Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheLegendOfTexEvans

Live Stream - North American 9s

Recommended Posts

Round 2

 

(19:00) 2:00pm ET - Canada Rugby League v Latin Heat - Rugby League
2:30pm ET - USA Rugby League v Jamaica Rugby League Association
WOMENS
(20:00) 3:00pm ET - Jamaica Rugby League Association v Ontario Rugby League

Edited by TheLegendOfTexEvans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if anyone managed to see any of these streams (nod to Tex for the post). It was admittedly a challenge, such was the sheer amount of RL broadcast yesterday.

It was insightful to hear the views of North Americans, as they interspersed their commentary with their thoughts on RL.

I picked out the following:

  • They were eagerly awaiting confirmation of the NA teams in the RFL, but queried whether entry in 2020 was at all realistic.            (I thought I heard mention of an announcement for Magic Weekend, so that could well be the last opportunity in time for 2020)
  • Aside from New York and Ottawa, the cities of Boston, Philadelphia Detroit and Chicago were suggested as ideal locations for RL teams. There was mention of good things happening at Chicago Stockyarders and perhaps a linkup with Ontario RL.
  • They clearly savoured the thought of the rivalries between these NA cities/clubs, and suggested that there would be significant numbers of fans ready to travel to away games. 
  • In the women's competition, there was a Jamaican 9s team, competing for the first time and, apart from the Canadian RL team, there was a newly created Ontario RL team. 
  • One of the commentators had only become involved with RL three years ago, and explained how welcoming the sport was to potential players, helpers or supporters.

Overall, the commentators were really enthusiastic about this sport which existed in many parts of the world. They knew all about Red Star Belgrade, never mind the Australian and UK hotbeds. 

The lack of negativity can be quite disconcerting...

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Manxmanc said:

 

The lack of negativity can be quite disconcerting...

 

Then they aren't trying hard enough.....send them a link to big fat Gary Schofield's podcast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watching USA vs Canada (round three) on the Toronto Wolfpack Facebook page. Looks like a some players look not bad, although rough and some poor decision making, but there is talent that could be taught to play at an ok level.

Interesting points they are making about how kids would prefer to play rugby league compared to rugby union. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, North but south said:

Just watching USA vs Canada (round three) on the Toronto Wolfpack Facebook page. Looks like a some players look not bad, although rough and some poor decision making, but there is talent that could be taught to play at an ok level.

Interesting points they are making about how kids would prefer to play rugby league compared to rugby union. 

I've made this point before. A good college athlete ( of various sports) could pick up RL to a good standard ...not talking pivots but speed on the edges or grunt in the pack....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Manxmanc said:

The lack of negativity can be quite disconcerting...

Yes where's the screensaver gone?


  Job's worth, job's worth more than my job's worth         

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, North but south said:

Interesting points they are making about how kids would prefer to play rugby league compared to rugby union.

Surely not!

  • Like 1

  Job's worth, job's worth more than my job's worth         

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Oxford said:

Surely not!

It wasn't the usual things as it was talking about how sports are taught in North America and was very specific to why league support the way sports are taught in America over Union.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, North but south said:

It wasn't the usual things as it was talking about how sports are taught in North America and was very specific to why league support the way sports are taught in America over Union.

That's funny I thought it was about relative enjoyment when you use the comparative term more and enjoy in the same sentence. Isn't that what the label is telling us is in the tin can?

Edited by Oxford

  Job's worth, job's worth more than my job's worth         

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bird said:

 

 

9 hours ago, Manxmanc said:

I don't know if anyone managed to see any of these streams (nod to Tex for the post). It was admittedly a challenge, such was the sheer amount of RL broadcast yesterday.

It was insightful to hear the views of North Americans, as they interspersed their commentary with their thoughts on RL.

I picked out the following:

  • They were eagerly awaiting confirmation of the NA teams in the RFL, but queried whether entry in 2020 was at all realistic.            (I thought I heard mention of an announcement for Magic Weekend, so that could well be the last opportunity in time for 2020)
  • Aside from New York and Ottawa, the cities of Boston, Philadelphia Detroit and Chicago were suggested as ideal locations for RL teams. There was mention of good things happening at Chicago Stockyarders and perhaps a linkup with Ontario RL.
  • They clearly savoured the thought of the rivalries between these NA cities/clubs, and suggested that there would be significant numbers of fans ready to travel to away games. 
  • In the women's competition, there was a Jamaican 9s team, competing for the first time and, apart from the Canadian RL team, there was a newly created Ontario RL team. 
  • One of the commentators had only become involved with RL three years ago, and explained how welcoming the sport was to potential players, helpers or supporters.

Overall, the commentators were really enthusiastic about this sport which existed in many parts of the world. They knew all about Red Star Belgrade, never mind the Australian and UK hotbeds. 

The lack of negativity can be quite disconcerting...

 

The stream was awful i have to say.  Turned it off, Nate does a great job.

But the rest was like being stuck on a bus listening to a really boring conversation of really self-absorbed people.

The commentators put so little effort into what they were doing i felt embarassed i had shared it.

It makes our sport look really poundshop having it on the international rugby league page.

After watching the highly entertaining Greece v Norway it was a huge disappointment.

If what i write upsets people, good.

A lot of people would have put effort and money in getting to a competition which was ruined by people putting zero effort into presentation.  Complete failure to even tell you what you were actually watching while games were in play.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Way to go Tex.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...