John Drake

Thu 18 Apr: SL: London Broncos v Catalans Dragons KO 7.45pm

Who will win?  

26 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

• London Broncos
    • Catalans Dragons

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/04/19 at 18:45

6 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

Unless they are willing to bring in 4-5 quality SL players ie Gelling, LMS, Escare type level I can't see them getting beyond another 2 wins. 

Les Dracs are not the best attacking team and put 36pts on them. 

I get how the owner feels are financially they are not suited to SL in their present guise but are great for the championship. 

I for one am enjoying it for now and will see. However worst case scenario the Championship has loads of good games for us next year- assuming Wolfpack go up I'd  really look forward to the match ups against Toulouse/Widnes/Bulls/Leigh/York- also I'd be rooting for Scholars to get up and we'd have a couple of humdingers each year.....,.........actually as I'm writing this I have changed my mind and think we should not give up and stay in Super league......let's sign Gelling et al.......I am fickle 

Anyone know how many at ET tonight? I had a work thing and couldn't go

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I for one am enjoying it for now and will see. However worst case scenario the Championship has loads of good games for us next year- assuming Wolfpack go up I'd  really look forward to the match ups against Toulouse/Widnes/Bulls/Leigh/York- also I'd be rooting for Scholars to get up and we'd have a couple of humdingers each year.....,.........actually as I'm writing this I have changed my mind and think we should not give up and stay in Super league......let's sign Gelling et al.......I am fickle 

Anyone know how many at ET tonight? I had a work thing and couldn't go

The crowd actually looked pretty decent given this was seen as a tough sell of a game. Must have been over 1000 in there if not 1200. 

11 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I for one am enjoying it for now and will see. However worst case scenario the Championship has loads of good games for us next year- assuming Wolfpack go up I'd  really look forward to the match ups against Toulouse/Widnes/Bulls/Leigh/York- also I'd be rooting for Scholars to get up and we'd have a couple of humdingers each year..

The Championship is looking increasingly hot and watchable, some reports have said attendances in the championship up 52% compared to same period last year. There's lots of good sport to be had. 🐎🐎

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

The crowd actually looked pretty decent given this was seen as a tough sell of a game. Must have been over 1000 in there if not 1200. 

I'm sorry but how can you consider 1200 a decent crowd at a Super League match ???? There will be approx 20 times that many at Wigan tomorrow and I bet even the lowest Championship attendance tomorrow beats it !!!!

2 minutes ago, Bring back GB said:

I'm sorry but how can you consider 1200 a decent crowd at a Super League match ???? There will be approx 20 times that many at Wigan tomorrow and I bet even the lowest Championship attendance tomorrow beats it !!!!

It’s a surreal mix of bizarre yet brilliant tragedy.

The Broncos pulled off a miracle going up but it seems very few Londoners want to see top players like Greg Bird, Sam Kasiano, Kenny Edwards, Samkins et al playing on a glorified training ground in a corner of London on a Thursday night.

16 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

It’s a surreal mix of bizarre yet brilliant tragedy.

The Broncos pulled off a miracle going up but it seems very few Londoners want to see top players like Greg Bird, Sam Kasiano, Kenny Edwards, Samkins et al playing on a glorified training ground in a corner of London on a Thursday night.

Very few Londoners know Rugby League exists in London. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bring back GB said:

It would be like getting 1200 people in Kazakhstan to watch Test Cricket ! That would be an achievement.

How many people in Wigan watch Rugby Union? Not many I think. In London and the surrounding area of influence, you have Premiership Clubs Saracens and Harlequins, not far up the train line you have Northampton Saints and the Wasps at Coventry. Then there are Championship sides like Ealing Trailfinders , London Irish and Bedford Blues.

4 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Very few Londoners know Rugby League exists in London. 

Very few people south of Sheffield really know what Rugby League is !

20 minutes ago, Hemel Stag said:

It would be like getting 1200 people in Kazakhstan to watch Test Cricket ! That would be an achievement.

How many people in Wigan watch Rugby Union? Not many I think. In London and the surrounding area of influence, you have Premiership Clubs Saracens and Harlequins, not far up the train line you have Northampton Saints and the Wasps at Coventry. Then there are Championship sides like Ealing Trailfinders , London Irish and Bedford Blues.

London used to get decent crowds though, right?

It’s a club on life support, kept alive by an aging benefactor. Lord knows what will happen when David Hughes sells up.

Always good to read London getting bagged on weekly when the players and the crowds in the homelands are largely rubbish.

I see a heartland club had to get a London product back out of sevens this week to stroll back into the sport and bag a brace on the wing.

With it's a academy and production line, London is nowhere near the sport's main issue. 

As you were. 

Edited by Leonard
  • Like 2

The game itself appears to being glossed over. 29mins 8-0 Dragons having already taken a penalty as the game was that tight. Cats their usual grubby self and Mr Grant penalising Broncos at will  

Cue Broncos in attack and Abdul our only creative player left prone on the ground after kicking the ball. Pursuant melee resulted in 2 yellows and still Abdul down for a further 10 mins straight to ambulance. 

Decent outcome for Cats. Broncos rattled, no playmaker, no organisation, limited experience, no diff in playing numbers  

I hope if the incident is reviewed Mr Grant isn’t found lacking in cahoonas. 

• Like 3

Was there yesterday and took the opportunity to sit in the new stand behind the sticks which from a distance looks like a subbuteo soccer stand from the 1970's. At the preseason event we were promised this would hold toilets and a club shop so if there is a penalty clause, I would like to think its being invoked.

Decent crowd actually more than I thought we would get, including Jermaine Coleman, his son and the Skolars First grade also sitting in the stand. I took the opportunity because a bit like the big stand at Motherwell it seems to be for away fans.every other game and I thought it might change their luck.

Onto the game, I think the first 35 mins of the game could be summed up as Catalans making errors and London not capitalising and London making errors and Catalans taking adavantage. It was tight until Jordan Abdul was injured. I could not see it clearly from the new stand all I know is that he left in a neck brace in the ambulance. Then a specualative high bomb from Catalans was allwed to bounce back into Catalan hands for the killer try leaving them 14-0 up at the half. It's basic Rugby in both codes to never let a Rugby ball bounce....

Second half without Abdul's kicking game London disintegrated giving away posession and conceding repeat tries, 4 in a 20 minute spell to go 36-0 down. When London go behind in the game they become more frantic. For example, concede a try, short kick, off regain possession, out on the flanks , second tackle, back of the hand pass into touch on the short side. Fans were leaving 20 minutes into the second half and to be honest Catalans had gone into "lets get this game over with mode" for the last 20 minutes as well.

You cannot fault a Danny Ward side for a lack of effort or commitment but you can fault them for a lack of guile and speed without Kieran Dixon. London go from side to side but do not have the pace to flank a sliding defence. Noone appears to be trying to go straight and break the line. Defensively it may seem strange to post this, but they did cope with Catalans forward pack in a way they had not against Huddersfield. The Catalans tries coming from open play after London conceded possession

Superleague needs a London club, but not an underfunded club existing under a preservation order. The basic problem in London is a lack of money because a competitive London side would eventully crack the attendance problem and would not be a relegation certainty. It needs new ownership, and if Gavin Willacy is right and there are others in the wings then its time for them to step forward.

• Like 5

?

The dominant ideas in society are always and everywhere the ideas of the ruling class. And always and everywhere they portray us as stupid, untrustworthy with bad motives. Show us respect sir. We gave you everything progressive there is. We gave you democracy. We demand some too.

Eddie Demsey RMT

There were 17.4m people who voted to leave the European Union.

"Any attempt to try to cast their vote aside, as if they didn’t mean it or didn’t understand the consequences, whereas everybody else did, is a bit of a slur on the individuals who took the time to vote, many of them for the first time

Ian Lavery - Labour party chair  - 29th March 2019

Great summary. I was near the Moa tackle, but couldn't tell how late it was.

However, 10 mins of treatment and a neck brace suggests it was unlikely to be below the shoulders.

The afters certainly carried into the dugout.

Not one to moan about refs, but he was poor and the yellow was bottling the call. 

Either it's a good tackle or a straight red. There can't be an in between. 

Ogden was poor and also cost the game. The 2nd and 3rd tries off his inability to catch the bomb. Basic stuff for a winger. 

Agree on need for fresh money. But hey ho, it's bstill good fun and will continue to be so even in a championship shorn of Toronto and where promotion is a real shout. 

The size difference was remarkable, and that was before Kasiano entered the field. Every set Catalans made big metres, just wearing the Broncos down. The Broncos always go wide because they simply don't have the size to go down the middle. The result seemed inevitable, even in the first half when both teams had chances, London need every single player to be playing at the top of his game to stand a chance against even the weakest SL teams. If Hughes wants anything other than relegation then he needs to add some size to this team.

As to the incident on Abdull - it was right in front of me, I had a perfect view of it. The hit from Moa was late, it was deliberately aimed at the head, and it was against a defenceless man. A cowardly attack. What's worse is that the ref wasn't going to do anything about it at all, he only got involved because Pelissier went after Moa and he was forced to stop the game. None of the touchies did anything, as usual, they seem to exist simply to run up and down the wing. And when the ref was forced to get involved he bottled it, giving a yellow card each way. Even then Bird and Tomkins were in his ear.

Moa needs to be banned, but that doesn't help London who really missed Abdull last night and will probably continue to for a few weeks yet.

• Like 3

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

2 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Great summary. I was near the Moa tackle, but couldn't tell how late it was.

However, 10 mins of treatment and a neck brace suggests it was unlikely to be below the shoulders.

The afters certainly carried into the dugout.

Not one to moan about refs, but he was poor and the yellow was bottling the call. 

Either it's a good tackle or a straight red. There can't be an in between. 

Ogden was poor and also cost the game. The 2nd and 3rd tries off his inability to catch the bomb. Basic stuff for a winger. 

Agree on need for fresh money. But hey ho, it's bstill good fun and will continue to be so even in a championship shorn of Toronto and where promotion is a real shout. 

Haven't seen the Moa tackle but neck brace doesn't necessarily equal high shot. If Abdul isn't expecting the hit it could be whiplash or similar, rather than contact with the head. Fingers crossed he is ok though.

It's a worrying result for London. I think they really a win last night. To get beaten so comfortably is a problem. Their odds of staying up just got a lot longer imo.

Am I going mad? I saw Samkins drop a late goal, the ref signal that goal and the scoreboard show 39-6 Catalans at FT. 

Why is the result being reported as 38-6?

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Am I going mad? I saw Samkins drop a late goal, the ref signal that goal and the scoreboard show 39-6 Catalans at FT. 

Why is the result being reported as 38-6?

My results pages say 39-6 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nadera78 said:

Terrible decision then.

That aside, Broncos aren't good enough. That's not good or bad, it's just a thing people need to accept and get on with.

They have gone down the path of a low salary and short term deals, so they should hopefully avoid the money issues at Leigh and Widnes. 

Also, they have saleable assets in players like Walker and Cunningham.

Not sure what the weekly carping about them getting relegated is supposed to achieve. It seems more non-broncos fans are bothered than broncos fans.

At least next season everyone can moan about Toronto sending down a 'core' heartland side. 

Why was this game on a Thurdsay night on Easter weekend with great weather? Its financial suicide.

I still didnt expect London to have 3 wins at this stage, so there is still every chance if staying up.   Perhaps the warmer weather will suit their style

12 hours ago, Bring back GB said:

If it was 1200, that is pathetic, Londoners won't watch RL.

7 minutes ago, Lobbygobbler said:

Why was this game on a Thurdsay night on Easter weekend with great weather? Its financial suicide.

I still didnt expect London to have 3 wins at this stage, so there is still every chance if staying up.   Perhaps the warmer weather will suit their style

It was a Thursday night the last few years Broncos were in Super League. I presume it was a joint decision from both clubs. 

It’s financial suicide not to market the game or advertise it. Catalans is usually one of the poorest attended games in a calendar, so to not do anything for it, is awful. 

7 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

If it was 1200, that is pathetic, Londoners won't watch RL.

It’s really not pathetic. 

Given the Broncos do little to no marketing or advertising, the choice of day and kick-off time, the profile of the game in London, the fact that two London based clubs were playing a European Football Quarter Final, tickets were full price (£23) and Broncos’ attendances this year, a 1,200 crowd would be a success. 

• Like 1