Total Rugby League Fans Forum

We have been drawn away to Widnes in the 1895 Cup.

Got mixed feelings about this competition. On the one hand it's a chance for a trip to Wembley, and as the successor to the Northern Rail Cup you can see its potential appeal.. On the other hand...our first game should be played on the weekend of June 2nd/3rd, which should be fine, but if we win, the next round is scheduled to be played midweek between two scheduled league fixtures...Barrow at home then Halifax away. Do we (or Fax) really want a competitive game 3 or 4 days before that potentially crucial contest?

We'd also better hope that Widnes don't beat Wakefield in the Challenge Cup next week, otherwise their next CC game would be the weekend they are meant to be playing us in the 1895 Cup, meaning the 1895 Cup would have to be shunted to another midweek date.

The 1895 final is AFTER the main cup final, what's the point in that? Can't see many SL fans staying for that. Would have thought it would be first, RL don't have a clue! 

• Like 4

They arent the same force they were when we first played them - we played them at the worst time probably - theyve had a lot of team changes since

No prize money, no prestige, and the final played in an empty Wembley after everyone has gone home.

I'd play the full reserve squad. Last thing we want is to be picking up injuries or suspensions in a pointless fixture.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, MADREDNIGE said:

The 1895 final is AFTER the main cup final, what's the point in that? Can't see many SL fans staying for that. Would have thought it would be first, RL don't have a clue! 

The original plan was for it to be a curtain raiser. For whatever reason however, Wembley wouldn't let the RFL have use of the stadium early enough in the day to get the 1895 final played before the CC final. 

• Thanks 1

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

1 hour ago, hrtbps said:

No prize money, no prestige, and the final played in an empty Wembley after everyone has gone home.

I'd play the full reserve squad. Last thing we want is to be picking up injuries or suspensions in a pointless fixture.

To rite, top 5 more important 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, elppaxr2i said:

They arent the same force they were when we first played them - we played them at the worst time probably - theyve had a lot of team changes since

We've had one; Liam Hood has left. Apart from that its the exact same team...

1 hour ago, WV1 said:

We've had one; Liam Hood has left. Apart from that its the exact same team...

Whilst your squad may not have changed that much, the Widnes team that played Swinton at the weekend contained 7 different players to the one that played Fev. I'd say that was a definite change to the team..... (Similarly this weekend's Fev team was also different by 7 to the one that played Widnes).

And hasn't Gelling been (is?) on a 'sabbatical'?

8 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Whilst your squad may not have changed that much, the Widnes team that played Swinton at the weekend contained 7 different players to the one that played Fev. I'd say that was a definite change to the team..... (Similarly this weekend's Fev team was also different by 7 to the one that played Widnes).

Plus you can almost track the downward path of Widnes's results this season. Putting 40 past Fax and 36 past Toulouse (in France) in the first two weeks...then the crisis comes to a head...then the emotional hammering of us in the week they are saved...then Hood goes, a few injuries come along, some of the younger players probably start to hit the wall in what is a very tough league, and by April they're losing against Batley, York and Dewsbury. This league is merciless if you're not firing on all cylinders.

• Like 1

On 06/05/2019 at 21:16, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

For one league game, yeah.

He's just recovered from a groin strain and will be back for Summer Bash.

The whole squad will be back in 2 weeks. 

We'd be 3rd in the league in normal circumstances, despite the upheaval and a bunch of kids playing 

12 hours ago, WV1 said:

We'd be 3rd in the league in normal circumstances, despite the upheaval and a bunch of kids playing 

Aye, and we would be top if we had won all our games.

You are where you are my son, a situation of your own making, get on with it.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, WV1 said:

bet them local businesses you owed money to when you went bust are well impressed that youv kept them players

• Like 3

9 hours ago, gingdong said:

bet them local businesses you owed money to when you went bust are well impressed that youv kept them players

You mean the ones the new business are paying back out of good will?

The new business has took on the majority of debts of the old club to keep good relationships and because it's the honourable thing to do.

💁‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 13/05/2019 at 15:45, The Phantom Horseman said:

As expected, this game will be played on Sunday 2nd June, which was previously ablank weekend for both teams.

Spoke too soon.

Due to Widnes having to fulfil an earlier postponed fixture against Sheffield, our 1895 Cup game against thenm is now on  Wednesday June 5th...four days before we visit Sheffield in a crucial top 5 clash.

I would say stick the reserves in, but they have a fixture themselves that evening (away to Wakefield).

This isn't good imo.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman

It sounds as though Sheffield will have to rearrange their own 1895 Cup game against Halifax that was scheduled for June 2nd as they will be playing Widnes the previous Friday. So at least they should be in the same boat as us. Bet our players are thrilled at the prospect of playing twice in 4 days on a plastic pitch though!

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Spoke too soon.

Due to Widnes having to fulfil an earlier postponed fixture against Sheffield, our 1895 Cup game against thenm is now on  Wednesday June 5th...four days before we visit Sheffield in a crucial top 5 clash.

I would say stick the reserves in, but they have a fixture themselves that evening (away to Wakefield).

This isn't good imo.

Surely we would be able to move the reserve team game, can’t remember teams ever being asked to play a first team and second team game on the same night.

Although it wouldn’t surprise me 😂

1 hour ago, Gareth hock said:

I do hope Ryan Carr plays the reserves the league is more important and nobody cares about this cup. 

disagree I think we should let the players decide themselves this could be the one and only chance they get to play at wembley because knowing the rfl the 1895 cup will be another one year wonder like the 97 Silk Cut Plate

44 minutes ago, POR said:

disagree I think we should let the players decide themselves this could be the one and only chance they get to play at wembley because knowing the rfl the 1895 cup will be another one year wonder like the 97 Silk Cut Plate

I agree. Play your full strength side. Widnes will be feeling the affect from there match with Sheffield and should we win then that just breeds confidence for the trip to Sheffield. We played two matches over Easter and for the most part went toe to toe with the best team in the league in the second game.