Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Cdd

Women’s Super League

Over 1,000 people attended the Cas Women’s game this week while the Women’s Football competition average is just 833 despite being undisputed media darlings.

Woman’s a Netball is also looked upon favourably by the media.

Is it time for Women’s Rugby League to get some national recognition? Big crowds, big grand final planned, good quality product, fantastic athletes...

Women’s football gets an incredible amount of coverage and women’s netball has a deal with sky sports.... it’s about time Women’s Rugby League got its own TV deal and kicked on along with the surge in women’s team sports.

• Like 8

Let's do it without being snide about other sports. For a change.

Women's Rugby League absolutely deserves a greater profile and it was brilliant to see the positive coverage on Our League and social media on yesterday's game which builds on some good (although belated) work from the RFL.

Would be good to see Sky cover the Grand Final on a main channel this year.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The Womens Challenge Cup final should absolutely be the curtain raiser to the CC Final rather than this 1895 cup nonsense. 

• Like 6

We'll be lucky to get even the occasional mention, nevermind actual coverage.

I emailed the Telegraph about the LDSL suggesting it would make a great feature, but I'm not holding my breath.  Any other sport and the MSM would be over it like a rash.

Sadly the women's game will get tarred with the same brush as the men's. 

Though if it did get greater recognition it would be quite amusing to see how they would justify it when the men's game gets sod all.

Great crowd at the Cas game.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

22 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Let's do it without being snide about other sports. For a change.

Women's Rugby League absolutely deserves a greater profile and it was brilliant to see the positive coverage on Our League and social media on yesterday's game which builds on some good (although belated) work from the RFL.

Would be good to see Sky cover the Grand Final on a main channel this year.

It’s not about being snide, it’s about looking at other sports to see if that can reflect what our own value may be. 

23 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

The Womens Challenge Cup final should absolutely be the curtain raiser to the CC Final rather than this 1895 cup nonsense. 

The 1895 Cup *isn't even* the curtain raiser.

I think a double header for both games is a good idea. Not something I'd say for every sport on every occasion but I think it would work for us in creating a rugby league family type event.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The 1895 Cup *isn't even* the curtain raiser.

I think a double header for both games is a good idea. Not something I'd say for every sport on every occasion but I think it would work for us in creating a rugby league family type event.

I think double headers have their place, not generally something I am in favour of in all circumstances but where there is a reason or link then it makes sense. 

Challenge cup final day makes sense. THe womens cc final, mens cc final, a tag/touch cc final, even masters would be fine by me. 

• Like 1

I think the way the NRL introduced the Women's game to the Australian RL public was the right way to go. Used as a curtain raiser/appetiser to a high level Men's game (international/origin - Can't recall what game it was initially), it put the players and the product in front of their core audience. Putting games on as a seperate occassion means fans will have to actively seek out the event rather than be presented with it.

I honestly think the success of those first few Women's games between the Jillaroo's and Kiwi Ferns and the audience they were able to command was essential for the Women's game to grow so rapidly in Australia/NZ.

If we were to align the Women's game with the men's where possible (curtain raisers to SL games / GF / Cup Final etc) i'm sure we'd see an immediate uplift in interest and exposure for the Women's SL. Could also open up the opportunity for SKY/BBC to show some games as camera's for the men's equivalent would already be there. Even SKY would love more content to play with.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Here's the MSM resolutely excluding women's rugby league from their roster of women's sports:

• Like 1

We can't expect the media to take the Women's Super League more seriously until we as a sport do it ourselves.

Whilst the Our League Livestreams are good, we don't even maintain the RFL Women's Social Channels and the other channels (including web and email) we control the updates are mixed in and often hidden by the Championship and everything else.

Playing their major games seperate to the Men's is a real missed opportunity for the sport. The Grand Finals last year was a classic example of this, both in Manchester, but one was at Manchester Regional Arena, one at Old Trafford both on the same day.

If we want Sky to broadcast the Women's Final, we either have to play them on seperate days or play them as a Double Header, with I'm sure the later being the preference from a cost perspective to Sky.

• Like 3

signature.jpg

Women's RL will suffer the same lack of interest in the media as the men's game does , due quite simply to the lack of genuine International exposure 

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Women's RL will suffer the same lack of interest in the media as the men's game does , due quite simply to the lack of genuine International exposure 

When is England women's next game?

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

When is England women's next game?

No idea , but who are they playing ? 

Edited by GUBRATS

Pleased to see Women’s RL on the OurLeague App. 

I was impressed by the tries last night (highlights via Twitter). 

Skolars tried to get a women’s team together earlier this year. Not sure they had enough interest sadly. Would like to see some clubs in London. 

3 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

That will change.................and watch out for Turkey who are fast becoming the most progressive European nation in this. I expect they will surpass Serbia as the next big genuine RL nation in Europe.

http://www.totalrl.com/rlef-launch-womens-and-wheelchair-european-championships/

To run alongside the men's SL games we need 12 teams to have women's sides. It's taken long enough to get the A teams almost back on track, so there will be challenges but it's a good idea. Certainly do agree with playing women's games immediately before the CC/SL finals, that is a massive incentive to prospective new players.

The women's RLWC is part of the England 2021 package, that gives the UK game a clear target to work towards in development and it was part of the funding bid. Don't know how many teams are going to be in it but would hope it's at least eight - England, NZ, the convicts, PNG, France and three others.

26 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

To run alongside the men's SL games we need 12 teams to have women's sides. It's taken long enough to get the A teams almost back on track, so there will be challenges but it's a good idea. Certainly do agree with playing women's games immediately before the CC/SL finals, that is a massive incentive to prospective new players.

The women's RLWC is part of the England 2021 package, that gives the UK game a clear target to work towards in development and it was part of the funding bid. Don't know how many teams are going to be in it but would hope it's at least eight - England, NZ, the convicts, PNG, France and three others. 

There are more than 12 women's teams already, just split between SL and Championship

5 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

We can't expect the media to take the Women's Super League more seriously until we as a sport do it ourselves.

Whilst the Our League Livestreams are good, we don't even maintain the RFL Women's Social Channels and the other channels (including web and email) we control the updates are mixed in and often hidden by the Championship and everything else.

Playing their major games seperate to the Men's is a real missed opportunity for the sport. The Grand Finals last year was a classic example of this, both in Manchester, but one was at Manchester Regional Arena, one at Old Trafford both on the same day.

If we want Sky to broadcast the Women's Final, we either have to play them on seperate days or play them as a Double Header, with I'm sure the later being the preference from a cost perspective to Sky.

I want to see womens SL grow and grow.... not sure about having their big games tagged on to current major finals etc....  don't want the sparse media coverage of our sport to be lost to the other major game.

As a stepping stone, and occasional use its a good idea.    Just want to see undiluted focus on the womens game, not diminished by the focus on as a tag on.

The NRL approach has been to cram 2 International teams (Oz and Z) into a tiny number of club teams, only 4 in 2018 with .a very short season. That should give a high quality womens game, attractive to tv companies. 

The Superleague is more teams and a longer season, building paticipation and an audience over time.

Its an interesting difference in approach but with the 2021 World Cup looming, I can't see anyone getting near Aus v NZ.

Just now, bird said:

The NRL approach has been to cram 2 International teams (Oz and Z) into a tiny number of club teams, only 4 in 2018 with .a very short season. That should give a high quality womens game, attractive to tv companies. 

The Superleague is more teams and a longer season, building paticipation and an audience over time.

Its an interesting difference in approach but with the 2021 World Cup looming, I can't see anyone getting near Aus v NZ.

That's because it's being played in the UK. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion.