Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Nerl

Setting up new club

Hi I am looking to set up a rugby league club in the west end of Newcastle and was just wondering if anyone can give any advice on what is required to set a club up ("open age to start with) 

7 hours ago, Nerl said:

Hi I am looking to set up a rugby league club in the west end of Newcastle and was just wondering if anyone can give any advice on what is required to set a club up ("open age to start with) 

Perhaps contact Newcastle Thunder RLFC for advice. 

I was involved with a club that didn't start up correctly and I've been involved with a club that did start up correctly. 

If there is a merit League level in your region, you can play with as little as a set of matching shirts and a pitch that you can hire. So long as you can provide food for the opposition after the game and pay for a ref, that's acceptable. 

If you want to actually be a success, that's a lot more complicated and I'll come back to that later on when I get my laptop in front of me.

It entirely depends on what your club is going to be.  If it's a "summer team" for a Union club, you need to talk to the RFL, register as a club and get a couple of the other volunteers to sign on as a committee.  If you have a built in base of players, more the better.  However, if you're going to go it alone, it's a lot more complicated than that.

Firstly, you need to make sure you're serious about this.  If you want to be really successful, you have to bear in mind you need to work 11 months a year.  That sounds insane but on things like social media, consistency is key.  It's not 40 hours a week, 48 weeks a year but there is going to be something that needs to be done all year round.  Take September off and get back to work no later than mid-October.

Secondly, you need to make sure you have a couple of other people who are serious about this too.  It's too much for one person to do, unless you want to look like a completely tinpot outfit.  Work out where your strengths are but one person needs to be the head coach.  The RFL won't give you community development resource, that's solely for juniors, and pretty much every coach knocking around the scene wants paying.  All the coach should be doing is working with the players, take everything else off his plate.  If you're the coach, you need to surround yourself with people to do off-field stuff.  You might need to take a backseat on off-field stuff and you need to be OK with that.

If you can't meet these two criteria, you're better off not going any further.  I hate to say it but that's realistically the first go/no-go point.  If you don't have a core of committed volunteers, you could bring the Burgess Brothers down but it won't stick.  Players won't turn up to training if there's no plan at training, new players won't find you because nobody is trying to look for them.  You might do more harm than good and, if somebody else comes behind you, they'll probably face issues due to your incompetence.

At this point, I'd contact the RFL.  Talk to them about registration, your project and your ideas.  Write something down on paper, articulate what you're doing and why you're doing it.  You need an outline of a budget, if only so you can see how much it'll cost and how much you need to bring in.

Thirdly, you need a steady home ground where you can build your club year-to-year.  The RFL have requirements to provide changing facilities and food for the opposition.  You can only move once and it has to be to a better ground so the place where you start has to be the place where you think you're going to stay for a long time.  If you can't find a decent home, then the club isn't going to work.  This is the second go/no-go point.  The RFL may be able to help because they have their own set of contacts.  This is also where contacts with Newcastle Thunder might come in handy.  Be flexible.  If you have the perfect pitch with a changing block and a pub round the corner that has a back room, that might work too.

If you get to that point, I'll tell you more but that's a hell of a lot of work right there.

• Like 1

Was listening to an interview with the guy who invented Arena Football today.  When he taught sports marketing, he boiled down his ideas to something he called the three knows; kNOw your market, kNOw your sport, kNOw your finances.  The NO is capitalised because if you don't know any of these, you shouldn't proceed.

As an aside I saw this RU post - https://www.pitchero.com/clubs/bournvillerfc/news/please-welcome-our-new-managing-director-phil-mayn-2376689.html and noticed this at the end, anyone know more (club is Bourneville in Edgbaston Birmingham)

We have developed a fantastic partnership with University College Birmingham and we are looking to host cross-sport participation in the area including male and female American Football and Rugby League."