Total Rugby League Fans Forum

18 hours ago, Kris said:

He talks about centralising merch - the NRL and most successful leagues do this as its a no brainier - in the NRL 24% off all merch should is NZ Warriors merch - all into the common pot to dish out equally!

24%? That's almost certainly untrue.

Broncos, Bulldogs, Panthers and Rabittohs are probably all ahead of the Warriors.

An even spread would give a team less than a 7% share. Obviously they're not all even. But think of how ridiculous having a 24% share would be. 

On a seperate note, the NRL sells $215 million worth of licenced merchandise a year.

new rise.jpg

Things may have changed but a few years ago this was the split.

An NRL club gets 80% of the wholesale price of their jersey.
NRL clubs split the remaining 20% between the clubs.

Other official merchandise trade
40% to club
40% to a seperate pool allocated across all teams
20% to the NRL.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

2 hours ago, Wholly Trinity said:

Something like this:

image.png.16c5e14f06bac376fc9f6a5aa2a2ecd5.png

For me, the most important thing you've done here, and most obvious pitch-related thing that certainly all the clubs with their own grounds could do to improve TV viewing whilst also get their branding out there - is the marking of the in-goals in the way gridiron marks its end zones.

It looks good. It makes it easy to see (esp on TV) when a team is approaching the tryline as opposed to some other line. It's good for the team's branding and it's even something we used to do for big Ashes tests etc., think Jiffy's try at Wembley, with "end zones" marked with Lion logos (and i think sellable sponsor's logos too - British Coal at the time).

I also think the numbering of the lines is a no-brainer for the clubs in their own grounds. Practicality would determine whether those in ground shares with other sports could do this.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RP London said:

while i can see the merits of it with shared pitches for different sports there is no way this can happen IMHO

It certainly won't as long unless the sport sheds its poor cousin mentality of having to take what it can get and mandates that all fields of play be marked according to the Plan which forms part of the Laws of the Game, without exception.  Take note, the Aussies have been numbering their lines for more than 25 years now:

Edited by Big Picture

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

It certainly won't as long unless the sport sheds its poor cousin mentality of having to take what it can get and mandates that all fields of play be marked according to the Plan which forms part of the Laws of the Game, without exception.  Take note, the Aussies have been numbering their lines for more than 25 years now:

Its not a poor cousin mentality as such.. RL is the "poor cousin" as we do not own the grounds and share it.. its difficult when its not your pitch to have massively intrusive colourings when the sport you share with his quite a lot bigger and you may only have a day or two to change the markings over when the seasons overlap. 

I agree there are times we should stop acting like a second class citizen and have a better mentality but equally there are times when we MUST understand where the limitations are and work around them rather than arrogantly believe we can bulldoze through them as that risks being told to do one at which point we are in trouble.

Old trafford for the grand final for example would not do these markings I can pretty much 100% guarantee it and if our show peice match doesn't do it then it calls into question why you should bother doing it at other matches.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Allora said:

Things may have changed but a few years ago this was the split.

An NRL club gets 80% of the wholesale price of their jersey.
NRL clubs split the remaining 20% between the clubs.

Other official merchandise trade
40% to club
40% to a seperate pool allocated across all teams
20% to the NRL.

That's the sort of deal I put to some of the Championship/league 1 clubs 10 years ago , the difference was though I wanted them to set up and run with their own brand 

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

That's the sort of deal I put to some of the Championship/league 1 clubs 10 years ago , the difference was though I wanted them to set up and run with their own brand 

But 10 years ago there was no gateway to SL.. Surely you would have to go back to the drawing board on that one. NRL are static figures, P+R is somewhat dynamic.

6 hours ago, SL17 said:

But 10 years ago there was no gateway to SL.. Surely you would have to go back to the drawing board on that one. NRL are static figures, P+R is somewhat dynamic.

Which is why it was the right time to actually do what I was suggesting , it wasn't just merchandise , it was all aspects of income and expenditure , even if and when P and R returned those within the ' co operative ' could have remained in it even if they then moved up , good practice and increased income streams are a good thing no matter where you are

What this does indicate is SL are looking to return to a closed shop 

18 hours ago, mrfranco said:

For me, the most important thing you've done here, and most obvious pitch-related thing that certainly all the clubs with their own grounds could do to improve TV viewing whilst also get their branding out there - is the marking of the in-goals in the way gridiron marks its end zones.

It looks good. It makes it easy to see (esp on TV) when a team is approaching the tryline as opposed to some other line. It's good for the team's branding and it's even something we used to do for big Ashes tests etc., think Jiffy's try at Wembley, with "end zones" marked with Lion logos (and i think sellable sponsor's logos too - British Coal at the time).

I also think the numbering of the lines is a no-brainer for the clubs in their own grounds. Practicality would determine whether those in ground shares with other sports could do this.

This can be achieved with TV graphics very easily, and is done constantly throughout the NRL and other sports, thus removing the cost of having to physically do it on a weekly basis. Also avoids any conflict with shared stadia.

with the exception of the NRL logo, all pitch advertising is computer generated. Branding of the in-goals like you mentioned could easily be achieved in a similar way I'm sure.

Edited by EastLondonMike
  • Like 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

16 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

This can be achieved with TV graphics very easily, and is done constantly throughout the NRL and other sports, thus removing the cost of having to physically do it on a weekly basis. Also avoids any conflict with shared stadia.

with the exception of the NRL logo, all pitch advertising is computer generated. Branding of the in-goals like you mentioned could easily be achieved in a similar way I'm sure.

And you can’t paint sponsors and logos on every pitch because some teams ground share with football and other sports. SKY superimposed before at Magic Weekend and GF

16 hours ago, RP London said:

Its not a poor cousin mentality as such.. RL is the "poor cousin" as we do not own the grounds and share it.. its difficult when its not your pitch to have massively intrusive colourings when the sport you share with his quite a lot bigger and you may only have a day or two to change the markings over when the seasons overlap. 

I agree there are times we should stop acting like a second class citizen and have a better mentality but equally there are times when we MUST understand where the limitations are and work around them rather than arrogantly believe we can bulldoze through them as that risks being told to do one at which point we are in trouble.

Old trafford for the grand final for example would not do these markings I can pretty much 100% guarantee it and if our show peice match doesn't do it then it calls into question why you should bother doing it at other matches.

Can TV digitally add the markings for the viewers at home?

The vast majority of on field advertising you see in the NRL doesn’t actually exist at the ground yet the players etc all run over it which gives the impression it’s painted on.

9 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Which is why it was the right time to actually do what I was suggesting , it wasn't just merchandise , it was all aspects of income and expenditure , even if and when P and R returned those within the ' co operative ' could have remained in it even if they then moved up , good practice and increased income streams are a good thing no matter where you are

What this does indicate is SL are looking to return to a closed shop 

If they close the doors again, it’s over with,

I'd say more like 'exclusive' rather than 'closed' as if a non-SL/new club ever has  some tangible benefit to share I'm sure that SL would look to find a way in for them.

17 minutes ago, TBone said:

I'd say more like 'exclusive' rather than 'closed' as if a non-SL/new club ever has  some tangible benefit to share I'm sure that SL would look to find a way in for them.

' tangible ' ? , As in being the best team outside SL ?

Going back to the identity of Super League, look at the logo and how the sponsors were incorporated into it.

SL kept the same logo for 15 years and until 2011 sponsors were in a rugby ball shape above the logo until the Stovart shield in 2012.

Then in 2014 SLlost it’s identity with the first First Utility logo which look really amateur although the second is a better upgrade.

Finally SL has a rebrand which is incorporated with the rest of the RFL rebrand.

C098D84F-7CFA-4DB3-B56B-076C975C8957.jpeg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Going back to the identity of Super League, look at the logo and how the sponsors were incorporated into it.

SL kept the same logo for 15 years and until 2011 sponsors were in a rugby ball shape above the logo until the Stovart shield in 2012.

Then in 2014 SLlost it’s identity with the first First Utility logo which look really amateur although the second is a better upgrade.

Finally SL has a rebrand which is incorporated with the rest of the RFL rebrand.

C098D84F-7CFA-4DB3-B56B-076C975C8957.jpeg

man,  90s graphic design stylings all the way to.....2014?  not a great look!  Im not a real fan of the current logo but the other ones did not age well at all!

42 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

' tangible ' ? , As in being the best team outside SL ?

If that coincided with a big fat juicy TV deal I ‘m sure they’d, greedily, say yes. Given the current tendency to knee jerk reactions it’s all a bit ‘the man from delmonte says’ really and that might even include this season — it wouldn’t be the first time the goalposts were moved would it.

6 minutes ago, TBone said:

If that coincided with a big fat juicy TV deal I ‘m sure they’d, greedily, say yes. Given the current tendency to knee jerk reactions it’s all a bit ‘the man from delmonte says’ really and that might even include this season — it wouldn’t be the first time the goalposts were moved would it.

So no then 

3 hours ago, SL17 said:

If they close the doors again, it’s over with,

The door was never, ever closed, emotional claptrap.

• Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

8 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Rubbish 

Go on then, why?

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

2 minutes ago, Padge said:

Go on then, why?

Well , just little things like the RFL refusing to accept the LSV as part of Leigh licence application , despite it being three quarters built and the venue for the next Leigh match , but still happy to accept artists impressions of future stadia for Celtic Crusader's , Cas and Wakey 

Just a feeling that's all 

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Well , just little things like the RFL refusing to accept the LSV as part of Leigh licence application , despite it being three quarters built and the venue for the next Leigh match , but still happy to accept artists impressions of future stadia for Celtic Crusader's , Cas and Wakey 

Just a feeling that's all 

So Leigh got maximum points on all other criteria?

Just now, Padge said:

So Leigh got maximum points on all other criteria?

Did everybody else ?

But this isn't a criteria thread so I'm done with you on this , feel free to have the last