Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Copa

World Cup 9s teams announced

5 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

Some massive speculation and wild facts in this thread. First off the Auckland Nines was very profitable for the NRL, Duco Events undertook all the risk and the NRL received a nice pay cheque each year.

For Duco, only the last year made a loss in the Financial reports they put out.

The NRL, when Greenberg got involved, decided that all NRL events should be run by NRL staff members and not outsourced. Hence why it didn't return after the gap year but already the NRL is asking clubs and fans about it for 2020.

Secondly for the RLWC, Sydney got it because the NSW Government was splashing cash for 10 World Cups in 10 years (they have also said they want to bid for RLWC2028). The NSW Government didn't bid for any of the Men's matches in 2017 and the 2017 RLWC was run by a completely separate entity and team than the NRL. Part of the reason it didn't do as well financially was the lack of experience in selling tickets.

Anyway great to see the teams announced. On a positive, each of the 12 named all have domestic competitions, so they are all legitimate teams. 

Would have preferred to have seen Jamaica or Serbia versus Cook Islands, but anyway it is what it is.

This 12-team format is designed to maximise government sponsorship and TV revenue yields. More teams wasn't going to equate to more money from the NSW Government and as for Fox, they just wanted Friday Night and the Saturday Day timeslots.

That's the stupidity of it though, what's the value of it to fox this year compared to its value to fox, sky, BeIn this year and next year and years after and year after that?

5 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

Some massive speculation and wild facts in this thread. First off the Auckland Nines was very profitable for the NRL, Duco Events undertook all the risk and the NRL received a nice pay cheque each year.

For Duco, only the last year made a loss in the Financial reports they put out.

The NRL, when Greenberg got involved, decided that all NRL events should be run by NRL staff members and not outsourced. Hence why it didn't return after the gap year but already the NRL is asking clubs and fans about it for 2020.

Secondly for the RLWC, Sydney got it because the NSW Government was splashing cash for 10 World Cups in 10 years (they have also said they want to bid for RLWC2028). The NSW Government didn't bid for any of the Men's matches in 2017 and the 2017 RLWC was run by a completely separate entity and team than the NRL. Part of the reason it didn't do as well financially was the lack of experience in selling tickets.

Anyway great to see the teams announced. On a positive, each of the 12 named all have domestic competitions, so they are all legitimate teams. 

Would have preferred to have seen Jamaica or Serbia versus Cook Islands, but anyway it is what it is.

This 12-team format is designed to maximise government sponsorship and TV revenue yields. More teams wasn't going to equate to more money from the NSW Government and as for Fox, they just wanted Friday Night and the Saturday Day timeslots.

How do you explain it being an RLIF property but being put on by the NRL?

new rise.jpg

I love you clowns criticising a professional sporting body for only wanting to do things that make money. None of your gripes even make sense. Your notion of fandom is so warped you can't just enjoy this for what it is - a nice showcase for international rugby league in a great stadium, which will hopefully make some money, provide some competitive, high quality footy, and turn more Australian fans onto international footy. If it succeeds, it will grow. Simple!

Now, who was that bloke convinced those diabolical Aussies were going to fill this tournament with aboriginal and Maori teams, and there was no way England and Wales would play separately when they could go the cheap GB option... looking forward to his next ridiculous theory now that one's been blown out of the water.

• Like 4

Am I allowed to be excited for this? When you are fed crumbs you take what's on offer.

I am sick of the gaps between international games.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

I love you clowns criticising a professional sporting body for only wanting to do things that make money. None of your gripes even make sense. Your notion of fandom is so warped you can't just enjoy this for what it is - a nice showcase for international rugby league in a great stadium, which will hopefully make some money, provide some competitive, high quality footy, and turn more Australian fans onto international footy. If it succeeds, it will grow. Simple!

I'm not sure how many years you've spent helping develop rugby league with no help from the RLIF only to be shat on by them over and over. Having to put up with their lack of vision and general inability to run a governing body. But it's grating.

You think that maybe they're doing grand things with the higher level of the international game, that's why they don't help out with your lowly projects.

Then you see this missed opportunity of a tournament.

• Like 1

new rise.jpg

8 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Am I allowed to be excited for this? When you are fed crumbs you take what's on offer.

It should be a fun couple of days. It really won't be any more than that. But that's enough. Let's just enjoy it.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

18 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

Now, who was that bloke convinced those diabolical Aussies were going to fill this tournament with aboriginal and Maori teams, and there was no way England and Wales would play separately when they could go the cheap GB option... looking forward to his next ridiculous theory now that one's been blown out of the water.

Australia isn't big enough to sustain it or fulfil its potential. Turning Australia on to international RL isn't really the issue. Getting the NRL to understand the value of the UK and france and the US and Canada is the issue 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I was hugely excited by it. Not going to be able to see much of it sadly

2 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I was hugely excited by it. Not going to be able to see much of it sadly

Me too. My only gripe is WTF is Nigel Wood? Honestly, it is the only RLIF competition outside of the World Cup and it is announced by the NRL. If it is played in England in 4 years time will the NRL announce that too?

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

Me too. My only gripe is WTF is Nigel Wood? Honestly, it is the only RLIF competition outside of the World Cup and it is announced by the NRL. If it is played in England in 4 years time will the NRL announce that too?

Im not particularly upset with the NRL organising it. The RFL are pretty much organising the World Cup.

Its just ridiculous that we have created an 9s world cup with no thought whatsoever to what comes next. Like it will prove its value in year one. There should be no expectation that that this year makes a penny. If it ends up losing less than a couple of million we should be happy. It should be a 5-10 year plan of 9s comps every year with no expectation that we would break even before years 4,5 6.

If it is played in England in 4 years time will anyone remember it exists?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Im not particularly upset with the NRL organising it. The RFL are pretty much organising the World Cup.

Its just ridiculous that we have created an 9s world cup with no thought whatsoever to what comes next. Like it will prove its value in year one. There should be no expectation that that this year makes a penny. If it ends up losing less than a couple of million we should be happy. It should be a 5-10 year plan of 9s comps every year with no expectation that we would break even before years 4,5 6.

If it is played in England in 4 years time will anyone remember it exists?

I don't think this is going far from the East Coast of Australia any time soon. As I said, I am really looking forward to it.

54 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Seems like more of a powerplay by NRL given recent developments v RLIF. I agree it should be RLIF announced and run, but if NRL can get you on TV, sponsors etc I guess that works. NRL is recognisable, nobody has heard of RLIF!

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/arrogant-aussies-arlc-s-apathy-towards-rlif-shake-up-raises-questions-20190414-p51e0q.html

They announced it on Fox, who presumably get the rights as a sop for axing the Auckland 9s.

15 hours ago, Pulga said:

How do you explain it being an RLIF property but being put on by the NRL?

The same way the actual world cup is a RLIF event..but organized by the RFL or ARLC/NRL depending on who hosts...on behalf of the RLIF..

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

The 9s are an RLIF product, and the RLIF will benefit from it. The NRL is putting the first one together. There is a closer working relationship between the RFL, the NRL and RLIF to everyone’s mutual benefit. Greenberg and the NRL have to balance a lot of stakeholders, and are currently doing so in a way which is leading to significant steps forward for the game internationally. I agree with pretty much all of what Yakstorm says, and believe this is as good as we can hope for at this stage. The Confederations cup idea (which I much prefer) remains a runner. 

The SMH article was really good, save only that it over states the significance of ARLC not voting on a resolution which had been passed more quickly than their own internal deadlines could meet. 

• Like 1

On 22/04/2019 at 21:36, Pulga said:

Deleted...ooopppss

Edited by roughyedspud

OLDHAM RLFC

10 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Does anyone know what format this comp is taking? 4 Groups of 3? 

Yep..

• Thanks 1

OLDHAM RLFC

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/06/magic-a-nines-circuit-and-repaying-taumalolo-new-events-growing-the-game/

What a depressing interview this is. Confirmation that the 9s is nothing more than an attempt to avoid the secondary international competition so desperately needed.

Who is ever going to care about a format only played every 4 years. Its so dumb and lazy and typical. 

The fact is we could, and should have 9's far more often. It doesn't need to be the same players playing for the top tier nations first teams. It just needs to be a regular, and competitive. There are a huge number of players who aren't first choice internationals who would play 9's and it would be still the same spectacle but again we are willing to do nothing to invest and grow a concept. We just half ###### it and expect to hit the jackpot year one. 

If you wanted to prove 9s a failure this is exactly how you would do it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Another pointless event that has no real aim or benefits, especially for the future. Is this going to be a regular event? Wheres the next one?

No money will go to properly develop the game anywhere. Plenty of Talk, but at the end of the day, Hot air. Seen it often by the RLIF and those involved like Wood.

Wouldnt Trust Greenberg anymore than big Nige. Has achieved next to nothing at the NRL. He has enough problems at the NRL nevermind the 9s.

• Like 2

Watched a 9's tournament at Blackpool years ago. Underwhelmed .

But willing to have another look if it ever comes to this country. Is there an international calendar?

• Like 1

Interestingly, the RLIF sent out a survey to what I'm assuming is all nations asking their opinion on a 9s circuit at the same time this latest article went public. My colleague received it and filled it out for El Salvador. I don't know what the questions were unfortunately.

new rise.jpg

8 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

Why 4 years? It could easily be yearly or even biannually if they're that hard up for cash. 

It needs to ge 3 or 4 times a year minimum. How are you going to build any sort of momentum for a competition that only happens every 4 years? People will have no affiliation with the format. They will forget it exists. 

They could do a world club 9s tournament, SL vs NRL. But I do like the idea of an international 9s circuit if there’s funding for such a thing. It would be popular in Fiji I’m sure, and they would probably become good at it quickly.

Let's see some teams then...

My England team..

1. Tommy makinson
2. J-mac
3. Elliot Whitehead
4. Reece lyne
5. Herbie farnworth, the kid at brisbane
6. George williams
7. Harry Smith,the England academy 7
8. Liam watts
9. Josh Hodgson
13. Ryan hall