Liverpool RLFC - Any news?

It's gone quiet, is this project still set to be launched over Magic Weekend? 

For the record I fully back a Liverpool team, the more big cities the better, especially those on the heartlands doorstep. 

What I liked was Koukash's and Backhouse's intention to own and build a new stadium for the club. This is significant because it gives the club a platform to create revenue streams on match days and also outside of match days because they will be the landlords and the masters of their own destiny. 

As the Wolfpack have done with their recent business remodelling, the potentially new club should centre itself around creating revenues outside of the club itself. This is the future of rl clubs I feel, bums on seats is not enough to make a club sustainable. I believe that was the key reason he left Salford, he couldn't get ownership of the stadium or any of the land around it to build revenues, therefore Salford could not become sustainable. 

Anyway I hope this project gains traction. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

It's gone quiet, is this project still set to be launched over Magic Weekend? 

For the record I fully back a Liverpool team, the more big cities the better, especially those on the heartlands doorstep. 

What I liked was Koukash's and Backhouse's intention to own and build a new stadium for the club. This is significant because it gives the club a platform to create revenue streams on match days and also outside of match days because they will be the landlords and the masters of their own destiny. 

As the Wolfpack have done with their recent business remodelling, the potentially new club should centre itself around creating revenues outside of the club itself. This is the future of rl clubs I feel, bums on seats is not enough to make a club sustainable. I believe that was the key reason he left Salford, he couldn't get ownership of the stadium or any of the land around it to build revenues, therefore Salford could not become sustainable. 

Anyway I hope this project gains traction. 

It was Cumbria a few months ago, then Liverpool, who knows where it will be next for Koukash? He only wants to be in the news.

In Liverpool Koukash would face the same issues which have faced all the incarnations of the Broncos in London: British outsiders' negative stereotype view  of the sport.  Absent a way to overcome that stereotype there's no more a route to success in Liverpool than in London.

Did someone sit him down and explain that whilst Salford Red Devils is a pre-existing thing and therefore Manchester United can't get worked up about a neighbour using the name, borrowing Liverpool FC's badge and branding for an entirely separate organisation might lead to a few issues?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

I wouldn't let the guy anywhere near the sport again.  And "Liverpool" is a pointless vanity project.  

Seen has he is Liverpool based I don't see the problem and it is his money and as a sport we are desperately short of it. But no lets kick koukash and tell him to shove his money were the Sun  doesn't shine. 

7 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

It’s Koukash, he’s a clown. Nothing will happen. 

Says Oliver,the man who thinks £20 is too much for a ticket,wont go because its on a fri rather than sat or the ko is 2.30pm rather than 3.00pm.Enjoy your noodles in your bed sit OC.

16 minutes ago, cookey said:

Says Oliver,the man who thinks £20 is too much for a ticket,wont go because its on a fri rather than sat or the ko is 2.30pm rather than 3.00pm.Enjoy your noodles in your bed sit OC.

1. Find where I specifically stated £20 is too much. 

2. Yes, Friday evening games are more difficult for me. I work and live in the South, so a game is 4% of my annual leave and a night in a hotel. For my own selfish reasons, I’d prefer more games to be a Saturday. Hardly a crime.

3. Find where I have mentioned that 2.30pm is a better kick-off time than 3pm. 

4. I don’t live in a bed sit. I never have. I wouldn’t judge people that do, because I don’t know the circumstances that has led them to living in a bed sit and because I’m not a snob. 

I don’t expect a reply as three of the four points are lies and you have zero evidence of and the other is just plain abuse. 

There’s a City of Liverpool FC who are planning on building a new small ground in the city, and it would make sense for a summer sport to be there as well to share costs and create a local sporting hub. Not sure if that’s what Koukash has in mind but seems the most likely scenario.

Koukash has generated plenty of coverage for our sport - a lot of noise admittedly - and sank millions of his own money in rugby league as well. He has opinions that many might disagree with but don’t forget he saved Salford and didn’t just dump them when he left, has lots of money and is a genuine fan of the sport. 

1 hour ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Seen has he is Liverpool based I don't see the problem and it is his money and as a sport we are desperately short of it. But no lets kick koukash and tell him to shove his money were the Sun  doesn't shine. 

Yes it's a really odd attitude. Some people seem to have a real issue with succesful people ploughing their own money into the the sport and expanding it. If it happens all very well and good, if it doesn't then it really is no big deal and the game has lost nothing.

18 minutes ago, Damien said:

Yes it's a really odd attitude. Some people seem to have a real issue with succesful people ploughing their own money into the the sport and expanding it. If it happens all very well and good, if it doesn't then it really is no big deal and the game has lost nothing.

Okay. Let’s judge him on his track record.

In the plus column: he didn’t let Salford die.

That’s a genuine positive.

On the negative: absolutely everything about how he ran the club, what it achieved and the massive gap between talk and reality.

Which is enough to make someone at least pause before thinking that he’ll make a success of a club that doesn’t exist beyond photoshopping rugby league onto Liverpool FC’s badges.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Okay. Let’s judge him on his track record.

In the plus column: he didn’t let Salford die.

That’s a genuine positive.

On the negative: absolutely everything about how he ran the club, what it achieved and the massive gap between talk and reality.

Which is enough to make someone at least pause before thinking that he’ll make a success of a club that doesn’t exist beyond photoshopping rugby league onto Liverpool FC’s badges.

This. 

10 hours ago, ojx said:

It was Cumbria a few months ago, then Liverpool, who knows where it will be next for Koukash? He only wants to be in the news.

I remember when it was British Bulldogs playing out of the NRL. It does seem Liverpool has more legs than his other pipe dreams but like everyone else I’ll believe it when I see it

I like Marwan, he's a character. I'd like to see him choose an area and (with all his cash) try to emulate what Bob Brown has achieved in Hemel Hempstead. That would make a real mark in the landscape of rugby league.

I heard on the grapevine, the nickname he's considering is The (Liverpool) Fairies with the tag-line.

''You'll believe 'em when you see 'em!''

People seem to forget that he is still helping out Salford, he paying for Hastings ,Salford are on very limited finances and wouldnt be able to complete anywhere near the level they do. But hey lets kick Koukash its much easier .

Please don't be offended Elbowseye, it was just a joke.  I really meant it when I said I liked him and I know he is a true rugby league nut (like me). We need more like him and I'm chuffed he's still involved at Salford behind the scenes. One of the saddest things I've ever read was him saying that he had come to wonder whether the fans were staying away, because of his involvement. I think he pulled back, to test whether that belief was true. I'd love to see him back in the game somehow.

Oh yes and I also meant it when I said, i'd like to see him emulate what Hemel Hempstead have achieved. I believe he really could promote rugby league anywhere in the country and create a really successful, self sustaining amateur club with all the attendant benefits for everyone involved in the game. Why is it that the wealthy benefactors all want to compete for the Super League trophy rather than build a legacy by developing the community game? Anyway, its up to Marwan.

22 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

People seem to forget that he is still helping out Salford, he paying for Hastings ,Salford are on very limited finances and wouldnt be able to complete anywhere near the level they do. But hey lets kick Koukash its much easier .

Let’s kick the man that didn’t like the salary cap so flouted it, which led to Salford being in the bottom four and then him celebrating their survival on Hull KR’s pitch, like some sort of hero. 

27 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

So Salford were hand to mouth when he joined, they are hand to mouth now he's left, and the bit in between didn't go well.

Archived