Total Rugby League Fans Forum

This is not a flippant request.

I am at a loss to understand why Harry Smith is not in the current Wigan Warriors first team squad particularly as the number 7 position is a problematic one and that is no disrespect to Tommy Leuluai.

Can anyone in the know please advise?

• Like 1

Tommy Leuluai had a good game yesterday.  I haven't seen enough of Harry Smith to form an opinion - how is he doing at Swinton?  Also, would you make a straight swap of Smith for Leuluai or have Leuluai play at hooker instead of Powell?

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

41 minutes ago, latchford albion said:

Tommy Leuluai had a good game yesterday.  I haven't seen enough of Harry Smith to form an opinion - how is he doing at Swinton?  Also, would you make a straight swap of Smith for Leuluai or have Leuluai play at hooker instead of Powell?

Leuluai can do what he already does at hooker, with the bonus that he can be spelled with Powell to keep the old geezer's legs fresh.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Would prefer Tommy at 9 rather than 7.

Accept Tommy had good game at 7 yesterday.

Not suggesting Harry Smith should be automatic choice at 7 but believe he should be in first team squad and not on dual registration at Swinton. He was cup tied yesterday. Captain of England Academy last year and was best player on pitch.

Shaun Edwards played 7 for Wigan at same age.

I don't know enough about Harry Smith to have an opinion on whether or not he should be playing. However, when a team is struggling a bit as you have been, it's a bold move to leave out an experienced player to give a kid a debut. Especially when it's a new coach.

As fans you see that things aren't working and want to see the youngsters have a go instead. But put yourself in Lam's position. He will have been feeling the pressure and is always going to take the safe option. It's a lot easier to blood youngsters in a team that is going well.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MZH said:

I don't know enough about Harry Smith to have an opinion on whether or not he should be playing. However, when a team is struggling a bit as you have been, it's a bold move to leave out an experienced player to give a kid a debut. Especially when it's a new coach.

As fans you see that things aren't working and want to see the youngsters have a go instead. But put yourself in Lam's position. He will have been feeling the pressure and is always going to take the safe option. It's a lot easier to blood youngsters in a team that is going well.

Yeah, I'm not convinced that it would necessarily be the best experience for Smith either. The team was much more promising yesterday so I think it's OK to hold off for a while and let him find his feet at Swinton.

17 hours ago, Wigan Riversider said:

This is not a flippant request.

I am at a loss to understand why Harry Smith is not in the current Wigan Warriors first team squad particularly as the number 7 position is a problematic one and that is no disrespect to Tommy Leuluai.

Can anyone in the know please advise?

Not ready.

16 hours ago, Father Ted said:

We might find out how the club is thinking re Smith if it is confirmed that Williams has unfortunately broken his wrist. 

A blow for Wigan and Williams if so.  Real bad news.  But no official news that can see anywhere to confirm it.  And if so yet another tragic injury this season.

Re Smith... simply in the squad would not necessarily get him in the team and what might be better spent would be to get him playing somewhere.