Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Number 16

How not to market a game

Recommended Posts

I think it's slightly harsh to have a go at someone who obviously has a budget of 0p, and it really isn't that bad for what it is. I'd keep my scorn for those Super League clubs, and those running the sport, who expect people just to turn up, most of the time.

Edited by RigbyLuger
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

I think it's slightly harsh to have a go at someone who obviously has a budget of 0p, and it really isn't that bad for what it is. 

I disagree. The bloke is clearly enthusiastic, but he's the wrong side of the camera. It's not a question of money; much better can be done on a budget of zero pennies. How much does it cost to get the players and coach to speak, shots of games and training. All decent phones have video filming of a decent enough quality for this. It's probably not a question of time as you could probably do it in a couple of hours, first to last. Video editing suites are available on the internet, some free, others a few quid a month. 

Nah. It's rubbish.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lad is so enthusiastic bless him. A lot of people said some horrible things about him a few weeks back which prompted Wigan to invite him to their stadium to do a promo video for their game against Saints. 

I notice he did a video with one of the Rams’ players a fortnight ago, he was a very good interviewer - he should do more videos, especially as their head coach is very well spoken. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

I disagree. The bloke is clearly enthusiastic, but he's the wrong side of the camera. It's not a question of money; much better can be done on a budget of zero pennies. How much does it cost to get the players and coach to speak, shots of games and training. All decent phones have video filming of a decent enough quality for this. It's probably not a question of time as you could probably do it in a couple of hours, first to last. Video editing suites are available on the internet, some free, others a few quid a month. 

Nah. It's rubbish.

It's not state of the art, but the presenter comes across as genuinely enthusiastic and gets across a clear and simple message, so it seems rather unfair to use the words 'pure comedy' and 'cringeworthy'.

Anyway, hopefully your negativism will attract a few views either way and so generate some much needed publicity.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He hardly advertising Super League is he. He’s trying to get people to go and watch Dewsbury so he’s not calling out to a national audience 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't want to sound negative, because fair play to the kid for having a go.

But, in this day and age, with YouTube content creators putting out some really quite high quality content on extremely limited budgets, our clubs really need to step up their game.

It wouldn't cost more than a few hundred quid to get an enthusiastic YouTuber set up with a camera, microphone and editing software. The right person would be able to pump out a stream of really good content that would be streets ahead of the video in the link. My guess is that most clubs would have a supporter who'd be only too willing to take that project on!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, paulwalker71 said:

 

It wouldn't cost more than a few hundred quid to get an enthusiastic YouTuber set up with a camera, microphone and editing software. The right person would be able to pump out a stream of really good content that would be streets ahead of the video in the link. My guess is that most clubs would have a supporter who'd be only too willing to take that project on!

Key words in bold, but, again, how many bigger clubs don't even do this?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As always,people who do nothing,think they can do better.Applies to referees,coaches,commentators,even players.

Quite why these people are generally at home,waiting for their benefits to arrive is beyond me.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, cookey said:

As always,people who do nothing,think they can do better.Applies to referees,coaches,commentators,even players.

Quite why these people are generally at home,waiting for their benefits to arrive is beyond me.

My benefit didn't arrive today as it's a BH. 😉 And if that comment was directed at me then know that I've spent many years of time and money as player, coach and administrator in grassroots rugby league.

To the other posters above, okay, my choice of words could have been better. I agree that the bloke is enthusiastic and it sounds like his best role could be as interviewer/voice over, if so, then that's where he should be. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Moscow01 said:

The lad is so enthusiastic bless him. A lot of people said some horrible things about him a few weeks back which prompted Wigan to invite him to their stadium to do a promo video for their game against Saints. 

I notice he did a video with one of the Rams’ players a fortnight ago, he was a very good interviewer - he should do more videos, especially as their head coach is very well spoken. 

I loved that Wigan ad, top notch.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's the Yorkshire broadband advert on the telly ? , that is deliberately ' cheesy ' and ' cringey ' , but it works , you remember it for that reason , " no such thing as bad publicity " as they say 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How not to market a game

 

I thought, given the title, the thread was going to involve a potted history of the RFL and their marketing arm :

Julie who also does the Teas, the cleaning and the night security, Cyril on the Bontempi typewriter and Bob who waits next to the landline for sponsors to phone him.

Edited by Oxford
  • Haha 1

  Job's worth, job's worth more than my job's worth         

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its not good, but but fair play to the kid for having a go. It's certainly not his fault.

The obvious thing for me is the complete lack of awareness across the majority of the game of what is actually required and acceptable from a creative output point of view. It highlights further a genuine lack of knowledge and a real lack of desire to fix that. The mantra of many clubs seems to be a combination of "looks fine to me" and "whats wrong with that?"

  • Like 2

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d say “how not to market the game” would be doing nothing.... which is what far too many clubs do to market themselves. Nothing. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some Championship and League 1 clubs are absolutely brilliant at marketing and media... I’d certainly put Dewsbury in the middle of the pack, there’s plenty worse.

What I don’t understand is, given every single mobile phone has a video recorder, why don’t every club put a head coach and player interview up after training and after every game? It’s a two minute job.

I used to love turning up at training and interviewing the head coach. It’s also quite a buzz interviewing players when they’ve pulled off a great win, get the video on Twitter and Facebook and the job is done. Why bother putting a written interview on the club website three days after the game has taken place? 

I take a great interest in the Championship and League 1, but I can honestly say I’ve never even heard some of the head coaches who work in those leagues even speak. Some clubs are great, I can’t stress that enough but others need to up their game - the frustrating thing is it’s literally a 5-minute job! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve seen the videos, I saw the Toulouse one as well. Who is the lad? Is there any reason he is doing it or is he just the media lad at Dewsbury? 

They’re trying. It’s got nearly 450 views, which isn’t bad at all for something that’s cost zero to do. Will it make a difference on the attendance? Maybe, maybe not but they’re at least doing something when others aren’t doing a thing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Moscow01 said:

Some Championship and League 1 clubs are absolutely brilliant at marketing and media... I’d certainly put Dewsbury in the middle of the pack, there’s plenty worse.

What I don’t understand is, given every single mobile phone has a video recorder, why don’t every club put a head coach and player interview up after training and after every game? It’s a two minute job.

I used to love turning up at training and interviewing the head coach. It’s also quite a buzz interviewing players when they’ve pulled off a great win, get the video on Twitter and Facebook and the job is done. Why bother putting a written interview on the club website three days after the game has taken place? 

I take a great interest in the Championship and League 1, but I can honestly say I’ve never even heard some of the head coaches who work in those leagues even speak. Some clubs are great, I can’t stress that enough but others need to up their game - the frustrating thing is it’s literally a 5-minute job! 

Have you heard many SL coaches interviewed? Many of them seem to be competing with each to come across as the least enthusiastic about their job. If I heard two minutes a day from some of them I would probably be less inclined to attend a game.

  • Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I’ve seen the videos, I saw the Toulouse one as well. Who is the lad? Is there any reason he is doing it or is he just the media lad at Dewsbury? 

They’re trying. It’s got nearly 450 views, which isn’t bad at all for something that’s cost zero to do. Will it make a difference on the attendance? Maybe, maybe not but they’re at least doing something when others aren’t doing a thing. 

If that's views on Facebook, you can also point to the 500+ views on here. The lad's not doing bad in drumming up interest.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whether intended or not I think - as the thread shows - he’s attracting attention so it’s working! No doubting his enthusiasm. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The kid's ok, but good lord, who ever is behind the camera should at least learn how to focus it.
 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, PatrickB said:

The kid's ok, but good lord, who ever is behind the camera should at least learn how to focus it.
 

And somebody get that kid a razor so he can cut off that peach fuzz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...