Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Manxmanc

Drinks while watching/listening to the match: Updates

Just looking at the Wigan v Warrington thread and the contributions from Cheshire Setter and corvusxiii, it's strangely fascinating (to me, anyway) to discover what people are drinking whilst watching or listening to a match; whether on TV, the radio,  the internet or actually at the ground.

Maybe, it would be of sufficient interest to note what's going down the hatch, whether a pint of Timothy Taylor's Landlord in a pub in Halifax, a craft beer at the Lamport Stadium or a 4-pack of Tesco lager in the bedroom.

Perhaps I'm being unduly sad...

image.thumb.png.575b1542d97c22e6cf352d0c09c59e66.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by Manxmanc
  • Like 3

I've had a few bottles of Samuel Adams, now having a lovely bottle of white rioja. 

• Like 1

At the match: what ever they serve 😉

At home: a mixture of what ever craft ale is on sale and what ever wine the miss has 

Bourbon aged porter from Siren brewery (based in Berkshire). 

• Like 2

This evening, Quinta de Fafide - Portuguese red wine.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Must recommend the Real Ale Shed at Sunny Cas. Elland Breweries seem incapable of offering poor pints. Scrummy. Here in Kavala I had a scarey moment having to resort to the very usefull Retsina Malamatina but am now back on Georgiade Retsina. Excellent way to follow the TGG whilst attempting the avoid the all encompassing arms of Bacchus. Current tackle count.....10 times world population. Wow!

• Like 1

Rah Rah Emissary:  Our Bigotry will blot out the sun.

Legio XIII:                  Then we shall play in the shade.

Several cans of Stella and several losing bets later, I contemplated a drop of Teelings whiskey, but decided I didn't deserve it !

Perhaps tomorrow, one will fare better.

• Like 1

Several cups of black tea.

Four legs good - two legs bad

In a similar vein I’m looking at getting some beers in for the 2021 WC (yes, I know it’s a way off). The intention is to get some bottles or cans from each of the competing nations. It has to have been brewed in the nation though. None of this brewed in the UK under licence rubbish. I’m already struggling to source any SP in the U.K. 🙄 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

rldfsignature.jpg

I’m a craft beer type. Newtowner or James Squire Swindler.

Other times I move onto the red. Shiraz or Cab Sav. Peterson’s if I’m choosing.

Alternatively, if I’m feeling very tempted, Crystal Head Vodka from the freezer or any Smokey Jap’ Whiskey, no ice.

• Thanks 2

While I do like the occasional cider, beer or single malt, I generally don’t enjoy drinking while watching a game. I lose focus if I have a drink.

12 minutes ago, Copa said:

While I do like the occasional cider, beer or single malt, I generally don’t enjoy drinking while watching a game. I lose focus if I have a drink.

I’ve generally found that to be a good thing over the years. 

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

In a similar vein I’m looking at getting some beers in for the 2021 WC (yes, I know it’s a way off). The intention is to get some bottles or cans from each of the competing nations. It has to have been brewed in the nation though. None of this brewed in the UK under licence rubbish. I’m already struggling to source any SP in the U.K. 🙄 

The sooner West Africa gets involved in the RWC the better - Nigerian Guinness is dynamite!

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Just now, Futtocks said:

The sooner West Africa gets involved in the RWC the better - Nigerian Guinness is dynamite!

Had some Kenyan Guinness once. Or twice. Heading for some Greek wine now. 2.60€ 1.5ltr. Not unreasonable. Any failure to respond due to falling off balcony. Chuffed at MW attendance. Hoping London do it tomorrow.  

Rah Rah Emissary:  Our Bigotry will blot out the sun.

Legio XIII:                  Then we shall play in the shade.

Just now, corvusxiii said:

Had some Kenyan Guinness once. Or twice. Heading for some Greek wine now. 2.60€ 1.5ltr. Not unreasonable. Any failure to respond due to falling off balcony. Chuffed at MW attendance. Hoping London do it tomorrow.  

There's a shop up he road that sells Sri Lankan 'Lion' stout. Not cheap*, but by God it is a stonkingly gorgeous brew. But if I drank that in a climate like Sri Lanka's, I'd be asleep within minutes.

*about £4 a bottle, so a special occasion beer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today, we have been mostly watching Magic from Anfield, can't confirm quantities but can cite a few brands from today's viewing::

Carlsberg

Carlsberg Export

Carlsberg Special Brew

Thatchers Vintage Oak Aged Cider

John Smith's Extra Smooth

Tetley's Original 

Zwiec

Perla

Perla Mocna

Debowe

Karpackie 9%

Kestral Black

London Beer Factory - Hazy Daze

Fullers - London Pride

Dragon Stout

Running low on beers now, will have to start on the Wines & Spirits ! C U 2Morrow !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Tap water. 

Tap water that makes you hallucinate. 

You should bottle it!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Sparse Attendance said:

White Lightning Cider as i listen to the game on my sofa in my front garden. 

The last time I had White Lightning I think I was 15 and threw up on a girl I fancied.   Like something from the inbetweeners.

i didn’t even know you could still buy it! 

😂

• Like 1

For those who like the darker stuff, Black Sheep’s Riggwelter is a beaut and just about right at 6.5%.

Also LIDL do a lovely plum porter called Purple Panther which I think is from the ‘Hatherway’ (sp) breweries or something?

It’s a shame the Flying Saucer brand of bars from the US can’t open up a chain in the UK as they have a great system where you can order 6 beers in small rocks glasses on a tray so you can try each one without over-indulging.   They have about 100 beers I think and you get your name on a plaque on the wall when you’ve tried every beer they sell (obviously not all on one night).

Oh, it’s also like the law or something to try them all with Buffalo Wings and Blue Cheese sauce 🤯

Edited by Cheshire Setter
  • Like 1