Normalising Obesity

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Maybe customer pressure, maybe not  but all this is from the McDonalds web site. Might give the brown sauce a miss, though.

Bacon Roll with Brown Sauce 

Roll: Allergen Ingredient: WHEAT Flour, Water, Yeast, Rapeseed Oil, Dextrose, Sugar, Salt, Preservative (Calcium Propionate), Thickener (Carboxymethyl Cellulose), Allergen Ingredient: Malted WHEAT Flour, Allergen Ingredient: WHEAT Fibre, Flour Treatment Agent (Ascorbic Acid).

Potential Allergen Ingredient: N.B. May contain traces of sesame seeds, milk, barley and rye.

Back Bacon*: Pork, Salt, Preservatives (Sodium Nitrite), Antioxidant (Sodium Ascorbate).

*This bacon is smoked using beechwood.

Brown Sauce: Water, Sugar, Spirit Vinegar, Malt Vinegar (from Allergen Ingredient: BARLEY), Dates, Tomato Paste, Cane Molasses, Allergen Ingredient: RYE Flour, Modified Maize Starch, Salt, Invert Sugar Syrup, Natural Flavourings, Soy Sauce (Water, Allergen Ingredient: SOYA Extract (Water, Allergen Ingredient: SOYA Beans, Salt, Allergen Ingredient: WHEAT Flour (with Calcium, Iron, Niacin (Vitamin B3), Thiamin (Vitamin B1))), Salt, Glucose, Spirit Vinegar, Allergen Ingredient: BARLEY Malt Extract), Spices, Allergen Ingredient: BARLEY Malt Extract, Preservative (Potassium Sorbate).

Nutritional Information Per Portion% RI (Adult)

Energy (kcal)kcal 323, 16% RI*

Fat (g)grams 8.4, 12% RI of which saturated (g)grams 2.7, 14% RI

Carbohydrate (g)grams 44, 17% RI, of which sugars (g)grams7.0, 8% RI

Salt (g)grams 2.0, 33% RI

Due to supply issues, for a short time we are temporarily unable to guarantee that all of our streaky bacon is made from British RSPCA Assured pork. Our back bacon and sausage patties are unaffected. We are working to resolve this as quickly as possible and we remain committed to high welfare standards and pork sourced from British, RSPCA Assured scheme farms.

https://www.mcdonalds.com/gb/en-gb/good-to-know/nutrition-calculator.html

Don't s lag off potassium sorbate....it's my favourite

It’s the same in Australia.

We can buy a takeaway pizza from Dominos for just over £2. That’s not for a slice, that’s the price for an entire pizza!! The very small Dominos near my home sells over 5000 pizzas per week.

At the nearby Costco a very large hot dog with unlimited drink refills is around £1.

Parents just shovel this garbage into their kids. It’s very sad to see kids get fatter and fatter as times goes by.

My partner’s nieces and nephew in England don’t drink plain water, it has to be flavoured. They are all obese. 

Just starting with getting soft drinks, juices and cordials out of the house is a great first step. It’s easy to make drinking water normal as it does not require exercise, money or any effort at all but it will have a great impact on your health.

What a shameful thread. Just a shower of nasty, curtain-twitching Sarah Vines talking about how they remember things 30 years ago and treating us to sermons on the poor folk down their road.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

6 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Don't s lag off potassium sorbate....it's my favourite

While Jamie Oliver isn't my favourite person I do remember a program once where he said, if you don't know what something is why are you eating it? While this is a good point I also can't help thinking that should you follow this rule then there is not a whole lot of things on the supermarket shelf you will be able to eat. 

10 hours ago, Private Baldrick said:

Lazy parenting leads to obese kids.

And I was point blank told that nobody was saying this.

Fatness is a punishment on the lazy and morally weak, apparently.

*also notes who liked the post*

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

While Jamie Oliver isn't my favourite person I do remember a program once where he said, if you don't know what something is why are you eating it? While this is a good point I also can't help thinking that should you follow this rule then there is not a whole lot of things on the supermarket shelf you will be able to eat. 

But there’s a lot in the fruit and veg section.

12 hours ago, Private Baldrick said:

Not true.

It's more convenient and it is far cheaper to cook healthy meals at home than live off takeaways.

Lazy parenting leads to obese kids.

When I was a dirt poor student I couldn’t afford the rubbish food. I bought large bags of dried legumes from Pacific Islander supermarkets (I suspect you don’t have these in the uk!). They had quite a range and it kept me fed very well at an extremely small cost when I included rice, potatoes and the lowest priced vegetables.

I appreciate that most people would find preparing dried legumes for consumption very different to any diet they are comfortable with. 

It’s a combination of local food culture and  exposure to advertising. It gets in one’s head and the local diet becomes the new normal. Everyone does it so it becomes hard to change.

While not food related, my partner worked in drug and alcohol in Newcastle (uk) and she said in whole parts of the city alcoholism was normal, so much so that people were unable to identify their own issues because they didn’t stand out from the (alcoholic) pack. It’s probably similar with diet in many places too... there’s an unhealthy normal and good people, who try to be good parents, struggle to find solutions.

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

And I was point blank told that nobody was saying this.

Fatness is a punishment on the lazy and morally weak, apparently.

*also notes who liked the post*

Actually no one did say that when you posted that and its a little disingenuous to wait for 2 more pages and take one line of a post in isolation and out of context to then try and justify your argument. I have still yet to see anyone use the word thick on this thread, apart from you. For clarity this is what you said:

16 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Incidentally, despite being thoroughly fed up of the 'it's all the fault of lazy, thick people' on this thread, I agree with all of this.

I think most on here recognise there are a multitude of reasons and it certainly is not a one size fits all. Different reasons apply to different people. Lazy parenting is just one of many and I would certainly include myself in that bracket when it comes to diet. A 2 hour commute and often 30 mins before taking the kids to the next training, class or activity largely means a quick, easy, convenient meal, which the children actually like is, the order of the day. All too often that is preferable to a nightly fight and a healthy meal they wont touch. Lazy parenting and I admit it. I do though make my children play outside, go for walks and play sports. If I let them stay inside and play on their PlayStation and Fortnite all night then there would undoubtedly be many more issues with their weight. I also know as many people who are fairly well off who have overweight children as I do poorer ones so I don't think the income argument is as clear cut as people make out. Like I said there are a multitude of reasons and for me its a little out of column A, B, C, D, E , F, G etc...

32 minutes ago, Damien said:

Actually no one did say that when you posted that and its a little disingenuous to wait for 2 more pages and take one line of a post in isolation and out of context to then try and justify your argument. I have still yet to see anyone use the word thick on this thread, apart from you. For clarity this is what you said:

I think most on here recognise there are a multitude of reasons and it certainly is not a one size fits all. Different reasons apply to different people. Lazy parenting is just one of many and I would certainly include myself in that bracket when it comes to diet. A 2 hour commute and often 30 mins before taking the kids to the next training, class or activity largely means a quick, easy, convenient meal, which the children actually like is, the order of the day. All too often that is preferable to a nightly fight and a healthy meal they wont touch. Lazy parenting and I admit it. I do though make my children play outside, go for walks and play sports. If I let them stay inside and play on their PlayStation and Fortnite all night then there would undoubtedly be many more issues with their weight. I also know as many people who are fairly well off who have overweight children as I do poorer ones so I don't think the income argument is as clear cut as people make out. Like I said there are a multitude of reasons and for me its a little out of column A, B, C, D, E , F, G etc...

I have a very itchy trigger finger for people who remove all structural issues and put everything down to individual actions. Apologies if I went too far with that.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I have a very itchy trigger finger for people who remove all structural issues and put everything down to individual actions. Apologies if I went too far with that.

I blame Maggie Thatcher.  She stole my milk.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

12 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I've had 2 root canals, one successful and one failed where I lost the ######.....at 44 I've set my nashers the goal of not a third one before 50......

I  go every six months for a clean and polish

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Of course there are "structural" issues. However, they should not preclude people taking personal responsibility. Has it been written on here anywhere that it's ALL down to personal responsibility, just as, I assume, no one has laid the blame entirely on those "structural" issues? Maybe the lazyness is that of people expecting a state solution. 

2 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Of course there are "structural" issues. However, they should not preclude people taking personal responsibility. Has it been written on here anywhere that it's ALL down to personal responsibility, just as, I assume, no one has laid the blame entirely on those "structural" issues? Maybe the lazyness is that of people expecting a state solution. 

Your opening seems so balanced but then the end is ... useless. Nobody is expecting a state solution, although creating a situation where schools sell off playing fields, where walking and cycling are unsafe, where councils cannot maintain parks nor can they afford to provide activity sessions to kids and families who wouldn't get them otherwise, and where rates are so high that sellers of loose fruit and veg are few and far between ... that's not ideal, is it?

23 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Your opening seems so balanced but then the end is ... useless. Nobody is expecting a state solution, although creating a situation where schools sell off playing fields, where walking and cycling are unsafe, where councils cannot maintain parks nor can they afford to provide activity sessions to kids and families who wouldn't get them otherwise, and where rates are so high that sellers of loose fruit and veg are few and far between ... that's not ideal, is it?

Useless? ???

Councils choose not to do these things. They can if they want. Perhaps they need proper Councillors. 

8 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Councils choose not to do these things. 

Nobody chooses anything with 47% budget cuts.

But I'll get on and tell Tory controlled East Sussex - the ones with the illegal budget, like Tory controlled Northants - and tell them that their ability to raise council tax by 3.99% will solve everything.

I'll catch up with this topic when I have more time but for what it's worth I absolutely ##### hate being obese. I hate it. It's a simple formula, except so is reading the rugby results. X scored more than Y so X won. The hours each day are like the minutes in the match.

Archived