Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Chrispmartha

Furner Sacked

Recommended Posts

With immediate effect. Quite suprised at that to be honest but I think clearly something wasn’t right with the attitude of the squad.

 

Agar in charge temporarily, oh dear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Panic stations

 

It’s either that or the club just realised Furner isn’t the right man for the job.

IMO Leeds squad is more than capable of being a top 5 team for whatever reason they just look like they don’t have the heart for it, was that because of the coach, I guess we’ll find out.

 

Agar takes over in the interim and he gets a lot of stick from fans but from what ive heard players rate him highly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tony Smith is available 😊

Quite shocking this but he just hasn't made an impact. The squad is lacking but it's not that lacking. A top quality coach would have given some indication of improvement in the team's performance or of addressing the huge psychological weakness they've shown all year. After watching Friday's awful showing at Salford I find it hard to disagree with this decision. Richard Agar however cannot be the answer.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still makes me laugh that they thought multiple trophy haul Mcdermott wasn't good enough for em, lol.

Average squad with an over-inflated sense of entitlement. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chrispmartha said:

Agar takes over in the interim and he gets a lot of stick from fans but from what ive heard players rate him highly?

By all accounts Agar is technically excellent at 'coaching' in the truest sense of the word.   Managing a victory both tactically and motivationally seems to be the job for somebody else though.   I would think Leeds need a Chester or a Powell to save themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fair enough - I don’t really have any insight into him.  Wouldn’t surprise me if Lam was ditched by Wigan.  He and Furner give an impression of sounding too ok with defeat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surprised yep.

Maybe he was too honest, as in he clearly frustrated in various press conferences and saying same areas repeatedly not good enough ...  disagree  that the players he inherited are top 5.  They have over the couple of seasons shown otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Hughsehhh said:

Still makes me laugh that they thought multiple trophy haul Mcdermott wasn't good enough for em, lol.

Average squad with an over-inflated sense of entitlement. 

i thought they wanted to keep Mcdermott as coach but bring in Sinfield as director of rugby. Mcdermott wasn't prepared to accept that and so no choice unless they back tracked on Sinfield.  

In hindsight maybe they should have back tracked. 

Edited by redjonn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Fair enough - I don’t really have any insight into him.  Wouldn’t surprise me if Lam was ditched by Wigan.  He and Furner give an impression of sounding too ok with defeat.

How many defeats have Wakefield and Castleford had this season? We're they OK?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

By all accounts Agar is technically excellent at 'coaching' in the truest sense of the word.   Managing a victory both tactically and motivationally seems to be the job for somebody else though.   I would think Leeds need a Chester or a Powell to save themselves.

Can't see Powell going back there after the way he was treated before.

Possibly Chester, but didn't he sign an extended contract at Wakey not long ago?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

By all accounts Agar is technically excellent at 'coaching' in the truest sense of the word.   Managing a victory both tactically and motivationally seems to be the job for somebody else though.   I would think Leeds need a Chester or a Powell to save themselves.

To be fair its the technical aspects we have been lacking, if he can coach defensive technique that will be a start

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tonka said:

Fair enough - I don’t really have any insight into him.  Wouldn’t surprise me if Lam was ditched by Wigan.  He and Furner give an impression of sounding too ok with defeat.

Interesting that both Leeds and Wigan looked to former big-name players as the solution.   Warrington and Saints gambled on relative unknowns and so far that seems to be paying off.

I remember an interview with the Warrington CEO after Price was announced as head coach - I think the club was basically struggling to find an established coach who was both available and willing to come over, so Karl Fitzpatrick flew over to Aus and apparently gave the few interviewees (including Furner I believe) who had applied for the job a stack of videos of team performances and asked them to analyse where we were deficient and what they could do to change things.   By all accounts Price was the only candidate who a) was familiar with watching the Super League and b) took the analysis task seriously.  

I'm willing to bet Saints did a similar thing with Holbrook.   Maybe Leeds need to look towards going down that route.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Surprised yep.

Maybe he was too honest, as in he clearly frustrated in various press conferences and saying same areas repeatedly not good enough ...  disagree  that the players he inherited are top 5.  They have over the couple of seasons shown otherwise.

We have two marquee signings which we have never had, bearing in mind we win the comp in 2017 aswell.

 

the Leeds squad is easily capable of top 5 if they applied themselves 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

Can't see Powell going back there after the way he was treated before.

Possibly Chester, but didn't he sign an extended contract at Wakey not long ago?

Yes of course I'm not suggesting that's what will happen, just what they need! 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Interesting that both Leeds and Wigan looked to former big-name players as the solution.   Warrington and Saints gambled on relative unknowns and so far that seems to be paying off.

I remember an interview with the Warrington CEO after Price was announced as head coach - I think the club was basically struggling to find an established coach who was both available and willing to come over, so Karl Fitzpatrick flew over to Aus and apparently gave the few interviewees (including Furner I believe) who had applied for the job a stack of videos of team performances and asked them to analyse where we were deficient and what they could do to change things.   By all accounts Price was the only candidate who a) was familiar with watching the Super League and b) took the analysis task seriously.  

I'm willing to bet Saints did a similar thing with Holbrook.   Maybe Leeds need to look towards going down that route.

I agree with this, too many fans want a big name coach to come over, but most of the successful coaches in SL have been ones with hardly any NRL head coach experience if any at all, look at the coaches who have won the SL title in the last 10 years, and we have one of the most experienced NRL coaches coaching the side second to bottom at the moment

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surprised by that. There must be more to it than meets the eye and I wonder if senior players have had a hand in it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow this is just wrong!

I am not saying that he is great but it's far too quick!

It's not like he inherited the champions like Lam, he got a moderate squad and needs to blood the kids.

The kids like Smith, Handley and Walker have kicked on but the senior pros have let him down.

This can only be a behind closed doors fall out surely.

I hope Leeds break the bank to get Powell in and would not object to Tony Smith until the end of the season.

As each day goes by we look more and more like the shambolic Man United!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

How many defeats have Wakefield and Castleford had this season? We're they OK?

Sorry I don't follow 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Interesting that both Leeds and Wigan looked to former big-name players as the solution.   Warrington and Saints gambled on relative unknowns and so far that seems to be paying off.

I remember an interview with the Warrington CEO after Price was announced as head coach - I think the club was basically struggling to find an established coach who was both available and willing to come over, so Karl Fitzpatrick flew over to Aus and apparently gave the few interviewees (including Furner I believe) who had applied for the job a stack of videos of team performances and asked them to analyse where we were deficient and what they could do to change things.   By all accounts Price was the only candidate who a) was familiar with watching the Super League and b) took the analysis task seriously.  

I'm willing to bet Saints did a similar thing with Holbrook.   Maybe Leeds need to look towards going down that route.

Lam and Furner were assistants at the NRL.  Were they really 'big names'?

Both the current Saints and Warrington coaches saw their seasons run off the rails last season. So what sets them apart? 

(Good luck to them by the way. They seem decent coaches)

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...