Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Total Rugby League

Summer Bash: Hot or not?

It rarely fails to deliver top-notch entertainment and it helps raise the profile of the Championship with much-needed TV coverage too, so why is the future of the Summer Bash so insecure? It has hosted brutal battles, breathtaking comebacks and off-field controversy – and the Summer Bash will be back in Blackpool this May. From the Battle of Bloomfield Road…

The post Summer Bash: Hot or not? appeared first on Total Rugby League.

View the full article

• Thanks 1

I’ve never been sure what purpose the Bash holds for Championship clubs or the wider game of Rugby League. Do the clubs make any money from the weekend? And I don’t see the weekend used to boost expansion as Blackpool has been done twice now and failed both times and as far as I’m aware, there’s not much RL round there and certainly none that is aiming for the lower leagues anytime soon. 

The attendance never seems that good on TV, with very noticeable patches of orange seats all over the place. Maybe a smaller venue may be better but then you’re taking the weekend away from Blackpool, where people, I guess, seem to want to visit. It’s a bit like the Magic Weekend, I get the impression fans like Blackpool, as fans liked Newcastle and we’ve seen the uproar about that change. 

I’d go big for the Bash weekend and go back to the old school for one weekend only and would re-introduce the 3pts for a win, 2pts for a draw and 1pt for a loss under twelve points for the round of Bash fixtures to do something different. I enjoyed that format anyway but I think both the Bash and the MW need something on top of it just being a round of fixtures in the same ground. 

• Like 2

It was setup because Championship clubs didn't get there own version of "Magic Weekend" - they eventually got one at Blackpool as that's where the Northern Rail Cup was held. 

What the overall plan is of the event has never been said, I don't believe?

• Like 1

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

1 hour ago, Chris Taylor said:

What the overall plan is of the event has never been said, I don't believe?

I suspect the overall plan is "to make money". We don't need to keep insisting that every initiaitve has to have lofty goals (such as expansion) by which it should be measured - doing so only sets the idea up to fail. 

Whether it makes money is the big issue. I suspect, on the basis of last year, the make-or-break for the event is having a big club with a big following involved. At the risk of upsetting some fans, last year was the first without a "big" club being involved and it was only really Leigh that took a sizable following. Previous years have really relied on Bradford and/or Hull KR to boost the crowd. Losing both of those clubs knocked nearly 4,700 from the gate last year. 

• Like 1

I like it.  Sky show all the games which is a real bonus considering how few Championship games they do show.

I love the Superleague Magic weekend and I really liked the NRL one last week.

The more games to watch, the better.  The TV companies clearly like it so that is at least one good thing.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, whatmichaelsays said:

I suspect the overall plan is "to make money". We don't need to keep insisting that every initiaitve has to have lofty goals (such as expansion) by which it should be measured - doing so only sets the idea up to fail. 

Whether it makes money is the big issue. I suspect, on the basis of last year, the make-or-break for the event is having a big club with a big following involved. At the risk of upsetting some fans, last year was the first without a "big" club being involved and it was only really Leigh that took a sizable following. Previous years have really relied on Bradford and/or Hull KR to boost the crowd. Losing both of those clubs knocked nearly 4,700 from the gate last year. 

Nest year should see bumper attendances with a Leeds Bratfod 'derby' on the cards

• Confused 1

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

The summer bah like the magic weekend serves absolutely no purpose. All it does is make it a lop sided league

• Confused 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Don’t see the point of it tbh. It effectively replaced the northern rail cup as the. Championships big day out. I’d scrap Magic Weekend and Summer Bash to stop fixture over kill and it may help reinvigorate the Cup Final as rugby leagues big day out

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Correct me if I’m wrong but the MW is put out to tender and stadiums/cities/clubs bid for the privilege of hosting. Do the RFL get anything from Blackpool FC, the owners of Bloomfield Road (if different) or the Blackpool council?

rldfsignature.jpg

A better option would be to mix up with SL magic weekend. Same weekend but 2 venues 

Show SL and championship games at each venue

As a Saints fan would rather watch say toronto v toulouse than a couple of other Sl teams

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

It's to give the northern oiks who support championship teams a 'day out at the seaside'.......or at least that was pretty much what was said when first announced.

And the magic weekend?

1 minute ago, DEANO said:

And the magic weekend?

Magic Weekend is supposedly to take and market the game to 'new' places/areas. As someone said above, Blackpool is hardly a new area for RL and has been tried, and failed, on several occasions as a base for a 'pro' RL team.

It's one of those events where 'rugby fans' on RL websites say how #### it is in the week leading up to it, and then say how much they enjoy it when it is on.

Edited by Just Browny
  • Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

It’s totally not necessary and makes a farce of the league table

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I’ve never been sure what purpose the Bash holds for Championship clubs or the wider game of Rugby League. Do the clubs make any money from the weekend? And I don’t see the weekend used to boost expansion as Blackpool has been done twice now and failed both times and as far as I’m aware, there’s not much RL round there and certainly none that is aiming for the lower leagues anytime soon. 

The attendance never seems that good on TV, with very noticeable patches of orange seats all over the place. Maybe a smaller venue may be better but then you’re taking the weekend away from Blackpool, where people, I guess, seem to want to visit. It’s a bit like the Magic Weekend, I get the impression fans like Blackpool, as fans liked Newcastle and we’ve seen the uproar about that change. 

I’d go big for the Bash weekend and go back to the old school for one weekend only and would re-introduce the 3pts for a win, 2pts for a draw and 1pt for a loss under twelve points for the round of Bash fixtures to do something different. I enjoyed that format anyway but I think both the Bash and the MW need something on top of it just being a round of fixtures in the same ground. 

It's a get out of jail free card for sky so they can argue  we  "DO"  televise the championship

• Like 1

Why quite honestly has everything got to have a 'purpose' to exist ...

Coaches and Players have stated in the article that apart from one or two reservations regarding the match 'turn arounds ' its a concept that they enjoy and value . (John Kears comments were spot on )

My social media feeds have since last night been buzzing with statuses ,photos and videos of supporters from all the Championship clubs beginning to get their weekend started in Blackpool . Everytime I've attended it has been a cracking atmosphere and provided some long lasting memories.  Commercial tie ups by the Club with the big bars giving supporters their own 'HQ' (Walkabouts for Bradford , The Manchester for Leigh) add to the day ..  ok so it might a bit of a Northern day out at the seaside  but if it's finacially viable and the clubs and fans are happy,  quite frankly who bloody cares (and for the record I've attended SB with plenty of Southern RL fans who've enjoyed it just as much as anyone else ) .

Yep we all know that Blackpool is a bit of a dump but quite honestly if it means that weekend accomodation is affordable e to most fans to make it the weekend occasion that it is  , then why change it ?

Can we not for once just have something that is enjoyable and would be missed by many if it was binned .. if you dont like it dont go, simples , meanwhile the rest of us will either be in the stands at Bloomfield or enjoying a full afternoon in front of the telly watching some cracking games .

Edited by Rach
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Rawschach said:

I like it.  Sky show all the games which is a real bonus considering how few Championship games they do show.

I love the Superleague Magic weekend and I really liked the NRL one last week.

The more games to watch, the better.  The TV companies clearly like it so that is at least one good thing.

I agree...anything different is welcomed ....planning on getting to the Bash next year....unfortunately if you know what I mean

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

To give northern oiks who support Super League teams a day out in the city! 

Excuse me....it's for southern oiks too

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My point is it makes a mess of the league table

1 hour ago, DEANO said:

My point is it makes a mess of the league table

I bet you have a good time.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.