Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  

2 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

He'll end up at leeds

1 hour ago, roughyedspud said:

Like I said....he'll end up at leeds

So, it's Leeds then?

He would go OK in SL but he is past his prime, like most NRL players will be in future. Top guys make too much over there to come unless their career is virtually over. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

I’m sure he’d go okay here if he was committed.   There’s nothing to suggest he’s committed though, and seems like he’s holding out to see if a UK contract would significantly increase his income before retirement.

I don’t want to see another Tyrone Roberts style disappointment in Super League, and although Leeds need to strengthen at half back, I’m not sure Maloney is the answer.   What Leeds really need is a coach who can take them back to basics and sort their resilience out.   Then start rebuilding the key positions with some genuine talent.

Also, wouldn’t Leeds need to ditch one of their marquee players?   Or is Merrin still being paid by Penrith? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MZH said:

Leeds can't have any overseas spots left can they? 

Merrin back to the NRL?

I’m sure Albert could be let go. 

Maloney wouldn’t solve all of Leeds problems but he is exactly what they need - someone with leadership skills and someone to take them around the park. He also has an excellent short kicking game, so Leeds final plays would improve immeasurably.

Not sure where it would leave Myler as really they’re both scrum halves. 

Edited by DoubleD

Wigan bound i would have thought. With Williams going to Canberra, Maloney makes perfect sense. No doubt Wigan will look to secure a first option on Williams if he doesn't make a go of it in the NRL, which would make it an easy 1-2 year decision for Maloney.

Wigan will of course have a space for a marquee player. Who are Leeds current marquee signings?

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

55 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I’m sure Albert could be let go. 

Does he count - I thought PNG players were treated differently?

Leeds will likely look to a player like that, and in a few positions. 

Not always a fan of bringing over aging players for a last pay day but the position leeds are In with the youngsters they are bringing through, they only want a player for a year or two anyway

16 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Leeds will likely look to a player like that, and in a few positions. 

Not always a fan of bringing over aging players for a last pay day but the position leeds are In with the youngsters they are bringing through, they only want a player for a year or two anyway

The bit in bold is important. I have always found the criticism of signing older players a bit odd. For me it purely depends on their playing ability, I get that risk increases due to age, but we have seen plenty of older players come over and play a good few years - yet we still get criticism of then coming over for a pay day. 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

The bit in bold is important. I have always found the criticism of signing older players a bit odd. For me it purely depends on their playing ability, I get that risk increases due to age, but we have seen plenty of older players come over and play a good few years - yet we still get criticism of then coming over for a pay day. 

I agree there are some circumstances where clubs seem to rely on a churn of aging overseas players  but there are also circumstances where an old hand for a couple of years is ideal. 

I think it's a valid criticism where these types of players are brought in and stifle young talent(or to cover for a lack of it) but there is also an argument to say, at times, it is useful for a youngster to develop behind and learn from that talent. McClelland isn't ready yet, but if Leeds are to back him to be so the Maloney for the rest of this year and next year and being edged out the year after is the perfect pathway for him

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

I agree there are some circumstances where clubs seem to rely on a churn of aging overseas players  but there are also circumstances where an old hand for a couple of years is ideal. 

I think it's a valid criticism where these types of players are brought in and stifle young talent(or to cover for a lack of it) but there is also an argument to say, at times, it is useful for a youngster to develop behind and learn from that talent. McClelland isn't ready yet, but if Leeds are to back him to be so the Maloney for the rest of this year and next year and being edged out the year after is the perfect pathway for him

We see the stock criticism rolled out too often when a player is signed. My view is that clubs should get the best team they can on the field to entertain the fans and TV viewers.

We have had a lot of comments about Patton at Wire. Well, if he isn't as good as Widdopp, that is tough.

16 minutes ago, Dave T said:

We see the stock criticism rolled out too often when a player is signed. My view is that clubs should get the best team they can on the field to entertain the fans and TV viewers.

We have had a lot of comments about Patton at Wire. Well, if he isn't as good as Widdopp, that is tough.

I think widdop is a different kettle of fish as his quality is known and it's of a high level. He is adding to the league.

I think the problem is when you see 24,25,26,27 year old players brought over who are nothing more than average and they are keeping young prospects from getting the development time they need to reach and be better than that level. 

I look at Leeds at Peteru and Albert maybe even Ava and think we, as a competition, would be better taking that short term hit of not bringing them over  as in 2 or 3 years the youngsters who would take their place would be better than them.

And I think that's the case for every squad, average overseas players who are ready rather than better

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I see no benefit in bringing over to the UK has been's and never was players from the NRL. For me that add long long term benefit and hold back the progress of British talent.

For me the money spent on their wages and accommodation would be better spent on junior development

37 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I think widdop is a different kettle of fish as his quality is known and it's of a high level. He is adding to the league.

I think the problem is when you see 24,25,26,27 year old players brought over who are nothing more than average and they are keeping young prospects from getting the development time they need to reach and be better than that level. 

I look at Leeds at Peteru and Albert maybe even Ava and think we, as a competition, would be better taking that short term hit of not bringing them over  as in 2 or 3 years the youngsters who would take their place would be better than them.

And I think that's the case for every squad, average overseas players who are ready rather than better

Surely it comes down to the readiness and quality of whatever your club has in its Academy/Reserves? While some kids may well be heralded as the next big thing (see the England Academy side that beat Australia in the winter), these lads may not be ready for the rigours of Super League, thus these “stop gap’s” are signed. 

Leeds need a player who can organise and guide the team round. 

His experience in the NRL maybe what the clubs needs, even if it was a short term measure. 

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year