Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Batley Bob

Batley v Leigh

1 minute ago, silverback said:

tell that to the 500 leigh fans shouting cheat  cheat  cheat in first 10 minutes fella. i would a gone for inept myself as some a decisions were baffling to say the least.he gave a knock on under sticks against us at play a ball when their player had it in his hand, all swings and roundabouts but i do wish refs would listen to the touchies more cos if not they tend to not bother chipping in after a few minutes and ref gets deeper in over his head. had love a few lady refs as am sure they wouldent get old manned as easy.   UP THE DOGGIES.

I am only looking out for folk who might unwittingly get themselves in a spot of bother for making remarks online that they can't later substantiate. Finding 500 Leigh fans to go after wouldn't be quite as easy as identifying an individual on a forum; that's all I am saying.

Whilst it sounds like the ref had a pig of a game, I cannot for one minute think that he had set out to deliberately cheat. I never understand the 'cheat, cheat, cheat' stuff myself, but if it is what folk need to shout to get rid of their uncontrollable anger, then that's obviously up to them.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, RogerT said:

I wasn't making the accusation it was the Leigh fans doing that and if I agreed with them then that's my prerogative.

Where I got miffed was his decisions certainly got weirder and I also said it's a tough job without the species getting on his back, I couldn't and wouldn't do it.

On the DVD's you can just hear the interchange between the officials.

On sunday what I liked was at half time the Leigh supporters swapped ends, not like Widnes fans that mainly stuck to the top end.

Irrespective of the result I personally thought it was a good match.

You said you agree with the chants of 'cheat, cheat, cheat'. Do you, or not? If you do, then you are making that accusation. If you don't then your post was not reflective of what you really thought. I don't want you getting in bother Roger. 

Away from your own views, I am baffled by the psyche of other fans who come to the conclusion that a referee putting their supposed/fantasy dislike of a team before their own career is in any way a tangible decision they would make. If all the fans were correct, then every referee is in on it, as we hear it from almost every losing team each week. Not only is that a bizarre stance in itself, at least one poster on this thread infers the referee was doing the same  in favour of Batley (although I would tend to say 'equally inept', rather than raging 'cheater!') at points of the game.

Edited by Northern Eel
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the advice, taken on board and no more will ever be said about officiating, my trap is now shut firmly.

I didn’t think Leigh were dirty at all.

I did think the ref gave some awful decisions.

I thought batley made more mistakes than you can afford to beat a team with better players than you.

I thought  Leigh really tightened us their discipline after the first 20 minutes and were too good for us in the end.

Edited by Lone Drinker
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

You said you agree with the chants of 'cheat, cheat, cheat'. Do you, or not? If you do, then you are making that accusation. If you don't then your post was not reflective of what you really thought. I don't want you getting in bother Roger. 

Away from your own views, I am baffled by the psyche of other fans who come to the conclusion that a referee putting their supposed/fantasy dislike of a team before their own career is in any way a tangible decision they would make. If all the fans were correct, then every referee is in on it, as we hear it from almost every losing team each week. Not only is that a bizarre stance in itself, at least one poster on this thread infers the referee was doing the same  in favour of Batley (although I would tend to say 'equally inept', rather than raging 'cheater!') at points of the game.

It’s obvious.

Batley fans are fair-minded and objective. Leigh fans are enraged simpletons who can’t see beyond their money-fuelled recent past and unusual approach to signing players when they have no funds.

All that aside Leigh first ten minutes set out to lie on and slow down and the ref penalised them. After that he had a brain fart and went random.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dogstew said:

It’s obvious.

Batley fans are fair-minded and objective. Leigh fans are enraged simpletons who can’t see beyond their money-fuelled recent past and unusual approach to signing players when they have no funds.

All that aside Leigh first ten minutes set out to lie on and slow down and the ref penalised them. After that he had a brain fart and went random.

That's my bug with refs. Two of Leigh's only four penalties, were for Batley players incorrectly playing the ball. You can't get more random than that - the ball is hardly ever played correctly!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AlanE said:

That's my bug with refs. Two of Leigh's only four penalties, were for Batley players incorrectly playing the ball. You can't get more random than that - the ball is hardly ever played correctly!

Agree. Plus added to the fact was that week the RFL issued clear changes to the way the ruck and playing the ball should be policed .ALL ignored on Sunday apart from those 2 penalties.

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

1 hour ago, colinb said:

Agree. Plus added to the fact was that week the RFL issued clear changes to the way the ruck and playing the ball should be policed .ALL ignored on Sunday apart from those 2 penalties.

Plus, if we wanted to be pedantic, there is offside at every ptb, holding down in the tackle is also rife, and the markers are hardly ever square! Still, if refs penalised every offence, the game would never get going! All we ask is that they penalise 'technical' offences evenly.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, AlanE said:

Plus, if we wanted to be pedantic, there is offside at every ptb, holding down in the tackle is also rife, and the markers are hardly ever square! Still, if refs penalised every offence, the game would never get going! All we ask is that they penalise 'technical' offences evenly.

Agree Alan. But to emphasise the ruck area the week before(RFL) and it was ignored!!!! That's even worse. 

Glad you enjoy the Mount Pleasant experience. Your comments are appreciated.

Edited by colinb

Surely if the ref pulled the players up every time the playérs would some how start getting it right

• Like 1

1950s Gallant Youth, 2000 Bulldog

It works in Australia Ernie. Play the balls are clean and ball touched by foot all the time. 2 referees?? But there's the rub. We haven't gone many decent referees for the games we have and touchies leave a lot to be desired. So not much back up there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, colinb said:

It works in Australia Ernie. Play the balls are clean and ball touched by foot all the time. 2 referees?? But there's the rub. We haven't gone many decent referees for the games we have and touchies leave a lot to be desired. So not much back up there.

Current RFL guidelines are that the players should attempt to play the ball with the foot but will not be penalised if they fail. Most other penalties are given for failing to retain their feet before attempting to other or by simply shovelling the ball between their legs. 

There should be less emphasis, and spectator criticism, on referees and more of both on players failing to get the basics right.

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Who scored our points v Leigh, forgot to enter them on my chart, thanks.

Scorers versus Leigh.

Tries,

Campbell 1

Leak 1

Taira 1

Goals, 

Scott 2.