Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Oliver Clothesoff

Robert Elstone on the Anfield Magic Weekend

“What I will say is that we’ve got a lot of work to do, both Super League and clubs to get to our budget attendance”. 

That’ll be what happens when you take the venue away from a city people wanted it to be held in and people enjoyed visiting in the past, Bobby. 

I assume they’ve taken it to Anfield because the council bid for it and the bid was worth more than the rest. 

Althoigh I think Magic Weekend has out grown its purpose and I wouldn’t be against scrapping it, having it in Newcastle benefitted the sport a lot more than having it in Cardiff, Edinburgh or Manchester. The game in Newcastle seems to have grown and I see no reason if it was marketed right that St James couldn’t sell out.

Id like to know if there is some sort of lecacy plan for Liverpool

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

“What I will say is that we’ve got a lot of work to do, both Super League and clubs to get to our budget attendance”. 

That’ll be what happens when you take the venue away from a city people wanted it to be held in and people enjoyed visiting in the past, Bobby. 

I know southern fans aren't a priority but Newcastle is so far away

• Haha 1

Since Liverpool FC built that new stand they applied for and got permission for a set number of ' events ' to be held at Anfield , this most likely where the decision to move there came from 

Just like the new White Hart Lane , UK stadium owners are looking at getting more usage and revenue out of their facilities , as they do in the US 

• Like 1

I dont think there's anything wrong with the decision to go to Liverpool, just crazy to do it at a time when all the cities hotels are booked up for something else.  Im gonna go but just for the Saturday, done the full weekend for 6 years running

3 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Train up on the Saturday morning was full of southern RL fans

I'm not a morning person...I also genuinely think Newcastle is overrated...done couple of stag dos there and the women look like hippos

How about we hold it at MK stadium.....just the right size, great facility and I could get the bus there

• Confused 2

12 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I'm not a morning person...I also genuinely think Newcastle is overrated...done couple of stag dos there and the women look like hippos

How about we hold it at MK stadium.....just the right size, great facility and I could get the bus there

That’s fine. Many don’t. Many southern fans enjoy the weekend there. 

Because MK’s ground is in the middle of nowhere, is probably why it’s not a good idea and probably because they’ve not bid on it. 

53 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

That’s fine. Many don’t. Many southern fans enjoy the weekend there. 

Because MK’s ground is in the middle of nowhere, is probably why it’s not a good idea and probably because they’ve not bid on it. 

Middle on no where??? A man who is tired of Bletchley is tired of life

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I know southern fans aren't a priority but Newcastle is so far away

Somewhere central would be good, maybe one of the Birmingham Stadiums? There are lots of facilities in the city centre. It's also the best connected city for Rail Links and a day trip from Manchester or London. 🦌👍

• Like 1

Sexist and animalist,you Bronco you.

Too many roundabouts in MK.Not enough pubs,for those so inclined.Too far from railway station to stadium.

You must know that whatever is decided there will be those who complain.

I think everything the elite clubs owners decide is correct,and Mr Elstone has not done anything wrong since he was appointed.

However,if Anfield is not a success then his one original decision has been incorrect.

The disenfranchised followers of League 1 clubs may sit up and take notice.

Born - didn't ask. Dying - didn't argue                                 

Liverpool was never a great location imo. Anfield isn't in the best position, Liverpool doesn't have that many hotels etc and whilst people assume that more people would go in the heartlands history already showed us that that was never really the case Manchester didn't get a lot more people than Newcastle or Cardiff. 

Also in terms of distance from the heartlands Liverpool is kind of the worst distance away from the heartlands. Not far enough for many to have to make a weekend of it, far enough away that some wont bother, close enough for some to only go for a day.

Personally I don't think the heartlands should be hosting the Magic Weekend, the Etihad and Old Trafford are big enough to hold it but we already have the GF as the big event in Manchester and that should be stuck with. Elland Road would be an option if re-built a bit bigger (and with a fair bit more legroom for anyone over 5"5) but none of the others are either close enough to the heartlands to attract big numbers of day fans, or big enough city/destinations to attract the weekenders.

Personally i'd love to see them use the new Tottenham stadium as rumoured but the question then is how many fans are going to London twice in a couple of months for Magic and a CC final, and that's a bigger question if, as i'd hope, we try and hold an international in London every year as well. 

Newcastle was a great location, city centre, far enough away to convince people to make a weekend of it, big enough to hold the churn but not too big, im not sure of another stadium that could offer the same in the UK. I would either go to Newcastle and stick with it for the next 10 years and work to sell more tickets in Newcastle or take it out to tender to European cities trying to get the tourism dollar, possibly even selling sponsorship to someone like Jet2 and Ryanair and let them sell packages including tickets etc

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hemel Stag said:

Somewhere central would be good, maybe one of the Birmingham Stadiums? There are lots of facilities in the city centre. It's also the best connected city for Rail Links and a day trip from Manchester or London. 🦌👍

Villa’s ground, the biggest in Birmingham, is quite a schlep from the nearest metro station and again, there’s very little around it. The plus is large car parks, so a potential site for a fan park, though I suspect they’d need most of the car parks to be in use. 

9 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Villa’s ground, the biggest in Birmingham, is quite a schlep from the nearest metro station and again, there’s very little around it. The plus is large car parks, so a potential site for a fan park, though I suspect they’d need most of the car parks to be in use. 

Been to the Birmingham City Ground once. Got dragged along by a work mate intent on converting me into a Birmingham FC fan. That was a nice modern facility, capacity approx 29,000. Bit of a walk from the station but doable, stopped for a couple of pints on the way. Good day out. A good location for a two day Rugby festival is not so easy to find.

37 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Too many roundabouts in MK.Not enough pubs,for those so inclined.Too far from railway station to stadium.

I think everything the elite clubs owners decide is correct,and Mr Elstone has not done anything wrong since he was appointed.

However,if Anfield is not a success then his one original decision has been incorrect.

Personally I think Anfield is the best option and will work....could do with more roundabouts but you can't have everything 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Hemel Stag said:

Yep....very underrated night out in Brum too

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Liverpool was never a great location imo. Anfield isn't in the best position, Liverpool doesn't have that many hotels etc 

You obviously don't know Liverpool,  hotels they have no shortage, it caters for far bigger visitors than the magic event can provide.

On the magic experience I lost interest after two years at Newcastle after going all previous ones. Only going to  Anfield because its local.

Edited by ELBOWSEYE

2 hours ago, TheConductor said:

How about having it a newcastle rivals The Stadium of Light ?

Have you ever been to Sunderland? I literally couldn't think of a worse place to have it. Most fans would end up staying and drinking in Newcastle anyway as the away fans do when their team are playing against Sunderland in the football. Most people coming via train would need to go to Newcastle then travel from there to Sunderland as well. Can't see it being very appealing.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Jimbo78 said:

Have you ever been to Sunderland? I literally couldn't think of a worse place to have it. Most fans would end up staying and drinking in Newcastle anyway as the away fans do when their team are playing against Sunderland in the football. Most people coming via train would need to go to Newcastle then travel from there to Sunderland as well. Can't see it being very appealing.

Yes I agree with that.

2 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Pray tell, what has he done positive?

He keeps saying what 'we' need to do, so what is he doing about it?

• Like 1

Personally I think Anfield is the best option and will work....could do with more roundabouts but you can't have everything 

I went there for the test v NZ last season, I am not overly tall at 6'-00 but you have to sit side saddle on those seats there is so little leg room between the tows,  so uncomfortable, I wouldn't like to sit in them for any length of time, I wouldn't attend for that reason alone.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I went there for the test v NZ last season, I am not overly tall at 6'-00 but you have to sit side saddle on those seats there is so little leg room between the tows,  so uncomfortable, I wouldn't like to sit in them for any length of time, I wouldn't attend for that reason alone.

I'd be doomed for leg room then