Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
audois

Toulouse Olympique Update

"Super League chief executive Robert Elstone says Toulouse could be a perfect fit for the top flight.

Elstone paid a visit to the ambitious Championship club"

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/super-league-chief-robert-elstone-hails-nou-camp-occasion/

Looking Good!

Job's worth, job's worth more than my job's worth         

23 minutes ago, Oxford said:

"Super League chief executive Robert Elstone says Toulouse could be a perfect fit for the top flight.

Elstone paid a visit to the ambitious Championship club"

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/super-league-chief-robert-elstone-hails-nou-camp-occasion/

Looking Good!

Is that the right link? Nothing about Toulouse there 

https://www.ladepeche.fr/2019/05/21/le-stade-ernest-wallon-va-changer-de-standing,8212206.php?fbclid=IwAR2nODm-B_72WVMmIG2LwnkjWUX9UNTXvTw28PlDvPk_khs3xRaOepkOylM

According to this, TO will be moving into Stade Ernest Wallon at the start of next season (which is to get a serious redevelopment including a capacity increase to 40K and a new pitch that will be in place by the time they move).

A big step up from Argeles, although it will be way too large with the capacity increase. Good opportunities for corporate by the sound of it, which could be very lucrative in a much more economically vibrant area than Catalans.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, wackojacko said:

https://www.ladepeche.fr/2019/05/21/le-stade-ernest-wallon-va-changer-de-standing,8212206.php?fbclid=IwAR2nODm-B_72WVMmIG2LwnkjWUX9UNTXvTw28PlDvPk_khs3xRaOepkOylM

According to this, TO will be moving into Stade Ernest Wallon at the start of next season (which is to get a serious redevelopment including a capacity increase to 40K and a new pitch that will be in place by the time they move).

A big step up from Argeles, although it will be way too large with the capacity increase. Good opportunities for corporate by the sound of it, which could be very lucrative in a much more economically vibrant area than Catalans.

‘This unparalleled rapprochement between XV and XIII will be effective from 2020 as the Championship begins in February. By then, the pitch will be brand new. From Treize to Wallon? We will really change times!’

26 minutes ago, wackojacko said:

Sounds like they will be in an increased SL next season then. I can't see why they'd move there without certainty they'd be up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wackojacko said:

Why the big increase in capacity? That’s more than double the current one and takes it just ahead of Toulouse FCs ground. Seems a bit strange 

• Like 1

With the stadium needing to be used year round and this initiative being pushed by the local mayor and Stade Toulousain you would expect that TO would receive extra funding from local, regional governments and maybe even the union team themselves. I think they're about 3-4 players short of promotion and extra monies could help to bring players in that will make the difference. 

They desperately need a couple of three quarters and a couple of props.

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Why the big increase in capacity? That’s more than double the current one and takes it just ahead of Toulouse FCs ground. Seems a bit strange 

Possibly attempting to secure games for the Union world cup in 2023? It certainly is a bold plan.

6 hours ago, Newguy said:

Possibly attempting to secure games for the Union world cup in 2023? It certainly is a bold plan.

But they could play them at Toulouse FC ground. 

Ernest Wallon isn’t owned by the union side I don’t think, it’s a municipal stadium isn’t it? It just seems a bit OTT, as I can’t see Stade Toulousian filling it either 

I've enjoyed my trips to Toulouse in recent years, despite the inevitable defeats for my team. However I've always felt that the official crowd figures given have been vastly inflated from the attendance in the ground. I don't think there has ever been more than 500 when I have watched Dewsbury play there, yet the published gate has often been 2,000 plus.
I would like to see them get in Super League but I can't see them being another Catalans. I would love to be proved wrong though.

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Ernest Wallon isn’t owned by the union side I don’t think, it’s a municipal stadium isn’t it? It just seems a bit OTT, as I can’t see Stade Toulousian filling it either 

They usually get around 14k in an 18k stadium, but when they play big games at the football ground a couple of times per year, they get over 30k.

4 minutes ago, creditwhereitsdews said:

I've enjoyed my trips to Toulouse in recent years, despite the inevitable defeats for my team. However I've always felt that the official crowd figures given have been vastly inflated from the attendance in the ground. I don't think there has ever been more than 500 when I have watched Dewsbury play there, yet the published gate has often been 2,000 plus.
I would like to see them get in Super League but I can't see them being another Catalans. I would love to be proved wrong though.

Catalans were getting less than 1000 prior to entry in SL too. The original 3 contenders back in 2005 were Villeneuve, Toulouse & Catalans and Villeneuve were the best supported of the 3 at the time.

Can't imagine there's going to be much of an atmosphere playing in a big empty stadium every week - it will be like the Sydney teams in the NRL.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, creditwhereitsdews said:

I think they proved their credentials and pulling power when they played Toronto earlier this season. I think their crowds will end up being higher than Catalans

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JonM said:

They usually get around 14k in an 18k stadium, but when they play big games at the football ground a couple of times per year, they get over 30k.

Yeah I knew they took their higher prestige games to FC Toulouse. I suppose the union club have put pressure on so they don’t have to do that and it solves a problem of Toulouse Olympique at the same time for the council. 

However, it will surely be like the Sydney stadiums as you say which will really take away from the atmosphere 

23 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I think they proved their credentials and pulling power when they played Toronto earlier this season. I think their crowds will end up being higher than Catalans

And of course games between Toulouse and Catalans can be sold as big events and boost each other crowds.

You would hope that, if TO do relocate, they then press the council to spend the money previously designated for the Minimes on redeveloping that venue as a state of the art training ground for TO.

• Like 1

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

1 hour ago, nadera78 said:

You would hope that, if TO do relocate, they then press the council to spend the money previously designated for the Minimes on redeveloping that venue as a state of the art training ground for TO.

Yeah reading that article it does seem to be more of a way to justify the Mayor giving council money to Stade Toulouse towards redevelopments. Toulouse Olympique should still at least get a high quality training facility out of this.

I was under the impression that Stade Ernest Wallon is owned or partly owned by Stade Toulousain. The press release here talks of the City Council investing in this hybrid pitch which would facilitate TOXIII's involvement. Isn't this their get-out-of jail card after the Minimes  fiasco. Lets hope so. I think that there has always been a better relationship in Toulouse between the two codes than in Perpignan. Maybe because there hasn't been any threat. A decade ago USAP were champions of France but today a different scenario especially after this past weekend.

Edited by audois
  • Like 1

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

2 hours ago, creditwhereitsdews said:

I have had doubts about TOXIII's ability to get a crowd out. But what convinced me that it could was the Dragons game at Stade Ernest Wallon v Hull KR in 2013 when 14,000 turned-up. Their best gate last year was the 5,000 at Albi and this year 6,000 against Toronto at Stade Ernest Wallon. Toulouse is a tough market sport wise. TFC in Ligue 1, Basketball, Handball alongside 3 union clubs with Blagnac Federal, Colomiers  Pro 2 and ST Top 14.

Before UTC was formed in 2001 a third of the sides in Elite 1 were Perpignan based XIII Catalan, St Esteve, Pia and St Cyprien The code there has always been bigger I think. For Toulouse it can look out for support further north in the Tarn and westward to the Aquitaine region.

• Like 1

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

8 hours ago, DoubleD said:

The article clearly says that there are World Rugby related pitch size issues with the soccer ground.

Drawing up plans for such a high capacity may be just giving them some breathing room for when the council decides to scale back on the plans so they can negotiate down to what they had really wanted anyway. Just a thought. The pitch and the TOXIII move is the big thing for the moment anyway.

Edited by wackojacko
  • Like 1