Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Phantom Horseman

Match Thread: Featherstone Rovers v York, Good Friday April 19th 2019

It's a quick turnaround following the Bradford CC game, a contest which would have seen Fev fans delighted by the first 65 minutes and totally dismayed by the last 15.

I'm taking a positive view that the first 65 minutes was more representative of where we are than the last 15 (though others may not feel so charitable). The closest comparable game I've seen to the Bradford one was when we made an even more amazing comeback to beat Batley in the Shield a few years ago (4 tries in the last 8 minutes) having been totally outplayed beforehand. The week after that game we got hammered at home by Dewsbury whilst Batley scored 50, so let's hope that again the late comeback isn't a good gauge of the team's merits.

Seems unlikely we will get many of our "regular" DR options, especially with Briscoe in a boot, though maybe the likes of Sutcliffe and Broadbent will be made available to us again.

Obviously how Chisholm fits into our plans will be fascinating. Perhaps Holmes isn't ready yet, we'll know shortly when the squad is announced later today.

Bussey was great at half back last week but I'd still play him as well as two half backs, just give him license to play a combined role which is pretty much what he did last week.

Some of the combination plays involving the forwards last week were really good and it would be nice to see more of that this week. This really is a must-win game, York are 4 points clear of us with a game in hand but their next two games after playing us are Widnes away then Toulouse away and it's not impossible we could be above them in the table by the time we meet again at Blackpool if we win on Friday. York have a few injuries themselves but they have good squad depth and it should be a cracking game.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
  • Like 1

19-man squad has been named.

https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/carey-to-return-against-knights-pjQF2

The return of Conor Carey is very welcome , especially with no Golding, Briscoe or Newman. Richardson and Broadbent make way from the 19-man squad that was named against Bradford.

Possible line-up could be something like:
Render
Hardcastle
Walters
Sutcliffe
Carey
Chisholm
Boas
Cooper
King
Bussey
Davies
Day
Lockwood
subs
Harrison
Wheeldon
Makatoa
Ormondroyd

What a difference a week makes. Quality performance across the field. Great having a leader again. Bring on Toronto this performance must give us a whole load of confidence.

As quoted above I hope JD injury is not too bad.

After 10 minutes I knew we would win due to us being totally switched on .We look like a top five Team and the Walters try when we had a five to two over lap which happened twice in the game looked like a training ground special and I hope we use it again.

The atmosphere from beginning to end in the ground was top notch. We needed a kicker to keep the attacking side back peddling all the time. Our goal line defence has been weak all season and those in field kicks kept the York attack at bay for the majority of the game. 

Great game.  Great performance from everyone.  Just the goal line defence again.  The one time they got close we let one in.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Good atmosphere in family stand at back, got behind to team all match. 

Congratulations, Fev were outstanding tonight. Chisholm pulled the strings, and York just couldn't cope. Lots of good performances in the Rovers, but very impressed with Render. He has a bright future in the game.

What was the attendance?

Edited by HaxbyKnight

This was an absolute must-win game for us but the result never looked in doubt at any stage. Not everything Chisholm tried came off but he did add that x factor and played a major role in 6 of our 7 tries.

York didn't offer much until the last 15 minutes but their results say they are better than that. That's 4 teams now that we have beaten easily at P.O. Road which makes the Dewsbury game stick out like a sore thumb.

We did let one soft try in tonight but the key was we didn't let York anywhere near our line for most of the game. Bradford' s first 10 visits in our 20 last week only yielded 1 try but we paid in the closing stages.

A much tougher task awaits on Monday but at least we are playing quite well at the moment.

Glad to say i was right in predicting a Rovers win and an expansive game.Chisholm made my estimation of a decent Championship half back look understated so substitute Good for decent.Render as Haxby  Knight stated looks a very good prospect at full back.Faultless under some tricky high balls and always willing to take his turn running the ball out of defence.If he can time his run into the attacking line he has a bright future in front of him.Always thought our forwards could gain the upper hand and they laid the foundations.I liked the way Chisholm celebrated his first try for Rovers it proves we have a good team spirit and players from any club seem to enjoy the experienceof playing for Rovers.Chisholm probably overcooked the long cut out pass in the last 15 min so i hope our coach can devlop a short pass and grubber to our winger in future when defences are expecting the long one.We have a chance against Toronto on Monday as an ex Bookie i would price them at 2/7 Toronto and 3/1 Rovers or Rovers +12 to 14 on the handicap.In todays game i thought Tim Spears gave 100% as always and Yorks scrumhalf played well.             

Edited by sentoffagain2
#### NOT SCRUM put it down to the wine
  • Like 2

I think we will beat Toronto, they didn’t have an easy time yesterday and will still be feeling the effects, if we carry the momentum from last night then we can beat anyone in our league. Top 5 here we come.

Listening to the two press conferences of the two coaches and I think Ford and Carr were absolutely spot on regarding completion rates and not giving cheap yardage via penalties being a big difference for us yesterday. If you let a team into your 20m area 13 or 14 times, as we did at Bradford, eventually your goal-line defence is going to give way. It sounds boring when coaches bang on about completion rates and field position but those are often the two biggest factors in tight games.

We see a 30-40m break as being a huge play but actually a penalty is far bigger as not only will it gain you roughly that amount of yardage but also a new set of 6 tackles. Most teams in this league struggle to score from long distances so the key to keeping the opposition score down is to try and make sure all their sets start deep in their own half.

Yesterday we were very good in terms of not dropping the ball, and not conceding silly penalties (at least until late in the game when the contest was over). Some of that is down to being dominant up front - you give away more penalties when you are losing the collisions - but we were more disciplined as well.

Best performance of the season by far. Chisholm was outstanding. Not only do we have someone who can pull the strings, but we finally have a kicker! It was pleasing to see him and Bussey organising things on the pitch. Lots of creativity on display, which we've been missing this season. Some of our tries were superb, and for the majority of the match had York on the back foot and were able to dictate the game and play how we wanted to.  

Render had another flawless game. I hope he stays beyond the end of the season as he could be a long-term successor to Hardman at fullback. 

It looks like Watson's opportunities will be limited barring injuries, but I hope he sticks the season out over here as he has a lot to offer. 

York were poor yesterday but will do well in the Championship. Special mention to Tim Spears for applauding the home fans at the end. A touch of class. 

Lovely to see so many Knights fans make the trip over. The atmosphere was great and I hope they enjoyed their visit despite the scoreline! Good luck with the rest of the season. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Well played rovers , you're dead right we were poor, just hope we can show our real selves in the summer bash , see you then and good luck for the rest of the season.

3 hours ago, jamescolin said:

I wonder if there is any chance of signing Chisholm on a permanent basis. In my opinion he was first class in the York game.

Hopefully something will happen at end of season - he is on a season long loan and out of contract at end of season so no point paying any signing on fees etc now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elppaxr2i said:

'opefully something will happen at end of season - he is on a season long loan and out of contract at end of season so no point paying any signing on fees etc now

A good point. He seems to be already a Featherstone full time player after only one match. I sincerely hope we keep him, he made the difference. Hardcastle's finishing was another high point.

A few other random thoughts following the game...

For all his supposed baggage, Bussey is a really smart player and understands what is happening on the field. When we were awarded a penalty in the second half about a yard from their line and a yard in from touch, a couple of players were about to take the tap when he rushed over and grabbed the ball and kicked in a couple of yards backwards into touch, so that we started the ensuing set 10 yards in rather than in a pocket near the corner. Then he was the first to turn to the coaching staff signalling we should go for goal when we were awarded that last penalty 40 yards out, realising that it was the percentage play with the hooter about to blow. It was noticeable that the coaching staff were using him to convey instructions to the others, too. Really hope he can steer clear of disciplinary issues as he presents defences with plenty to think about and that can continue whether he's officially half back or prop.

Conor Carey is going to turn out to be a very useful player if he stays fit. He doesn't do anything spectacular, but everything he does he seems to do very well and is handy bringing the ball out from acting half despite his relatively small size.

I've warmed a fair bit to Josh Walters this year. He seemed to be a player who got a fair bit of stick from fans when he was on DR but he seems to love playing for us and has bags of enthusiasm, and has done a very competent job filling in at centre, which isn't his natural position.

As others have said Render has been a huge bonus since switching to full back. I think he said he had hardly played the position before, you wouldn't have guessed, and he has been impeccable under the high ball. Think he's only 19 (or maybe just turned 20) so he's very promising and at the moment is in the team on merit.

Alex Sutcliffe hasn't let us down at all when he has played for us and although he is on a long contract at Leeds I wonder if he's one who might be allowed to come to us full time in the future. I don't think he's anywhere near the Leeds 1st team at present or in the near future barring a rash of injuries and with Watkins, Hurrell, Newman and then Broadbent coming through I wonder if his future lies with us. People knock the DR arrangement and I get that, but we have already acquired Walters, Whylie, Darley and Hartley on permanent contracts, reacquired Ormondroyd, and also signed Brett Delaney although injury put paid to that signing.

It will be interesting to see how Watson Boas is used from now on. I feel a bit sorry for him as he has tried really hard and has had some very good moments for us. I did think he might get a spell replacing King at 9 in the 2nd half v York but Carr was probably very wary about taking anyone off after what happened at Bradford. Boas played very well at 9 for PNG v England Knights last year.

Agree with most of the above post,a good summing up.I know that i am repeating myself but it is appreciated by supporters that players who come into our team seem to enjoy playing for Rovers.Rugby League players don't recieve the wages they deserve so it helps if they enjoy their time with us in our character building sport.