Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Total Rugby League

Ottawa bid accepted by RFL for 2020 start – but New York entry delayed until 2021

Eric Perez’s bid to launch a rugby league team in Ottawa for the 2020 season has been accepted in principle by the Rugby Football League – but the consortium from New York will have to wait another 12 months to fulfil their vision of playing in League 1. League Express revealed on Monday that while both the Ottawa and New…

The post Ottawa bid accepted by RFL for 2020 start – but New York entry delayed until 2021 appeared first on Total Rugby League.

View the full article

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

Fantastic news. It's great to see Ottawa in particular being admitted to build on the good work of Toronto and to consolidate the growth of the game in Canada.

• Like 6

Great news, are they definitely coming in next season? 

3 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

in principle

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

3 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

appears so...guess I will be on hwy 401 if the WP aren't in town..

How far is it, from Toronto to Ottawa?

1 hour ago, RobertAM said:

appears so...guess I will be on hwy 401 if the WP aren't in town..

Me too. But probably by train, hate the 401 with a passion.  My daughter lives in Ottawa so it's all good for me.

The RFL statement doesn't seem to me to say that New York are definitely in for 2021. Just that they should 'work towards entry into League One in 2021'.

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

400km or  250 miles  say a little over 4 hrs

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

Lamport Stadium to TD Place Stadium is 455 km according to Google Maps, 4 hours' drive or so depending on traffic conditions on the DVP, 401, 416 and 417.

Edited by Big Picture
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ojx said:

Me too. But probably by train, hate the 401 with a passion.  My daughter lives in Ottawa so it's all good for me.

I live on harbourfront right across the street from Billy Bishop airport..can walk there in 10mins and if Porter has reasonable flights i can go in and out same day 1 hr each way..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, westside said:

Great news. I bet their crowds will be good. Nice stadium in a prime location.

The only thing that might hurt is the limited parking.

What odds on opening Ottawa game being against London ? Remember you read it here first !

• Like 1

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

1 hour ago, westside said:

Great news. I bet their crowds will be good. Nice stadium in a prime location.

and |i bet there will be a significant number of Wolfpack-ers tripping down to watch the games..with this development I can see RL eclipsing RU in Canada sooner rather than later and giving the CFL a run for their money..

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Fantastic news! Something is really building in Canada and I for one am very excited about it. Toronto and Ottawa, two of the world's great cities and I can't wait to visit them both for games! 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

and |i bet there will be a significant number of Wolfpack-ers tripping down to watch the games..with this development I can see RL eclipsing RU in Canada sooner rather than later and giving the CFL a run for their money..

I think it could even give the NHL a run for its money.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, BJW said:

What odds on opening Ottawa game being against London ? Remember you read it here first !

The way Skolars are going there may not be a London team in L1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Excellent news, hopefully they and Toronto will get to play at home on alternate weekends where possible, be great for Canadian supporters to have a game to attend every week.

If Toronto go up to SL this year I"ll be going over to watch them host Wigan and would love to go see Ottowa play as well.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Whippet13 said:

Excellent news, hopefully they and Toronto will get to play at home on alternate weekends where possible, be great for Canadian supporters to have a game to attend every week.

If Toronto go up to SL this year I"ll be going over to watch them host Wigan and would love to go see Ottowa play as well.

I think that would want Ottawa/Toronto to play on the same weekend but not the same day to make it a whole weekend for visiting fans from Europe etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, creditwhereitsdews said:

Excellent news. Wonder what their name will be... Ottawa Otters? Beavers?

My guess is they go with Irish.

Just now, Whippet13 said:

Absolutely, alternatively if they are both in the same league play them consecutively.