Lack of respect for referees.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Obviously they havent always been mic'd up so don't know for sure, but as long as we have heard the ref they have used player names.

I have heard them use a number before, so assume that must be when they don't really know the person or forget the name.

My personal view on this is that it is very easy to have a respectful conversation where a first name and sir are used.

Let's agree to disagree.

night night.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess we as the silent majority,,, or minority I sometime think condone the abusive commentary from fellow fans by staying silent... except on a blog.

I often do wonder about the people around me at many games, well every game I guess.

1 hour ago, redjonn said:

I guess we as the silent majority,,, or minority I sometime think condone the abusive commentary from fellow fans by staying silent... except on a blog.

In this day and age you'd probably get filled in or cause uproar for challenging some of the idiots.

rldfsignature.jpg

On 14/05/2019 at 10:42, deluded pom? said:

In this day and age you'd probably get filled in or cause uproar for challenging some of the idiots.

yep, says something about the persons unfortunately... or that we (as in stadium/clubs)  allow them to get so drunk.

Maybe the abuse hotlines at stadiums can be used for excessive ref abuse too.. and of course excessively drunk.

On 13/05/2019 at 23:35, gittinsfan said:

Let's agree to disagree.

night night.

I refer to my boss at work by her first name. Thirty years ago, in my position, I might well have referred to her as 'Ms/Mrs x'.

I don't think I am any more likely to tell her to f*** off on account of this change.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

On 13/05/2019 at 19:56, BadlyOverdrawnBoy said:

Refs are like politicians. Everyone says they could do a better job themselves, but very, very few actually put themselves up for it. And we need both.

Your opinion, we do not need politicians. 

On 13/05/2019 at 19:24, Dave T said:

Yes, and nobody would bat an eyelid. That's why for me it should be given.

The 2nd one, not at all. Same as the Rhinos two.

And that's why there is no need for a video ref, the referee calls what he sees, using the touch judges where he sees fit, and that it is it. 

On 13/05/2019 at 22:02, Kayakman said:

Or by their position or by their last name.   What are we running?... some type of pre school daycare program?

If you cannot say anything sensible then say nothing, but as time has gone on since your cuckoo team has been in the British rugby league leagues you have proved yourself incapable of that. 

On 13/05/2019 at 23:20, Dave T said:

No, they call him sir to show respect.

The ref using the players first name, like a teacher would (not a teacher from the 50's) shows respect. 

I don't see any issue with using a first name in the slightest. A few years back there was an issue with using nicknames, I agree that went too far and it was stopped.

Which only works if the ref knows the first name of every single person in the pitch, which they don't. That then implies a favourable bias towards the  "known" players. 

40 minutes ago, Hemi4561 said:

Which only works if the ref knows the first name of every single person in the pitch, which they don't. That then implies a favourable bias towards the  "known" players. 

There are only 34 players. They will have met and worked with all these players numerous times. They will know most off by heart and they can easily learn the others.

1 hour ago, Hemi4561 said:

Your opinion, we do not need politicians. 

Ha, you what.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

33 minutes ago, Dave T said:

There are only 34 players. They will have met and worked with all these players numerous times. They will know most off by heart and they can easily learn the others.

And if you are reffing  an amateur game just learn the names of the key players - usually 6, 7, 9 & 13 along with the captain - and the rest falls into place. It's not difficult 

On 13/05/2019 at 15:52, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Not quite sure why you've directed that post at me. I didn't say anything about decisions being right or wrong, I just said refs know the rules and shouting at them isn't gonna help the situation that's all.

I ref junior Rugby Union. No ref goes out to cheat any team. Anyone who believes this is deluded. If the ref blows every offence, there'd be no continuity. And the ref would be "killing the game". Saints are top because they're the best team not because of referees. Losing coaches blame referees because it's easier than blaming themselves or their players. How many winning coaches say they won due to the referee? If people want better refs, we need a bigger pool of referees. So screaming abuse from "fans" and dissent from players will have the opposite effect.

58 minutes ago, LeeF said:

And if you are reffing  an amateur game just learn the names of the key players - usually 6, 7, 9 & 13 along with the captain - and the rest falls into place. It's not difficult 

I remember being reffed by Cummins in an armateur game and being amazed that he used most players first name. 

3 hours ago, Hemi4561 said:

If you cannot say anything sensible then say nothing, but as time has gone on since your cuckoo team has been in the British rugby league leagues you have proved yourself incapable of that. 

If you cannot say anything sensible then say nothing at all, but as time has gone on since your cuckoo team has been in the British rugby league you have proved yourself incapable of that.  Put some more of that liquid pig manure in your coffee.

If we really want to regain respect for refs it has to be done from top to bottom including commentators.

Although the level of anger generally seems to be increasing that is pushed along the moment any one of us questions a decision.

Radlinski, Adriam Lam and Love Rugby all helped to substantiate the idea that the Warriors had been cheated in some way.

Even by just asking  is to bring into question the decision and validates the response.

It is true to say that the video ref hasn't helped in this respect because, as psychological research tells us all, people see what they belive and what they wish to see.

You'd think the evidence of a forum would be enough to illustrate this all too easily.

What's that old saying? In the land of the TGG fan the one eyed man (or woman) sits on the throne.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

12 hours ago, Hemi4561 said:

pot and kettle...

Kayakman is as entitled as anyone else to an opinion and by and large and on many subjects it is interesting and insightful because he hasn't got the history we have in the game.

13 hours ago, Hemi4561 said:

Do you think insulting someone by calling their team a cuckoo team is sensible and adds anything? Maybe you should heed your own advice.

11 hours ago, bobbruce said:

I remember being reffed by Cummins in an armateur game and being amazed that he used most players first name. 

It was something that definitely worked for me in the amateur game 

17 minutes ago, LeeF said:

It was something that definitely worked for me in the amateur game 

All good but I think the first name last name, numbers thing is a red herring.  Players shouldn’t be doing it. 

100% I would not want any players of mine berating the Ref.  How can amateur leagues uphold the Respect campaign when they see some professionals acting as they do?  Do we expect Academy players to then act any different as they learn?

Embedded ethics in our game are toughness, discipline and high levels of skills under pressure but all with humility.  

The antics we’re seeing aren’t from the majority, but its growing from what I see.  I don’t think it’s a big problem to solve either, but someone has to step up and deal with it quickly.

We had a few ex pros playing so he obviously new them but it was definitely a nice touch to learn the other players names. I’d imagine it then made it easier for him to control the game. 

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

All good but I think the first name last name, numbers thing is a red herring.  Players shouldn’t be doing it. 

100% I would not want any players of mine berating the Ref.  How can amateur leagues uphold the Respect campaign when they see some professionals acting as they do?  Do we expect Academy players to then act any different as they learn?

Embedded ethics in our game are toughness, discipline and high levels of skills under pressure but all with humility.  

The antics we’re seeing aren’t from the majority, but its growing from what I see.  I don’t think it’s a big problem to solve either, but someone has to step up and deal with it quickly.

Absolutely spot on. This is why I disagreed with the point about what the ref calls them. It is absolutely a red herring and changing that will not fix this. 

It is spectacularly missing the point.

On ‎13‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 11:48, JohnM said:

Ban them on what grounds? Refs get the respect they earn, and that is reflected on here by the many posts over many years (including mine) supporting refs and their decisions come what may.

That does not, though, absolve them from criticism over decisions. Yes, it's a fast moving game and decisions have to be made in a split second, so naturally thy get some decisions wrong. In fact, they make hardly any mistakes,  as post match review often reveals.

Of course,  it is wholly wrong for fans of any team to spit venom or anything else at referees. However, when the match officials get something wrong after several minutes of deliberation in what seems to be a deliberate attempt to prove the on-field decision wrong, it is right, in my view, to challenge them.

The game is now over. Whatever, Warrington have progressed to the next round, and with the help of the Wiganers in their ranks, this could be their year (r not!)

Robert Hicks's knock-on decision against Wigan was a joke.  It wasn't high speed, he didn't need to make a snap decision, he had several views of the incident and still came up with the wrong answer.  If referees are to have respect then inferior refs needs dropping from the list. IMO Robert Hicks fits this category and always has done.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

51 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Robert Hicks's knock-on decision against Wigan was a joke.  It wasn't high speed, he didn't need to make a snap decision, he had several views of the incident and still came up with the wrong answer.  If referees are to have respect then inferior refs needs dropping from the list. IMO Robert Hicks fits this category and always has done.

I think they are dropped if they’ve had a mare, mate.   We could comment on the TJs forever and a day too, but debated decisions will always be there, Players debating decisions etc etc etc, doesn’t have to be if someone steps in.

Archived