After promising to try and do less work(not fulfilled) my Mrs asked me to try and spend more time with her.Dont get me wrong, I love the bones of her and wouldn't be without her,BUT. I have just sat through 3 hours of reality tv in order to participate in her life a bit more.Quite frankly it was excruciating.Please don't tell me I'm alone in making compromises and sacrifices?,anyone else?

Three hours! It must be love, love, love! ?

Or Madness!

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

1 minute ago, RidingPie said:

My advice is take up a hobby together, I’d also advise Latin and ballroom dancing. Sounds a bit odd but my wife and I love it. 

I agree.  You watching reality tv isn't a compromise.  It should be more "why don't you watch that while I [insert here.........catch up on TRL, finish my book.....etc) then we'll [insert Riding Pie hobby here.......go out for Sunday lunch, have a game of (whatever you both like)......etc) not one of you suffer what you don't enjoy.

In the blink of an eye it could all be taken away.  Be grateful always.

12 minutes ago, RidingPie said:

My advice is take up a hobby together, I’d also advise Latin and ballroom dancing. Sounds a bit odd but my wife and I love it. 

Its better than love island. 

Anything is better than love island!

32 minutes ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

After promising to try and do less work(not fulfilled) my Mrs asked me to try and spend more time with her.Dont get me wrong, I love the bones of her and wouldn't be without her,BUT. I have just sat through 3 hours of reality tv in order to participate in her life a bit more.Quite frankly it was excruciating.Please don't tell me I'm alone in making compromises and sacrifices?,anyone else?

There is a bit of give and take needed in a relationship, but in our modern, connected world, you can be slumped in front of a reality TV show and also have an electronic device to hand connecting you to your own interests (or just a good book), as long as you do show occasional interest for the sake of sociability.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, RidingPie said:

Latin? I'm not sure my wife would go for reading Ovid or Plutarch together, but it takes all sorts I suppose ?

2 hours ago, JonM said:

Latin? I'm not sure my wife would go for reading Ovid or Plutarch together, but it takes all sorts I suppose ?

You might find that she took to it ovidly, JonM!

15 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Go for it! 

Always wondered why, if "tempus fugit" means time flies, why "mortis fugit" does not mean dead flies.

Oh, and why don't they speak Latin in Latin America?

Ut iam sit canibus non nasus

We have three Netflix profiles. Mine, the wife’s and stuff we’ll watch together. We can each veto what goes on the list without complaint. Works really well  

Can’t do it with Amazon or Sky so we get lots of “I’m not watching that!”

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I live 8000 miles from friends and family. I have no social life. I think I've had one glass of beer since new year. I use pretty much the whole of my annual salary to visit the uk for 2/3 weeks once a year. I haven't seen a game of RL live for 2 years+. I even go to church every week.

Sacrifice/compromise? 

As a wise old woman from Oban once told me, "always look for the gold".

I live in a land with a perfect climate. I have a very simple, stress-free life. My work is interesting, varied and worthwhile. I can have a decent standard of living on £250 pcm. I appreciate small luxuries (marmite, Yorkshire tea and English mustard). Other than the flights, my carbon footprint is tiny. When I do visit friends and family they are pleased to see me (mostly) - less is more.  

3 hours ago, Wholly Trinity said:

I live 8000 miles from friends and family. I have no social life. I think I've had one glass of beer since new year. I use pretty much the whole of my annual salary to visit the uk for 2/3 weeks once a year. I haven't seen a game of RL live for 2 years+. I even go to church every week.

Sacrifice/compromise? 

As a wise old woman from Oban once told me, "always look for the gold".

I live in a land with a perfect climate. I have a very simple, stress-free life. My work is interesting, varied and worthwhile. I can have a decent standard of living on £250 pcm. I appreciate small luxuries (marmite, Yorkshire tea and English mustard). Other than the flights, my carbon footprint is tiny. When I do visit friends and family they are pleased to see me (mostly) - less is more.  

This will be funny trying to suss out where you live ?

11 minutes ago, Wholly Trinity said:

OK, I won't spoil your fun.

In fact, to make it more interesting I'll offer a grand in cash to the first person to guess correctly. 

(Winner collects)

Thinking Indonesia or the Philippines 

Archived