Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Future is League

Catalan Dragons keen on Nou Camp return

Recommended Posts

The event was a success making it part of the regular calendar would seem a good move.

  • Like 2

  Job's worth, job's worth more than my job's worth         

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

WTF is wrong with you Brits?  It's Camp Nou, not "Nou Camp"!!!!!!!!

Because camp nou mean new field in English....we wouldn't call it the field new would we...

  • Like 1

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Big Picture said:

WTF is wrong with you Brits?  It's Camp Nou, not "Nou Camp"!!!!!!!!

You're a bit worked up.

What did you think of the pitch markings?

  • Haha 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they should return, could really help grow the game in Catalonia and Spain. Wasn’t there a Catalonia national rugby league team at one point? 

Could brand it the Nou Camp Challenge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

I think they should return, could really help grow the game in Catalonia and Spain. Wasn’t there a Catalonia national rugby league team at one point? 

Could brand it the Nou Camp Challenge

Deleted. Apologies. 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Oxford said:

The event was a success making it part of the regular calendar would seem a good move.

I agree. Give Catalans one home game a year / other year at the Nou Camp. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

I agree. Give Catalans one home game a year / other year at the Nou Camp. 

I think Guasch and Catalans will just press on with this anyway and leave SL\Elston to carry on sorting itself out.  Their future is getting the game stronger over there above anything else.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My only worry would be that it will get more difficult to sell as the novelty wears off. Fewer people will travel from afar if it's every year compared to a one off that can't be missed. The trick would have to be to increase the Spanish presence year on year and build a following there. Having the game against London or Toronto may help with the publicity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, fevtom said:

My only worry would be that it will get more difficult to sell as the novelty wears off. Fewer people will travel from afar if it's every year compared to a one off that can't be missed.

Both true. OTOH, most Catalans fans don't attend any away games, so a once a year trip to somewhere that's closer than Toulouse (which is being touted as a "derby" on here) isn't too likely to dim the enthusiasm. Plus, French RL fans have been starved of big "events" bar the occasional well-attended Test match for many years. I'd expect similar numbers of French fans to travel if it happens next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, JonM said:

Both true. OTOH, most Catalans fans don't attend any away games, so a once a year trip to somewhere that's closer than Toulouse (which is being touted as a "derby" on here) isn't too likely to dim the enthusiasm. Plus, French RL fans have been starved of big "events" bar the occasional well-attended Test match for many years. I'd expect similar numbers of French fans to travel if it happens next year.

Toulouse used to take me less than 2 hours, Barcelona was 10 or 15 mins more.  Nothing in it by comparison other than Toulouse being far easier for traffic reasons.

Totally agree with the French fans though and, whether we like it or not, Catalans wanting to make a statement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like the idea of Catalans playing a game there once per season - maybe look at doing it provisionally year on year and see how it goes, if the novelty wears off rethink? No need for anything more complicated than that IMO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fevtom said:

My only worry would be that it will get more difficult to sell as the novelty wears off. Fewer people will travel from afar if it's every year compared to a one off that can't be missed. The trick would have to be to increase the Spanish presence year on year and build a following there. Having the game against London or Toronto may help with the publicity.

surely thats a given as it is with all of these things, it is about building the presence in that area... its the same with "they dont travel well so we dont want them in the league" style argument. you need to build your home fans to make sure you dont rely on away. This sort of event is about the Dragons building their reach to more of Catalonia and being a rep side for the area. The travelling british fans are great and can help to cement it while they build the local crowd up to take over. 

Edited by RP London
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, leaguefan13 said:

Make this a yearly event against a different super league side each year 

If they were able to do that then fans of the opponents would only get a possible once in 11 years (unless SL is expanded) chance to watch their team play at the Camp Nou (this one's for you BP).


rldfsignature.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Dragons can build momentum with this and aim for a 50K next year.  Send another club though please.....

Edited by Jean Capdouzey
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to know if the enthusiasm would wear off (this was also on the back of the CC win). If there was enough publicity, notice and a new opponent and possibility of not scheduling the week before MW,  then I can’t see why not. If the sport does t try it won’t know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jean Capdouzey said:

Yes. Perhaps even an NRL side.

Hello Jean, you got fed up with rlfans? Sir kev is on here these days as well. 

Anyway, what would be the point of playing an nrl side? It would be a random preseason friendly, you're not gonna get 30,000 in for that and tbh you aren't gonna get the NRL side to fly over here for it, we have to beg them when it's the world club challenge! 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Hello Jean, you got fed up with rlfans? Sir kev is on here these days as well. 

Anyway, what would be the point of playing an nrl side? It would be a random preseason friendly, you're not gonna get 30,000 in for that and tbh you aren't gonna get the NRL side to fly over here for it, we have to beg them when it's the world club challenge! 

Que?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...