubs could play 2 consecutive weekends down under then get a week off

If we were being really really brave the NRL and SL should simply merge. Hemisphere conferences so initially not that much travel leading to cross hemisphere Quarter finals, Semi final and Grand final. GF played in alternate hemispheres. 

Would be some great games and a global league would attract some big name sponsors

  

 

You wouldn't need a GF in alternate hemispheres, just keep the GFs as they are and add in a "Superbowl" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

Syncing up TV times would be problematic would it not?

Not really. The time zones arent a problem they are our friend, add 4 teams to SL and a couple to the nrl as planned and you would have 17 live matches a week. Keep the Thursday and Friday slots for each Comp and that leaves 13 games a week. 2.5 hours per broadcast gives 39hrs of live Rugby League on a Saturday and Sunday. The time zones would mean you could schedule that with little to no overlap. 

For the cross conference games. Play them during the summer 1pm London is 8pm Perth and 10pm Sydney. You could easily fit a game or two in the slot between 10am and 3pm London time, on a Saturday 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

When it comes to eric perez these forums are like scenes from the classic monty python movie, life of Brian at times.....

Yeah, he's either the Messiah or the Anti-Christ.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

Yeah, he's either the Messiah or the Anti-Christ.

...or a very naughty boy!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m impressed he knows the local term for Cronulla’s territory..

”"A place like Adelaide has got to woo one of these Sydney clubs over. As an individual club you might say, ‘we are safe in the Shire, we have got our fan base, we have been here for so long, why should we move'.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Copa said:

I’m impressed he knows the local term for Cronulla’s territory..

”"A place like Adelaide has got to woo one of these Sydney clubs over. As an individual club you might say, ‘we are safe in the Shire, we have got our fan base, we have been here for so long, why should we move'.”

He was talking about Middle Earth.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...