Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
saintspete83

A magic alternative

Right I'll admit I'm not a magic fan to be honest but I don't want to talk about why I don't like it. What I do want to talk about is an alternative and it might help justify 1 of the loop fixtures if they are here to stay. My solution would be scrap magic and have "Big One events" clubs should be issued the challenge to have a crack at the attendance record.

Instead of the magic weekend when all fixtures are crammed in, there should be big games spaced every month with fixtures like the examples below

Saints v Wigan or maybe Warrington @ anfield or goodison or etihad

Hull v Hull kr @newcastle

Cas v Leeds @elland Rd (yes again)

These are just examples but I think they would serve the game better then MW and it would mean no fan burnout in regards too watching 4 games in 1 day as that is to much for most. I'd play them on Saturday afternoons/evening so it gives travel time for the general fan to attend. 

Saracens in RU average about 10k a game but can get 60k+ to Wembley. Even relegated Newcastle falcons who average 8k attracted 27k to St James Park against Sale who average 6k. Done well this works. 

Today's stand alone fixture in Barca shows how these events work. Wigan took far more fans today to Spain then they did to Saints in Feb. I'd definitely attend fixtures like these. 

• Like 2

I like magic weekend - can we not keep it and try your idea as well?

Surely the fans would go to magic and a big game at a football ground if there was plenty of notice and they were kept away from magic and the cup final?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rawschach said:

I like magic weekend - can we not keep it and try your idea as well?

Surely the fans would go to magic and a big game at a football ground if there was plenty of notice and they were kept away from magic and the cup final?

I’d rather have on the road games than magic, have high profile games at Barcelona, Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle and London

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Magic doesnt work for me, Warrington have sold the most tickets at just over 3500 and if you pass that through lower numbers for all the rest it does not look good. I bet wigan took more to Barcelona so more games like these are probably better even double headers. But not full weekend set up like magic.

• Like 1

Been to Liverpool today. Saw plenty of flags for women s hockey world cup. Saw nothing for the Magic weekend. I'm assuming that the RFL think people will just turn up.

15 minutes ago, doc said:

Been to Liverpool today. Saw plenty of flags for women s hockey world cup. Saw nothing for the Magic weekend. I'm assuming that the RFL think people will just turn up.

Rugby league in not promoting itself very well shocker.

I love the magic weekend. Regardless of venue, attendance etc, I think it's always an enjoyable weekend. But we need to do more to push it beyond existing RL fans. 

• Like 2

I do like doing a day of Magic as a good day out with my mates and as perhaps one of the younger forum members that's just the craic. 

I don't think playing big games in Big stadia that chases this attendance record has to be in place of Magic. Should be and can be complimentary. 

Point is still that the clubs that can host and be opposition in these big fixtures are still those that are in and around the big games in general anyway, so without magic fans of the smaller clubs still lack a game in a big event.

1 hour ago, Mr Plow said:

I’d rather have on the road games than magic, have high profile games at Barcelona, Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle and London

That's pretty much the idea, but play to strengths at first and keep them local. On the Rd was tried in 98 or 99  and was OK at best. 

Edited by saintspete83

11 minutes ago, saintspete83 said:

That's pretty much the idea, but play to strengths at first and keep them local. On the Rd was tried in 98 or 99  and was OK at best. 

Yeah I agree, have Leeds play at Elland Road, Wigan at Etihad, Saints at Anfield ect

• Like 3

I've enjoyed Magic whenever I've been to it but have often wondered if 3 double headers in different cities may work better, this gives a bit of what Magic does with multiple fans and also a bit of one-the road games. If each of them was on a different Saturday the combined attendance may be higher too.

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

I would like to see super league at Blackpool 3 double headers on  may bank holiday . Two games Saturday , two sunday and then two Monday .

Chief Crazy Eagle

I agree with the idea of changing to double headers but Blackpool is not the venue. We need to be going for big cities, Newcastle, Liverpool, Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester, Birmingham, Dublin, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Barcelona. 

I also think it shouldn’t be an additional fixture, each club should give up one of their extra loop home fixtures. The events could be spread across the season with the big clubs playing in several of them.

How about a bit of market research and then decide what the best way to go is?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Job's worth, job's worth more than my job's worth         

For those clubs wh own their own grounds is there any real incentive to taking the big games elsewhere and losing massive income on matchday sales from a big crowd ,

Please dont let's kid outselves that we are that big a sport that that revenue is not important to clubs finacial planning 

Maybe we could try and actually market the Magic Weekend to people outside of Rugby League circles? We have the best kept secret in the sport and have a product (Magic Weekend) that is unique and should be exciting and entertaining, whilst offering fun aside from what’s happening on-field, but we don’t seem intent on telling people about our sport. 

I listen to Talksport sometimes on the way to work and I have no interest in Rugby Union whatsoever but I know that their RU Premiership Final is taking place on Saturday 1st June and tickets start from £35. I’ve never heard an advert regarding RL on radio, recently London Broncos tweeted Talksport and the woman presenter called them an American Football team, that’s how little the game is known. 

I like the Magic Weekend and think it should stay, with a few minor tweaks. It’s our biggest weekend of the season that’s fully inclusive (unlike a Final) but the league doesn’t do enough to market it. 

The OP’s idea is essentially “On the Road” games that have been done before and I’m not sure how successful they were. I also don’t think you’d get sides willing to lose their most financially lucrative home game each year to be told to hold it elsewhere. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

the woman presenter called them an American Football team, that’s how little the game is known. 

We mustn't confuse her ignorance with the sport's footprint. We should be more amazed and disappointed that a sports presenter displays such a lack of knowledge and still has a job especially on a sports station.

• Like 2

Compare & contrast with Barcelona where you had the football club putting out social media stories several times a day, emailing their members, local paper & tv running stories every day. Even in France, where the media generally actively ignores RL, there was a press conference with the regional president that made local tv.

Has there been anything similar for Magic? Daily Post running competitions for free tickets in Liverpool? LFC promoting the event to their fans? Mayor of Liverpool (who's usually not shy of getting in front of a camera) welcoming the event to the city?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oxford said:

We mustn't confuse her ignorance with the sport's footprint. We should be more amazed and disappointed that a sports presenter displays such a lack of knowledge and still has a job especially on a sports station.

Have to disagree.  The fact a sports presenter has no idea about the sport, coupled with various peoples mention about lack of marketing you must conclude that her ignorance on RFL has EVERYTHING to do with the sports footprint.  

The only media presence I have heard from the RFL is  on BBC Radio 1 on my way to work, when the occasionally mention the scores of the weekend

2 hours ago, Oxford said:

Lazy. That’s what that excuse is. A sports presenter on the leading sports radio station has no clue who a Rugby League team is. I think that says everything about where we are as a sport in 2019. 

1 minute ago, TboneFromTO said:

Have to disagree.  The fact a sports presenter has no idea about the sport, coupled with various peoples mention about lack of marketing you must conclude that her ignorance on RFL has EVERYTHING to do with the sports footprint.   

The only media presence I have heard from the RFL is  on BBC Radio 1 on my way to work, when the occasionally mention the scores of the weekend

Well no you don't have to come up with that as the reason.

The lack of marketing is an issue certainly. Her ignorance given her job is down to her. Some of that may be background but when I start any job one of my first tasks is obtaining a breadth of knowledge to do it effectively. Not knowing about a sport that over 1 million people go through the gates of is an appalling lack of attention to the role.

You are correct about the lack of media presence and it always begs the question what exactly do the RFL do?

2 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Lazy. That’s what that excuse is. A sports presenter on the leading sports radio station has no clue who a Rugby League team is. I think that says everything about where we are as a sport in 2019. 

That's not an excuse and are you saying you really don't understand how all this works?

There are many things we could do most of which we don't do. I don't let our own off the hook on this I'm just highlighting the obverse of the coin.

It has as much to do with how you see your job, what you do to do it well or whether you're simply content to be ordinary at best.

You'll find her getting an award for sports journalism soon no doubt.

Edited by Oxford

7 hours ago, Oxford said:

How about a bit of market research and then decide what the best way to go is?

That is far to radical.

• Haha 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Just now, Padge said:

That is far too radical.

i know you should've heard my guffaws as I typed out the words.

5 hours ago, JonM said:

Compare & contrast with Barcelona where you had the football club putting out social media stories several times a day, emailing their members, local paper & tv running stories every day. Even in France, where the media generally actively ignores RL, there was a press conference with the regional president that made local tv.

Has there been anything similar for Magic? Daily Post running competitions for free tickets in Liverpool? LFC promoting the event to their fans? Mayor of Liverpool (who's usually not shy of getting in front of a camera) welcoming the event to the city?

And that's exactly the point. I tend to take fans/posters to task about being negative but the lack of effort and impact borders on insane.

It smack of relying on your base market to turn up without drive or purpose.

It's better under Elstone but I'd like to see a campaign for each of our events.

Just now, Oxford said:

And that's exactly the point. I tend to take fans/posters to task about being negative but the lack of effort and impact borders on insane.

Should clarify that those were questions - I don't know what, if any, promotion there has been in Liverpool.